new all mountain board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default new all mountain board

Dear people

My name is Sander from the Netherlands, and I need a new board :P
I am 1.90m long and weigh about 85kg. Bootsize 12.5-13

Started snowboarding three years ago on a rental rossignal 165cm board. Didn't went too well.
After that I went to one of the best boardshops in Holland for my own stuff. They had a allmost new park pickle 159w for a good price in combination with Ride Arsenal bindings.

After boarding on it for two year (two weeks a year) I am getting confident at speeds and steep slopes and never disliked my board. I usually just go down all slopes, small bits off-piste and want to learn to ride switch and jib a little. Not interested in the park yet
Last boarding trip I tried a friends 2012 Signal Omni 159. The Omni gave me more grip and feeling beneath my feet, while the Pickle gives me all grip and feeling between my feet. I gues it is the difference between a rocker and a camber board.
I like the way the Omni feels better than my Pickle. It felt like I carved on it better and could go faster without it beginning to bounce.

I am thinking about buying a new board somewhere this year when the sale begins.
I could by the Signal, but than we have the same board, which I think is a bit weird. And maybe there are even better alternatives..
Anyone has suggestions what could be a good board?
sandd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 02:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

I just went through a lot of research and settle on an Arbor Coda (free ride) if you want something more all mountain take a look at Arbor Element. I also research at Never Summer F1.
JeffKish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would love a never summer. The problem is that they are quite rare in Holland and they wont be on sale..
I just read that both Arbor are rockers and I think a like a camber board more. Allready got a good rocker board , like the camber Omni more

Last edited by sandd; 03-19-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

After some research I was thinking about:
Ride DH2
Lib Tech TRS
Gnu riders choice
Signal Omni

Is the 2012 omni just that good or would the others be an even good or better choice?
Old 03-21-2012, 04:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

All good choices (although I wasn't a huge fan of the TRS it disappointed me compared to Rider's Choice).

It is ultimately a question of whether you want the camber from Signal or Ride (not the same shape, but similar), or the Pickle from Gnu. Something else to consider: DH2 and Rider's Choice are both centered stance whereas the Omni has a small setback (but is still twin-shape).

I think the Omni is a bit more playful than either the RC or DH2 and would be, despite the setback, a little more comfortable if you want to venture in to the park a little bit.

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 47

Mt. Brighton - 13
Hawk Island - 6
Mt. Holly - 5
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Boyne Mountain - 2
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Nub's Nob - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandd View Post
I would love a never summer. The problem is that they are quite rare in Holland and they wont be on sale..
I just read that both Arbor are rockers and I think a like a camber board more. Allready got a good rocker board , like the camber Omni more
the Arbor element and roundhouse(wide version of the element)come in a cambered version so if you can find one for a great price...
winterfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

I can vouch for the TRS. I freakin love that board. The magnetraction helps you grip like crazy, the c2btx profile is very stable but playful. I am confident doing everything from steeps to trees to park stuff on it. I have tried the Riders Choice(the non pickle version) in the same length as my TRS(157) and the only real difference i noticed is that the RC is a bit more flexible and that it has a sintered base. The base on the TRS is called TnT Base Material which is an extruded base which doesnt require as much waxing as a sintered base. Some people say that extruded bases are alot slower than any sintered base, and although in some cases is true, i have found that the trs is faster than any other board i have owned that had a sintered base; this is because although it is an extruded base, they mix fluorinated wax in with the base material which makes it naturally fast and then when you hot wax it it becomes even faster, although it doesnt hold wax all that well. Fluorinated wax is the expensive wax that Ski racers put on there skis right before a race that costs a shit ton. I would recommend the TRS to anybody that knows their basics of snowboarding, and if you want something like the TRS but a little softer, then the Riders Choice would be good.
Bparmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 03:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffKish View Post
I just went through a lot of research and settle on an Arbor Coda (free ride) if you want something more all mountain take a look at Arbor Element. I also research at Never Summer F1.
Call me crazy, but I don't think the coda is a free ride board.

to be very honest, for some reason, my coda feels softer than the NS evo's I had. I know, the evo is supposed to be soft, the Coda supposed to be more all mountain. But for some reason, my Coda seems soft as shit, not in a bad way, but quite soft.

I've heard the Coda compared to the NS SL in flex and capabilities and I say, no way, not with this board.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

I saw a video of an Arbor Coda flex test. Made me think it's one very buttery board, but it must be the v rocker that makes it look so soft and noodle-ish. How can a be a board that looks so flexy be an all mountain - free-ride board?
Just asking. Thanks !

Here's the flex test.
Arbor Coda Flex Test - Board Insiders - What is the stiffness of the Arbor Coda? - YouTube
detailwun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by detailwun View Post
I saw a video of an Arbor Coda flex test. Made me think it's one very buttery board, but it must be the v rocker that makes it look so soft and noodle-ish. How can a be a board that looks so flexy be an all mountain - free-ride board?
Just asking. Thanks !
It's not really a "FREE-RIDE" board...

Repping the world's smallest mountains... 2013-2014 snow days: 47

Mt. Brighton - 13
Hawk Island - 6
Mt. Holly - 5
Mt. Bohemia - 3
Mt. Tolle - 3
Boyne Mountain - 2
Pine Knob - 2
Crystal Mountain - 2
Treetops - 2
Alpine Valley - 2
Caberfae Peaks - 2
Urban - 1
Slackcountry - 1
Nub's Nob - 1
Sugar Mountain, NC - 1
Beech Mountain, NC - 1

Last edited by david_z; 03-22-2012 at 09:40 AM.
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote