Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Setting up Never Summer SL as a true twin? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/48003-setting-up-never-summer-sl-true.html)

GeoFX 03-28-2012 09:24 AM

Setting up Never Summer SL as a true twin?

Has anyone try to set up their Never Summer SL as a true twin for park riding? According to my correspondence with Never Summer, the SL has a twin flex and a twin shape. The only thing that makes the board "directional" is that the binding inserts are set .5" back. So...if you set up the back bindings one notch forward the bindings should be approximately centered lengthwise along the board thus simulating a "true-twin" setup (like the Proto). Never Summer claims this is correct but would like to get real-world experiences. Thanks!

RaID 03-28-2012 09:59 AM

I usually setup my SL with a centred stance for general riding (when there is no powder). Im not much of a park rider but i play around every now and then. Works quite well.

snowvols 03-28-2012 10:06 AM

Dude a .5" of board does not make a difference

GeoFX 03-28-2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snowvols (Post 499184)
Dude a .5" of board does not make a difference

If that was the case then why would manufacturers make boards with a setback then? I always understood that a setback helps with turning and powder floatation.

snowvols 03-28-2012 10:33 AM

It puts a bit more weight on the tail which causes more float. I was referring to park riding. I have ridden the park many a days with a setback and have no problem with spins or slides.

Casual 03-28-2012 10:45 AM

Can you not adjust for this offset with the additional holes in your mounting plate? Usually a binding will have this ability.

mjd 03-28-2012 01:44 PM

if the sidecut is set back the nose is always going to be longer than the tail. but at .5 it's not a huge offset.

readimag 03-28-2012 02:51 PM

I have my Sl set up as a twin for riding all I do is measure from the center of the binding to the tip of the tail or nose. Plus if it is a pow day all I do is move my bindings back a bit and am good to go. Now the coda has a longer nose so that would be a little harder to ride.

GeoFX 03-28-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjd (Post 499243)
if the sidecut is set back the nose is always going to be longer than the tail. but at .5 it's not a huge offset.

According to NS, the SL has a twin shape which implies that the sidecut is the same along the edge from front to back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casual (Post 499192)
Can you not adjust for this offset with the additional holes in your mounting plate? Usually a binding will have this ability.

I mount my bindings with the holes across the board so I can center them properly (i.e., equal toe and heel overhang) so that's not an option.

I'm just gonna try mounting my rear binding one notch towards the front. Should be good enough. :) Thanks for the responses.