To those who have owned a Ride Yukon 2001 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2012, 10:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default To those who have owned a Ride Yukon 2001

I'm currently a beginner working on linked turns and I had the opportunity to pick up this board for next to nothing in excellent condition. After I threw on some Cartel bindings it seems to work out pretty well for me. However, would like to learn as much as I can on this board, and internet searching hasn't helped too much.

Basically what I am looking for is a comparison of this board vs the current boards on the market in relations to technological advances so I can get a better understanding of how far things have come in the past 12 years. Also your personal opinions of the board, and your thoughts as to how stiff of a board it is. As a beginner, it can be difficult for me to gauge these things.

Thank you in advance for your time and responses.
BoardingBard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2012, 11:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Seeking knowledge!

You can start by doing a google or youtube search on "Camber, Rocker & Hybrid" boards.
Scarface77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface77 View Post
You can start by doing a google or youtube search on "Camber, Rocker & Hybrid" boards.
I have taken some time to look into these based on the stickies. Should I guess since you are mentioning this that the 2001 Yukon doesn't take advantage of any of these?
Old 03-25-2012, 10:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

The Yukon is the wide version of the Ride Timeless. It's a stiff wide camber board. What length did you get? I bought a 164 in 1999 or 2000 as my first board. The salesman said I needed the Yukon, "since you're tall and have big feet" he said It was way too long, and it was not very fun to learn on. I remember feeling pretty helpless on it the first couple of days. Didn't help that I weighed 155 pounds at the time. Once I learned how to turn it, I really got to like it. It wasn't very fun going slow, but when you picked up speed, it was great. Fast and stable. Rode it up until last year.

From this old thread: http://www.snowboardgang.com/ride-yu...ard-75988.html
"I've had several Yukons and they were great all mountain boards for someone tall, heavy, and big-footed. If that's not you, consider the Ride Timeless. Stay out of the park with either of them, as others have mentioned, they're stiff and want to be ridden hard, not jibbed."
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post
The Yukon is the wide version of the Ride Timeless. It's a stiff wide camber board.
I rode a 164 Timeless for years and still do occasionally.

It's a stiff, cambered, well-dampened beast that plows thru anything and carves like a champ. But...you have to ride it aggressively or it will take you for a ride. It doesn't respond easily to subtle or tentative inputs at lower speeds, so it's not the easiest board to learn on.

Because it is stiff, you'll find a softer board noticeably easier to initiate a turn with. Catching an edge will put you on your ass with the Yukon or Timeless. You will probably find that learning to link turns on it will be more difficult than on a softer hybrid or reverse camber board, but because it is unforgiving, it won't allow you to pick up any sloppy habits.

Where these boards shine is carving at higher speeds.

Last edited by Bones; 03-25-2012 at 11:29 AM.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

yukon is probably not a beginners board.
ilikecoupons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #7 (permalink)

What size yukon do you have? How tall, heavy are you? what size feet?
Athletic or not? What style do you ride or do you want to become? Park, all mountain freestyle, freeride, charging, carving, powder, backcountry etc.

Yukon is a still very good board for what it does, but at certain things it may not be the best option (park).
Not the best board for beginners. If you are heavy and have really short Yukon it may be ok at best.
Between wide width and stiff flex its not the best board to lean skidded turn (beginner). But it is a good board to learn carving etc (intermediate). Definitely would not recommended doing rails. Jumps are ok but not very forgiving on less than perfect landings.

I still ride mine so let me know in more detail what you want to know about.
Is there a board you are looking at?
And do not get rid of Yukon, you will enjoy it later down the line. And you will get nothing for it anyways.

Last edited by srdeo; 03-25-2012 at 12:14 PM.
srdeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you all for the feedback, it is appreciated.

I am 6'4" 270lbs size 12 boot and I consider myself fairly athletic (former strongman). The board is a 169.

It is still too early in the game to pinpoint where I'll end up, however I am the type of person that would like a board that excels at one particular function. I do have my sights on backcountry down the road, but for now I need a good powder and groomer board to ride with my wife.

I am fully aware that I am asking for punishment by learning on this board, but I am a very determined and persistent type of person, so I would not get easily discouraged if it forces me to learn the proper way, which isn't a bad thing at all. I basically picked up the board, boots, and bindings for $125 thinking that if this doesn't work out to learn on I can use it down the road for a number of things. The bindings broke on the first drop, so picked up Cartels and balanced them perfectly so I feel like I have a lot of control on the board. Obviously I don't know what I would be missing on another board.

If I had to pick up another board I've been eyeing the Never Summer Legacy 166 2012, however if I can get the Yukon to do what I need it to, then I'm content in sticking with it.
Old 03-25-2012, 03:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoardingBard View Post
If I had to pick up another board I've been eyeing the Never Summer Legacy 166 2012, however if I can get the Yukon to do what I need it to, then I'm content in sticking with it.
The NS Heritage is better suited for the backcountry and pow, which I think you said you wanted to get into. Still, the Legacy is a great board capable of doing many things.
ilikecoupons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Boots and a board for $125 certainly isn't a bad deal. At 270, you've got the weight to flex a 169 Yukon. All in all, you've probably got a fun year or 3 ahead of you. A softer board would help you in your first year, but at 270 (no offense) you'll overwhelm a soft board once you start carrying speed and and putting force into turns. A 169 Yukon will be a good fit at that point. You'll want something newer and "techyier" after that point, but lots of thing will change between then and now.

And for the price of a couple of lift tickets, it's not a bad risk to take. Enjoy!
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote