Capita Ultrafear or Gnu Park Pickle? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Capita Ultrafear or Gnu Park Pickle?

Hey guys,

This year I have been on my snowboard for 2 weeks so far. In that time I progressed so far, that boarding on groomers wasn't enough anymore. This season I bought a T.Rice in 157, which worked pretty good. After a few days though I could take every slope without effort, which made me look for other challenges like the park. I jumped my first kickers and took some boxes, which was a lot of fun. However my TRice seemed to be to stiff for some thinks, like doing butters, and playing around on groomers. Therefore I looked for other boards. Right now I can get a pretty good deal on a Capita Ultrafear 155 and a Gnu Park Pickle 153. I basically want a board which is doing well in the park, which has a nice flex for butters BUT which is also able to take me down the mountain at the end of the day. I still want to be able to carve, as I wont change my board as soon as I'm on the mountain. Maybe I'm even going to sell my TRice if I realize that my more flexible board is enough for cruising the mountain.

The Capita has a Waist of 255, which should be fine for my EU44 boots. The GNU board just has a waist of 252, which is rather borderline.

I'm 182 cm big with a weight of 75kg

Any recommendations?

Thank you!
frechdaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 04:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

At your weight and height, I think 153 would be a bit small for all mountain, but you really want to focus on park performance so I guess it's not an issue.

I'd pick the Pickle (I am not familiar with the Capita, and people say they are not too durable, that's why)

3 mm on the waist is not going to make a difference, I think both of these are a bit narrow for you

Last edited by lernr; 03-21-2012 at 04:46 PM.
lernr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:04 PM   #3 (permalink)

6', 165lbs? I'd stick around 155-157. 3mm is nothing, either. About 10.5 US boot size. Any reason you want to go smaller than the T Rice? Sounds like you just want more flex. The longer board will help outside of the park. I've read the Ultrafear is a complete noodle. I'd go with a 156 pickle with your stats.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

The deal ist just on the 153 Park Pickle, the 156 is around 100 more expensive. The Capita Ultrafear is in fact a mid stiff board, maybe you meant the Capita Horroscope, which is indeed a noodle. From what I've heard both boards are great for what I'm looking, I just thought that a 252 waist is too small. My boots are US11.
frechdaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
With extra cheese.

At 75kg (165lb) I would go with a 153 Ultrafear if you can find one since you already have the 157 T. Rice. I got on a 53 UF at 145lb (66kg) and I found it more than enough to bomb around groomers. The guy who it belonged to is my friend who is about 180 (82kg) and he could get around easily but still butter it up. It's a bit of a stiffer board as far as park sticks, so I'd definitely stay smaller on it.
CheeseForSteeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseForSteeze View Post
At 75kg (165lb) I would go with a 153 Ultrafear if you can find one since you already have the 157 T. Rice. I got on a 53 UF at 145lb (66kg) and I found it more than enough to bomb around groomers. The guy who it belonged to is my friend who is about 180 (82kg) and he could get around easily but still butter it up. It's a bit of a stiffer board as far as park sticks, so I'd definitely stay smaller on it.

im 5'10 216# and have a 153 horrorscope (love it to death, can ride whatever with it and throw it around etc...) picked up a 155 ultrafear, hate it, need a 53. my roomate is about your size (5'11, 160lbs) and rides a 151 horroscope in size 11 rome boots no problem, i say that because the ultra is the same shape/width i think (or pretty close.)
sorrybrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have the Capita Ultrafear Fk and it is the best board that I have ever owned. Works great on ice, hardpack, pow If you know how to use it , and overall an outstanding park board. Smooth on rails and stable at high speeds and landings jumps. Highly recommended. If you want bindings too, I have the K2 Hurrithanes on my Ultrafear and it is a great combo.
uh oh a virus 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have an Ultrafear, and really like the board. However, be warned, when this board breaks in, it is SOFT. In retrospect, I should have listened to the Westmark / Blacklist hype.
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan2011 View Post
I have an Ultrafear, and really like the board. However, be warned, when this board breaks in, it is SOFT. In retrospect, I should have listened to the Westmark / Blacklist hype.
half-ass off topic and 60% thread jack but idk about that (never ridden westmark/blacklist) but also have both a horrorscope & draft (153cm) pretty door to door on specs and capabilities, and i much rather prefer my horrorscope over the draft 7/7 days of the week.

seeing how ultra is an upgraded horrorscope, im assuming one of the two arbors are a step up from the draft. (problably wrong though just trying to provide some insight)
sorrybrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 01:12 AM   #10 (permalink)

Power to the Pickle!!
winterfresh is offline   Reply With Quote