Need help finding a New Board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2012, 11:31 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need help finding a New Board

Hey everyone I am looking for some advice on a new board. I am looking for an all mountain board that I can take in the park to hit 10-15 foot jumps and rails (new to the park, work in progress). I don't see a lot of powder, mostly east groomers (although taking a trip out west each year). I am 6'3" 220 lbs size 13 so I need a wide board. My local shop has a 160 K2 Parkstar and a 162 GNU Carbon Credit that I have been looking at. I have not bought a new board in 15 years so any advice would be great. Thanks for the help.
dlbg75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The Carbon Credit is going to be too soft for an all-mountain board although it is a good board overall. The Parkstar will be your best bet if those are your only two options. It's stiffer than the Carbon Credit making it the better all-mountain board, but it's not too stiff that it's a plank in the park. Not a ton of pop in this board though.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

It doesn't have to be one of these two boards, these are just two I was looking at in our local shop. I can order something online. I just want something to cruise on and be able to hit some jumps (trying to learn spin tricks so hopefully forgiving) and rails on and off throughout the day. Any suggestions would be great.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Coda.

jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 12:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Stu

Default Ride DH2

Try a Ride DH2, i rented a 2012 this year for a few days and it was great for what you want it for, solid stable and poppy with really good edge hold on groomers.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 07:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

What's your price range?

As for the DH2, be careful about that purchase. It is a beefy board. Very stiff and damp. It has tons of pop.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:54 AM   #7 (permalink)
Stu

Damp is good if your learning, less twitchy. DH2 is the first board i took into a park and it was great, felt more confident hitting my first jumps on that than i have on simple blue runs on other boards. Its very stable.

If you can test one it's worth the time

Happy hunting
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

DH2 is too much board for probably 80% of riders. Buckwild if you want Ride.

Others to look at are the Flow Era, Drifter, or Shifty, Rome Reverb Rocker, Arbor Westmark/Blacklist, Signal Omni or if you wanna wait the 2013 Signal OG Flat, Nitro Pro Series, Rook, or Team Gullwing, Burton Joystick, Bataleon ET or Goliath...

All of those are all mountain capable park boards or park capable all mountain boards.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
Damp is good if your learning, less twitchy. DH2 is the first board i took into a park and it was great, felt more confident hitting my first jumps on that than i have on simple blue runs on other boards. Its very stable.

If you can test one it's worth the time

Happy hunting
It's great that it worked out for you. You are a minority in this respect. The DH2 is too aggressive for even a lot of intermediate rider. Time and time again, I come across Intermediates that bought the DH2 because of graphics or reputation for its pop only to realize that they want a more forgiving board.

Damp might be good for learning, but stiff is not. The DH2 is both stiff and damp. That's not to say you can't do it. You sure can. But it's easier on a more forgiving board.

Also, the DH2 is good in the park for jumps. It's not a jibbing board though.
Old 03-29-2012, 04:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for all the help. After a lot of research and reading I am favoring the Gnu riders choice 162 wide. Seems to fit my style and doesn't break my bank. Thanks again, glad I found this site.