Which kind of overhang is preferable: Heel or toe? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 04:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Which kind of overhang is preferable: Heel or toe?

Hi guys,

On my current setup (Yes GBoH with Burton Malavitas) there is just no way to center my bindings properly. I either have 2 cm more overhang on the toe side or heel side, depending on which holes I use to mount the reflex baseplate. So I have to deal with uneven overhang. My question: Which kind of overhang would you rather deal with? More on the toe side or more on the heel side? And why?

Thanks!

Last edited by Basti; 03-21-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 04:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Neither... Make sure your baseplate is turned like the pic below, instead of 90 degrees from that position. I'd be changing setups if I couldn't have my bindings/boots centred on the board, that's probably one of the most critical adjustments!

poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Neither... Make sure your baseplate is turned like the pic below, instead of 90 degrees from that position. I'd be changing setups if I couldn't have my bindings/boots centred on the board, that's probably one of the most critical adjustments!

That's of course how I have the baseplate turned . I think you have to do it that way with the reflexes. Problem is: middle hole = too much heel overhang, lower hole = toe overhang. May be that the asym sidecut of the board has something to do with it.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basti View Post
That's of course how I have the baseplate turned . I think you have to do it that way with the reflexes. Problem is: middle hole = too much heel overhang, lower hole = toe overhang. May be that the asym sidecut of the board has something to do with it.
WTF it don't make sense to me! Are the inserts not centered in the board?

Just looked at a pic and it looks like the inserts might be marginally closer to the heel edge, but I'd think that installing the bindings with the centre holes would be what you're meant to do. Is the board not wide enough for your boots?
Old 03-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
WTF it don't make sense to me! Are the inserts not centered in the board?

Just looked at a pic and it looks like the inserts might be marginally closer to the heel edge, but I'd think that installing the bindings with the centre holes would be what you're meant to do. Is the board not wide enough for your boots?
Yeah, the inserts are closer to the heel edge because of the stronger heel sidecut. Also, the board is definitely a bit on the narrower side for my boots.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

maybe if your boots have an upturned toe then that would be the side to go with?
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
With extra cheese.

I think he means the hole pattern is not fine enough to allow him to get it right in the middle. If your board is asym sidecut then why worry? It's going to handle differently heel to toe which is the idea behind asym sidecuts, anyway: heel sidecut is deeper to compensate for the fact humans can naturally balance better on their toes than on their heels.
CheeseForSteeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseForSteeze View Post
I think he means the hole pattern is not fine enough to allow him to get it right in the middle.
That's exactly what I mean! I know it handles differently on the edges, I'm just not sure which overhang option to use. In theory, it seems to make more sense to have more on the toe side.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Hi guys,

On my current setup (Yes GBoH with Burton Malavitas) there is just no way to center my bindings properly. I either have 2 cm more overhang on the toe side or heel side, depending on which holes I use to mount the reflex baseplate. So I have to deal with uneven overhang. My question: Which kind of overhang would you rather deal with? More on the toe side or more on the heel side? And why?

Thanks!
As poutanen said, ideally is to have neither... but even with size 8 feet I've ended up with toe/heel drag due to the fact that I can angle my board up past 60 degree wrt slope. I'd personally rather deal with heel drag as I end up sitting on my butt ... if you get toe drag you end up face planting in the snow. Also, it is generally harder to get such a deep, tipped over carve on the heelside edge (which is partially why asymmetrical board have deeper sidecuts on the heelside) so you are lesss likely to tip the board over enough to get heeldrag.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 05:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
That's exactly what I mean! I know it handles differently on the edges, I'm just not sure which overhang option to use. In theory, it seems to make more sense to have more on the toe side.
Shoulda bought a Burton EST/ICS system!!! lol

I'd be tempted to install it in the middle position. I'm thinking they put the inserts there for a reason (maybe intended to have more heel overhang with the deeper sidecut?).

There's only one way to find out for sure though...