Advice on a second board - Never Summer SL? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solitaire View Post
Thanks for the responses.

I'm probably not going to go anywhere like Tremblant/Banff/Whistler for the next year or two, so groomers are probably all I'll be working with in the meantime. Plus if the winters stay this way in the east, it's very rare to get good powder days to go out on.

I like the jack of all trades bit, but am wondering if there is any other board in the Never Summer line I should consider? I read Snowolf's review on the Heritage and he suggested that could be a good board for an intermediate, but I think it's even stiffer than the SL?

I'm not sure if this would translate into it being more likely that I catch an edge...
Yeah, the heritage is stiffer, but it'll be the better board for an intermediate who craves speed. It's not as playful or easygoing as the SL though. Also, the smallest size in a heritage is a 155 and I see you ride a 147. That's a big adjustment. For your stats, I would think a 151 or 153 size board would be better for you.
Mel M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel M View Post
Yeah, the heritage is stiffer, but it'll be the better board for an intermediate who craves speed. It's not as playful or easygoing as the SL though.
That's probably a great way of explaining stiffness. I can't stand trend I see reading these forums where Camber = Horrible in powder and Stiff = No good in the park

Camber may take more muscle in the powder, but it doesn't make it useless. And "the park" is such a blanket statement that there's no one perfect park situation. Nothing wrong with a stiff cambered board for big air, pipe, etc, they're just not ideal for rails, boxes, boning tricks, "buttering" etc.

I guess some guys like Harley's and some guys like crotch rockets...
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:38 PM   #13 (permalink)

Didn't realize the Heritage started out that big - thanks for that. I do feel that would be a bit too large for me, so pretty much knocks it out as a choice.

Pretty much just looking at the SL now I guess. I definitely enjoy going as fast as possible on a groomer, so would only attempt the most basic of jumps/jibs. I've read the board has a fair amount of pop which should be fine for me.

Open to any other ideas, but looking like I'll pick up the 2013 SL once it comes out. Thanks guys
Solitaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:18 PM   #14 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

Im not trying to bash at all but if you think the sl is good in powder you really haven't felt how effortless a real powder board can make it.
I rate the sl 2/10 for riding deep powder.
Dont take offence if you think the sl great in powder and flame me, rather be excited knowing that when you get a proper powder board your riding experience will be even better than it is now.
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Didn't realize the Heritage started out that big - thanks for that. I do feel that would be a bit too large for me, so pretty much knocks it out as a choice.

Pretty much just looking at the SL now I guess. I definitely enjoy going as fast as possible on a groomer, so would only attempt the most basic of jumps/jibs. I've read the board has a fair amount of pop which should be fine for me.

Open to any other ideas, but looking like I'll pick up the 2013 SL once it comes out. Thanks guys
If you haven't seen my posts I've ridden the 2008,2009,2012 SL 155 and think the SL is what you are looking for. I currently ride a 2012
Proto CT 154 and a Summit 161 (I agree with that comment that a dedicated powder board is always better in powder compared to a non-powder board).
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:35 PM   #16 (permalink)

I mI think the Proto would be a better board for you then the SL. It's softer, but it still does well on groomers and is good in the park. Also, I think you said you lived on the East Coast. You are not going to get deep powder much at all there, so don't factor that into your decision. Plus the Proto is sick and it has a carbonium topsheet
ilikecoupons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 10:00 PM   #17 (permalink)

Yes I do live in the East...and to be fair I don't think I even have a concept of what true powder is lol. I think at best I've had 10cm of fresh snow and considered that an amazing day. I am planning a trip out to Tremblant at some point so I might experience it a bit more then.

I did consider the proto, but it seems a bit more park oriented (although this is based more on the description than any real technical breakdown). I perhaps should have specified that I primarily look to go off natural jumps and such that are a part of the groomers, as opposed to going full out in the park.

From reading all the feedback, at the very least it seems like the SL will be a good introduction to various other aspects of snowboarding, which might lead me to buy a more specialized board in the future if required.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:37 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Better yet, since it seems you made up your mind, try finding it somewhere on the cheap. End of season sales can save you big time and in all honesty, I don't believe there's going to be any groundbreaking design changes that will justify the cost difference. If the place you find it, online or in-store, doesn't have it on sale, ask if they price match.

Hopefully it's not too late though, because as far as I know, the NS SL is their best selling board and I had a hard time finding two months ago when I was looking. Most stores in my local area sell out of the SL in mid to early December!
Mel M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:52 PM   #19 (permalink)

Sorry - Had a major brain fart. I ride a 156 Rome Crail...not a 147 (No clue where I got the 147 from...too many sleepless nights).

Not sure if that changes anything...
Old 03-17-2012, 03:14 PM   #20 (permalink)

I just rode my SL for the first time yesterday. I'm 5'9 and 155 lbs. My first board (the one I was using prior to the SL) is a 10 year old Burton Custom. The traditional camber feels more stable when bombing runs, and it feels like it "grabs" better and holds an edge slightly better when carving hard.

Besides those two things, my SL is more fun for EVERYTHING else. And even then, carving is just different on the SL, so i figure I'll get used to it and improve more. I was considering buying a heritage but most of my riding is done is socal where there aren't any big mountains. If mammoth was my home mountain, I'd have gotten the heritage.
fondles is offline   Reply With Quote