Sizing issue - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 01:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sizing issue

Hey there.
So after having searched the forum for quite some time, I have been unable to find a post that could even give me a hunch of what size of board I should probably go for. Mostly because I'm not average height, nor wear the average shoe size. I have only been snowboarding once, in Italy 2 weeks back, and I have been totally hooked by it. After having done some research around the web, I'm thinking that camber is the type of board I would like to ride.

Here's my specs;
Height: 195 cm (6' 5")
Weight: 75 kg (165 pounds)
Boot Size: 47-48 EU (12-12,5 US)

I rode a board size 160 in Italy, and that kinda felt too small. Never really made it to my chin.
Also the boots I wore stuck a bit out.
Would a Burton Custom X 164W do?

Sincerely
Cordes
Cordes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2012, 02:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Just tried this calculator with your specs: Snowboard Sizing Guide, Size Calculator

While no calculator is 100% accurate I find this one actually pretty close most of the time.

It says you should be on a 160-162 with about a 258mm waist width. The trouble with you is you're very light for your height and shoe size. Shit I'm 10 pounds heavier than you, almost a foot shorter, with size 8.5 feet! Since it's your weight that will be flexing the board, all boards will feel stiffer to you than they should for a "typical" rider.

So for a first board I'd be looking in the 158-162 range, make sure it's wide enough for your boots, and make sure you get properly fitting boots. I wear size 8.5 shoes but have 7.5 boots. They need to be fairly snug.

A shorter board won't really hurt you, and in fact may help while you're learning. I was on a 153 until about 2 years ago, and moved up to a 159 to cope with increased weight. Shorter boards are easier to turn, and easier to learn on. Longer boards are generally faster, and more stable in the chop.

A Custom X 164 will probably be quite stiff for a first board. A regular Burton Custom 160 will be less stiff, plenty long enough, and should be wide enough without needing a specific wide board. It'll still have plenty of camber and pop, being designed for people from 66-88 Kg.

Edit: If you can find a Restricted Mr Nice Guy 160, it's a little wider than the Custom, and a little less stiff. Again, should be a great first board.
poutanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:55 AM   #3 (permalink)

Default The

Thanks a lot! Yeah, I'm quite lightweight, but after the month of may, I'll begin going more to the gym to gain some weight and volume. But first I have to complete a marathon in may
Cordes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default dh

Consider this in 159: DH Snowboard | Park & Pipe | Ride Snowboards 2011-2012

Whenever I get on my DH I feel like I could conquer the world.
outlyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Check out this thread:
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...ct-videos.html

and this vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_CYX4pJMD8

Last edited by outlyr; 03-28-2012 at 06:58 PM.
outlyr is offline   Reply With Quote