Help to choose between 2 boards - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2012, 03:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help to choose between 2 boards

Hi everyone!

Thanks for reading the thread, hope you'll give me some advice on board finding. I'm new to snowboarding (riding the first season) and trying to get my first board. But the problem for me is boot size - I wear US12 size and I'm 5'10, 171lb.

Read a lot of topics on that forum and others about wide/mid-wide boards and minimum waist width I can take with my boot size and decided to get something around 259-261 tail width, as I don't really want a wide board. Then I've looked through almost 300 boards on dogfunk and evo to find a combination of all-mountain/medium flex/midwide boards/158-160 size. For now I have two main choices:
  • Burton Joystick Wide (Size 159/Width 259/Flex 4)
  • Arbour Roundhouse RX (Size 158/Width 161/medium flex)

I don't really have a "riding style" for now, so I'm looking for all-mountain universal board which allows me to try different things out.

What do you think? Maybe I missed some good choices? What would be the best for me?

Thanks in advance for any response!
airmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2012, 08:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

imo burton and arbor aren't really durable from my experience, and i'm sure other people will also make other choices, but a lot of people start out with the GNU Carbon Credit and like it. Also, NeverSummer is a great brand, I got the Evo as my first board and it was great. Don't listen to what the descriptions say right now, you're going to need a softer board to start out before moving on to stiffer boards.
ilikecoupons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 01:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for response! I also like Gnu boards, but the problem with them is that their reglar boards are too narrow for me and wide ones are really too wide Burton Joystick seems pretty soft (4 out of 10 on Burton scale). Arbour is medium soft (I don't know how to compare those two). NeverSummer has a good Herritage X model that will probably go
Old 03-25-2012, 02:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

Take a look at the Yes Basic..the 157 and 159 wides both have a waist width of 26.0mm so that would be on the narrower side as far as wide boards go. I agree with Coupons too that the Gnu CC would also be a good fit. You're big size 12 ogre feet can mos def handle a wider board and if you see a lot of hard pack and ice where you ride the magnetraction on the the Gnu and Lib Tech lines will be a huge help
winterfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

But Gnu CC regular has 25,5 waist width, which is not enough I suppose and wide version already has 26,7 which is definetely too much. What do you think about Gnu Danny Kass? It has 26.0 waist width and all powerful Gnu technologies.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Also, look at the blacklist from arbor great board I take it everywhere. Only problem I have had with arbor so far is that it loves to be waxed.
readimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

readimag, thanks! That is also goes to my collection of boards that could work for me. But I still don't know what to choose((