First board buyer's remorse - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default First board buyer's remorse

Hey all, this is my first post!
After reading tons on this forum I decided to check out some of the deals at my local shop this past weekend to get my own board for next season. I knew what I wanted/needed, but all of the boarders in the shop were big mountain camber guys, so they talked me into buying a Burton Custom camber 158. I'm 6'00 170 lbs, so this would be a pretty good fit size wise. It's a 2012 and I got it for $360+tax. I thought this was a pretty good deal, but after I walked out of the store I was unsure of my purchase. they had k2 slayblades, turbo dreams, burton custom restriced boards, a carbon credit that was a 162, plenty of burton boards including custom rocker (no flying v). So I took out my selection told the rep that I had just started this year, but I've been doing board sports all my life, so I picked it up extremely quickly. On my last day I was doing off piste glades at killington and double blacks. Now I loved the glades, but the main mountain I'll be on doesn't get too much snow. I'd like to learn to butter and do some natural feature jumps, but mainly I'll be going downhill and hopefully trying to get in the trees again! I'm in the east coast, so I won't be getting much powder. Basically will this board suffice for me? should I sell it and get something else? I can probably trade it back in at the store for something of equal or lesser value, but not for certain. They'll let me trade it in for the custom restricted though.

Sorry for the long newbie post, but any advice you guys could offer would be great

Last edited by wcohen93; 03-07-2013 at 12:21 PM.
wcohen93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

This is a great all round board, great price, good choice.
Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamps View Post
This is a great all round board, great price, good choice.
Yup, don't be scared of the camber! That's a good price for the Custom X. If you want to ride all over the mountain, and hit natural jumps it's a great board.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

phew glad I got approval of some more experienced riders! I just realized what I got is very different from what I had originally intended, but they're all means to the same end. Now I can finally stop stressing about it. Thanks guys!
wcohen93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

This board is perfect for you. I'm almost the same size and ride a Misfit 158 for all mtn, which is essentially the same type of board as the Custom. Camber is where it's at if you want to charge the ice coast. I'd say you got one of the best buy's you could find.
Extremo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.

Having said that, if this is your first board be prepared for the inevitability that in a year you'll want something else. Maybe something else instead, maybe something else as well. There are two types of snowboarders: gear whores, and liars.

Yeah, that's me, Tracer Bullet. I've got eight slugs in me. One's lead,
the rest bourbon. The drink packs a wallop, and I pack a revolver. I'm
a private eye.
-- Calvin
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
Having said that, if this is your first board be prepared for the inevitability that in a year you'll want something else. Maybe something else instead, maybe something else as well. There are two types of snowboarders: gear whores, and liars.
I must be a liar then! I'm a die hard anti-quiver person. Sure there's lots of boards I'd like to try for the fun of it, but there's no way I could pick a specialized board for a day as every run I do has a mix of things in it.

It's one of the big reasons I like a stiff, long, cambered board. Sure a dedicated powder board would be better less work in the powder, but I can keep up on the camber. And sure a shorter park board would be easier to spin, so again I just have to work a little harder at it. But when it comes to hard charging on varying conditions, riding a park board or a powder board could be like riding a bucking bronco. I'll stick to the cambered stiffy!

Another reason why I must be the exception to the rule... I rode my first board for 15 years. It hangs on my wall now and I still think about taking it out for a rip, but I'm a little too heavy for it now. Okay WAY too heavy for it...
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
Sure there's lots of boards I'd like to try for the fun of it
Just because you don't buy a bunch of boards doesn't mean you don't drool over them. I guess I have a liberal definition of gear whore. I don't have that much different stuff either, but only because I'm not Bill Gates.

Yeah, that's me, Tracer Bullet. I've got eight slugs in me. One's lead,
the rest bourbon. The drink packs a wallop, and I pack a revolver. I'm
a private eye.
-- Calvin
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:57 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Just because you don't buy a bunch of boards doesn't mean you don't drool over them. I guess I have a liberal definition of gear whore. I don't have that much different stuff either, but only because I'm not Bill Gates.
I don't know. I've just sold almost my whole quiver of six boards, leaving me with two, which is all I need. After trying all the different setups and varieties, I'm very happy that I found the one that suits me best and I don't have to think about which boards to take to the mountain. I for my part am through with testing and drooling because I've found my fits. At least for the next few years
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:03 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
QFT. If I had the money, I would buy the most expensive stuff from every brand and just strut it all over the mountain.
ilikecoupons is offline   Reply With Quote