Intermediate boarder looking for some suggestions - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 09:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Intermediate boarder looking for some suggestions

I've joined this forum about a couple months ago, looking for suggestions on what board I should get. This is my first actual season, that I learned how to carve. I would say I am a higher intermediate boarder. I am looking for a board for good speed and all around easy controlled board, that would plow through patches of snow. I've demo'ed k2 happy hour and custom flying v couple times this season. Also, awhile back I've read that GNU carbon credit & k2 raygun were good boards to use as a beginner/intermediate, but I didn't have the chance to try either of those boards so I have no idea how they felt. But I really enjoyed using the k2 happy hour. What board would you guys recommend, any comments are welcome Trying to pick up a board soon so I can catch all the sales.

-(125-130 lbs, 5'5, boot size 7.5) the k2 happy hour was a 151
- west coast, south lake tahoe (if that makes any difference)

If anyone needs any other info please let me know, I really want to pick a good board for me

Need ideas for boots/bindings as well, didn't really look into those yet

Thanks in advance! Much appreciated

Last edited by winters2k; 03-26-2012 at 09:37 PM.
winters2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2012, 10:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

I had the GNU Carbon Credit. I outgrew it in 1 season. What type of riding are you looking to do? Park, all Mtn freestyle, or freeride?

BTW- I swear by Burton bindings. I'd suggest some Cartels.
Liv4Sno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:56 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would buy a happy hour in a minute. I am a little to big for them but own similar boards.
rader023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

Probably just an all around carving board, so I'm assuming all mountain or freerides, no parks. My friend just picked one up this season for like $322, but I don't know if I want to have the same board as him. Although, I love how it looks with the stabby tips and nice design on the board. Cheapest price I find for the Happy Hour is $322, think it will get any cheaper in April?

I've read somewhere that Burton bindings usually only go well with Burton boards? Maybe I'm wrong, I'm still a noob.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:12 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winters2k View Post
I've read somewhere that Burton bindings usually only go well with Burton boards? Maybe I'm wrong, I'm still a noob.
Could be you have it confused with their ICS channel bindings that are only compatible with channel boards. Their normal bindings are as good as anyone else on the market and work just as well on non-Burton boards.
Sudden_Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Can you demo boards? Being in Tahoe I'd imagine you can probably rent anything. I just went thru this myself trying to buy a new board. I read a million reviews, read about all the different shapes and edge techs etc.

I ended up narowwing it down to a 3 models and demoed them. Funny thing was I ended up buying a board not even on my initial demo list. After reading reviews then riding the boards.....all I can say is everyone is different. Demo!!!

The shop deducted the price of three days of demo off the price of the board. Ended up barely more then buying online. Except now I have made some friends at a local shop and I know they will take care of me
mixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:24 PM   #7 (permalink)

I agree with demoing a board if you can. If not, check out a website like Snowboard Gear Reviews By The Good Ride. They have tons of reviews there for boards & other gear. They break it down pretty good IMO.
Liv4Sno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudden_Death View Post
Their normal bindings are as good as anyone else on the market and work just as well on non-Burton boards.
Yep, the toe straps and ratchets are bloody good. I've got about 50 days on my C60's so far and not a single failure of any part of the bindings. Not even a loose screw!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

I did demo boards, but only demoed 2 cause my friend works at sportbasement so I demoed the only 2 board that were my size. (Custom Flying V, K2 Happy Hour) But since the season is ending soon, don't think I'll be able to demo any other boards. So hopefully, I can get some good suggestions on what board I should get. Narrowed it down to 3:
K2 Happy Hour
GNU Carbon Credit
K2 Raygun

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by winters2k View Post
I did demo boards, but only demoed 2 cause my friend works at sportbasement so I demoed the only 2 board that were my size. (Custom Flying V, K2 Happy Hour) But since the season is ending soon, don't think I'll be able to demo any other boards. So hopefully, I can get some good suggestions on what board I should get. Narrowed it down to 3:
K2 Happy Hour
GNU Carbon Credit
K2 Raygun

Thanks!
My GF's riding a K2 Luna for the last two seasons now. She loves the board but after demo'ing a few Burtons with sintered bases, she wishes she has spent the money to get a faster base. For that reason alone I'd choose the Happy Hour over the Raygun...

The board has been very durable, but she's been less than thrilled with her K2 bindings. She's looking for burtons to replace them. She stripped a ladder and she's constantly fiddling to get them tight enough. The Burton Scribes were on the demo boards and again she loved them.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote