Proto CT/CTX Specific Sizing Questions - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

Question Proto CT/CTX Specific Sizing Questions

Before I get the millions of "Use the search bar" comments (and trust me I read a ton of posts) I wanted to ask a question about my board, binding, boot setup before I order it because I am slightly unsure and my local shop is running out of stock. The board is about to be out of stock online as well so please answer quickly.

Due to availability issues, I only have a choice of the 160cm Proto CT or the 155cm Proto CTX. I'm 5'9", ~180lbs. For bindings, I'm gonna probably pick up the 2012 Burton Cartels and size 11.5 Burton Hail Boots (fitted at the shop). I measured my barefoot at about 27.5cm.

I was wondering if the wide version (26.1cm waist) is going to be too wide for my footsize because of the Burton shrinkage tech. Also, should I pick up the medium or large bindings? Are these boots a good complement to the board and bindings? Sorry for these more obvious questions but I just need some addition reassurance, mainly since I'm spending a decent amount of cash on this, I want to get it right the first time and this is my first higher-end purchase. If you want to suggest any different component to this setup feel free to do so. Much appreciated.
BiG NicK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Thats a tough call but either should work for you.

One thing though your boots are too big for 27.5. Make sure they fit right as this is crucial. I am 28.5 and I wear size 11 burton rulers with shrinkage tech, they fit like a glove (on my feet).

They should be snug but not have pressure points. Too big is also a problem as your feet will move too much.

I also ride cartels (large) on a 157 proto ct (managed to get one of the last ones).

The boots and bindings fit nicely on the board so on the 160 you will be fine. Then again the 155 CTX will not be too wide either. I even thought about getting it.

I see your choices like this.

CTX 155 = easier to spin 3s or above with, slower egde to edge.

CT 160 = quicker edge to edge transitions for tight turns in the tress etc.

The float in powder should be about the same.

If you want to do park I would wait until next year and get the 157 CT or even smaller at your weight.

If whole mountain free style is what you want to do I would personally pull the trigger on the 160.
dreampow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

Proto 160 CTX here, with Burton TWC (same shrink tech) in size 12. I'm 6'1", 230, so it's on the short side for me but works great all around.

Waist width is 26.5. Board is not too wide, but a regular width would have been ok. Both boards will fit, I think it's just a matter of preference.

And go with the large bindings for sure.
SimonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well my foot measurement is a rough estimate with the ruler I have around lol. I went to the shop yesterday and it was a clear 11.5 with one of those metal foot measurement things (idk what the hell they're called) and boot try-ons. They were pretty tight on my foot, but not uncomfortable... I had trouble getting them off, but I guess that comes in time when breaking them in. I feel the 160 is gonna be a little too long for me, and I got a great deal on the 155 CTX if I take it now so I don't want to wait until next year. Just a quick question though, do the wide boards really make a huge different in edge to edge that people say? Everyone generalizes about that so if you could explain HOW much that would be great!

OH AND BEFORE I FORGET. If anyone could measure their width at the inserts and tell me what size board it is so I can get a good estimate I would <3 you.

Last edited by BiG NicK; 03-23-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 08:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Proto CT/Proto CTX | Never Summer Industries - Snowboards, Longboards, Clothing and Accessories - Powered by CLVR TV

here is waist width and tip and tail measurements for all sizes

If you can get a deal go with the 155 CTX its only marginally wider and with your size feet will be fine. Its a minimal difference but edge to edge is slower, not a big deal at all.
I have a semi wide board and the regular proto and I can feel the difference, but its minimal.

This board is really excellent, you'll love it.
dreampow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

About 27.7 around center insert (160 CTX). Assuming that the waist width is 4 mm less on the 155 and the tip 6mm less, I'd guestimate the insert with to be 5mm less, so around 27.2...

Hope that helps!
SimonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

Alright, so I think I'll pick up the 155 CTX since I can grab it at about $400 new. At worst I have 60 days for a full refund and I can just exchange it for the 160 CT. Hopefully everything works out! Thanks for the help.