Burton Ruler vs Salomon Maori ??? HELP - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2008, 10:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
BRTiger

Default Burton Ruler vs Salomon Maori ??? HELP

Here is my predicament. I'm looking for a pair of boots. I can't try any of them on because I live too far south for there to be a decent market for snow sports (if any market at all). I'm a novice/intermediate but picking it up at a good pace. I only board about 12-15 days a year (hopefully more soon) I really need an all mountain boot with medium stiffness. I tend to like a little flex but not a full freestyle range of motion. I have only rented Salomon brand boots but they were run of mill beginner stuff. However, they were comfortable and true to size (10.5 btw). I think I have narrowed my choices down to the Ruler or Maori (feel free to chime in with other recommendations). Obviously, comfort is my first concern and Salomon seems to have a good track record with that. A few friends just bought the Rulers and are very happy with them as a mid range boot. Also, I do not want a lace or Boa style boot. I prefer the pull or draw strings. If anyone has experience with one or both pairs and could fill in the blanks that would be great (remember I am buying blind).

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2008, 04:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
lost in the ugly trees

I have to sugest you just hold off untill you are somewhere that you can try on the boots. I wont ever buy boots without trying them on. If you must buy online at least go try them on and find out exactly what your size is and then order them. Otherwise wait and buy them on your next trip to a resort. Your feet will thank you for paying the resort prices. Lots of times resorts and the little shops down the road from them will have last year boots on pretty good clearence anyway. As far as lace style I absolutely love my Burton speed zone boots.
Mysticfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 11:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
BRTiger

Yeah, I know ideally that would be the best option. However, I may be going to SA this summer and would likely not have the option to buy there. The Salomon boots that I have rented were true to size but they have been seriously broke in (and seriously comfortable). Are Burton boots the same?

Does anyone know of a large dealer with multiple options in the south? I'm located in Baton Rouge and the closest place I know of is in Houston. That area sells out of the seasons equipment rather soon (according to stock online anyway).

Anyone else bought online without trying on first? What are your experiences.

Thanks,
Old 03-22-2008, 07:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
hawk45

I just tried these on today. Super comfortable. The best feeling out of about 6 pairs I tried. And these were on the lower of the majority of the others I tried on. I have narrow feet. I wear a size 11 regular shoe. The 11 Ruler had my toes pressured against the toes a bit much (and I only had on cheapo lowcut running socks. I went with the 11.5's and toes were just touching the front. With a good board sock and little breakin they should be perfect. So I would say they are about half size smaller than standard. But that is just my opinion.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
BRTiger

hawk,

What is the speed lacing like on the Rulers? Is the liner speed lace as well?

Thanks for the reply
Old 03-22-2008, 10:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
hawk45

Yes, it's similar to the other Burton boots. Pull the inner laces and slide the retainer down till snug. Then snug up the inner velcro buckle.