Have a 2012 154 Evo looking for a second board: what size SL to get? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 04:34 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Have a 2012 154 Evo looking for a second board: what size SL to get?

I love the Evo but having ridden it in spring ice / slush the last week (still love it) I want a second board that doesn't get bounced around as much at speed/in these conditions.

I can't get an Proto before next season so an SL is the obvious choice. But what size? 155 or 158?

I have found at times while bombing that the 154 has felt a fraction short. But this could easily be the softness too. So would going up in length and stiffness be too big a step up? I've hammered the EVO through some pretty rough conditions and it has taken quite a lot to get it out of it's comfort zone. But in really lumpy slush it was getting to be pretty hard work and I found myself putting the weight back a fraction while carving to keep the nose from burying. This was causing my back leg to get tired after a lot of miles and nose to skip a little. I've just started to spin 180's of natural hits and butter it up in between maching it. So I don't want to compromise these too badly. I also ride switch around 1/4 of the time. I know that the difference between 155 and 158 is likely subtle but any advice gratefully received.

Stats:
Weight 170lb
Height 5'9"
Use: bombing groomers, flatland tricks, small jumps.

Thx
Slush Puppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2012, 08:36 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned!

The SL is the closest board in NS's lineup to the Evo and if you are looking for something that will perform differently, especially what you are describing as the "other" style of riding that you want to do, consider the Heritage or even Premier F1.

I see you say you want this board to do flatland stuff, well you either have to put up with the Evo in those conditions, or change what you want to do.

If you have an Evo, the SL seems like a really poor choice as a 2nd board. 5th board, sure. The SL would almost replace the Evo in your quiver, and not augment it hardly at all.

Last edited by snowklinger; 03-26-2012 at 08:42 AM.
snowklinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

Sell Evo and buy a Proto...! 155 !
Cheer!
Massimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

I have this year SL 155 for sale if you are interested.
yimingration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
The SL is the closest board in NS's lineup to the Evo and if you are looking for something that will perform differently, especially what you are describing as the "other" style of riding that you want to do, consider the Heritage or even Premier F1.

I see you say you want this board to do flatland stuff, well you either have to put up with the Evo in those conditions, or change what you want to do.

If you have an Evo, the SL seems like a really poor choice as a 2nd board. 5th board, sure. The SL would almost replace the Evo in your quiver, and not augment it hardly at all.
I disagree... the SL is more damp and directional, and getting a 158 makes it different enough that you won't be pondering too much about which board to ride depending on the conditions and what you plan on riding.

I definitely wouldn't get a 155 based on your info.

If you do a little of everything each time though and have a hard time deciding, consider selling the evo and getting a proto 157.
604al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massimo View Post
Sell Evo and buy a Proto...! 155 !
Cheer!
Thanks for the replies.

The Proto is the next board in the line-up not the SL. And the SL is reasonably different. With respect Snowklinger you might want to double-check your facts on that one.

As stated I can't get a Proto until next season, hence why I'm looking for an SL instead for my next trip in a few weeks.

Having ridden the 2013 Proto, I know it would suit my requirements well but the SL would probably make a better 2nd board. I'll keep the Evo whatever happens. I had the chance to ride the SL and I should have taken it but I was having too much fun playing on the Evo.

Another reason for considering the SL is for powder riding. So far I've had zero problems riding the Evo in well over knee deep (slightly heavy) pow. But I'd trust the SL better if it got more extreme than that.

I should add that initially at least the board will be paired with Rome 390 Boss bindings fwiw.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slush Puppie View Post
Thanks for the replies.

The Proto is the next board in the line-up not the SL. And the SL is reasonably different. With respect Snowklinger you might want to double-check your facts on that one.

As stated I can't get a Proto until next season, hence why I'm looking for an SL instead for my next trip in a few weeks.

Having ridden the 2013 Proto, I know it would suit my requirements well but the SL would probably make a better 2nd board. I'll keep the Evo whatever happens. I had the chance to ride the SL and I should have taken it but I was having too much fun playing on the Evo.

Another reason for considering the SL is for powder riding. So far I've had zero problems riding the Evo in well over knee deep (slightly heavy) pow. But I'd trust the SL better if it got more extreme than that.

I should add that initially at least the board will be paired with Rome 390 Boss bindings fwiw.
Having demo'd the 2012 Evo, SL, and Proto (now own the Proto 154) as well as owning a 2003 Evo, 2008 SL and 2009 SL. I agree that the SL is decently different from the Evo. It is much damper and a better all-mountain ride than the Evo. The Heritage would be a good option as well (since you want to by this season and so no Cobra)
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks for the input lonerider. I think the heritage might be a bit too stiff - plus it's difficult to get in the uk I think.

Because I've been pretty happy riding the Evo out of it's comfort zone, I think I can get away with only the minimum increase in stiffness/dampness to strike the right balance. I'm as certain as i can be without trying it that the SL will be a suitable board. 158 seems like a big step up.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thanks for the input lonerider. I think the heritage might be a bit too stiff - plus it's difficult to get in the uk I think.

Because I've been pretty happy riding the Evo out of it's comfort zone, I think I can get away with only the minimum increase in stiffness/dampness to strike the right balance. I'm as certain as i can be without trying it that the SL will be a suitable board. 158 seems like a big step up.
Maybe... everyone seems to be riding short boards now so I'm no sure if my experiences will match other people. I'm 5'9 and had the Evo 154 (was 145 lbs), SL 155 (150-155 lbs), and Proto 154 (155 lbs).

Since you are a good stone (~15 lbs) heavier than me, the 158 shouldn't be too much to handle (it will "feel" longer, stiffer, heavier than the Evo) once you get over the psychological intimidation. I used to ride a Madd 158 at 140 lbs and it was great freeriding, off of jumps, and in the halfpipe.
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:

Where exactly are you going for over knee-deep pow in March...?

Also, I think everyone AGREES that the SL is certainly different from the Evo, it's just if it's different enough to justify the need to shell out more cash for that board. Personally, I would just suck it up for this season and wait until next year. I just don't think that the SL is needed, because what are you going to think when the Proto is released? i would say "Wow, I wish I got that board!" if I was in this position. Also, fwiw, the Heritage IS butterable, it's not thaaaat stiff.

Of course, you might have more self-control than me.

Nice choice on the bindings for both the Proto and the SL, so bindings aren't ever going to be a problem.

Let us know what you do get and make sure you make a comparison!
ilikecoupons is offline   Reply With Quote