Few quick q's before I choose a demo tomorrow. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Few quick q's before I choose a demo tomorrow.

I'm getting a free demo tomorrow of a board of my choice, and apparently they have near everything. I have two primary questions, and am more than open to feedback and suggestions...

Height: 6'4"
Weight: 270
Boot Size: 12
Riding Style: Freeride (Groomers, pow)
Skill Level: Linked turn?

So I've been up 6 times now and don't think I'm where I should be since I'm pretty much self taught. The lesson I had on day one was useless since one of the guys faceplanted and the instructor then spent all his time with that one person.. I can go down a green toe and heel side and am just now pulling off some turns. I am taking another lesson at a different resort and expecting to come away linking turns.

So..

Q1: Can I get away without going to wide boards due to needing a longer board? The calc (not 100% accurate) says I should be around a 258, which is on par with a 168 sized board.

Q2: The board I demo I would like to consider buying since they are offering me 30% off, however the one I've been eyeing, Never Summer F1, I am concerned is too aggressive. If you could pick any board for yourself, that would be around 166-170 in size, what would it be?

Many thanks in advance!
BoardingBard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoardingBard View Post
I'm getting a free demo tomorrow of a board of my choice, and apparently they have near everything. I have two primary questions, and am more than open to feedback and suggestions...

Height: 6'4"
Weight: 270
Boot Size: 12
Riding Style: Freeride (Groomers, pow)
Skill Level: Linked turn?

So I've been up 6 times now and don't think I'm where I should be since I'm pretty much self taught. The lesson I had on day one was useless since one of the guys faceplanted and the instructor then spent all his time with that one person.. I can go down a green toe and heel side and am just now pulling off some turns. I am taking another lesson at a different resort and expecting to come away linking turns.

So..

Q1: Can I get away without going to wide boards due to needing a longer board? The calc (not 100% accurate) says I should be around a 258, which is on par with a 168 sized board.

Q2: The board I demo I would like to consider buying since they are offering me 30% off, however the one I've been eyeing, Never Summer F1, I am concerned is too aggressive. If you could pick any board for yourself, that would be around 166-170 in size, what would it be?

Many thanks in advance!
1. Personally, with size 12 feet I would stick to wide boards. If you had low-profile boots and only rode on the East coast (where there is snow is typical man-made and firm) you could do a mid-wide board.

2. Yes, I would not recommend the F1 because it doesn't come in a wide model. Since you are still learning you aren't tilting the board up on edge as much as you will in the future and if you get toe/heel drag while going fast it will not be fun (you will immediately fall flat on your face).

I would normally discourage someone with only 6 days of riding from a stuff board like a Never Summer F1... BUT you are 270 lbs, so it's not like any board is going to be super stiff relative to you weight. More important... if you can DEMO a board it feels relatively easy to manipulate (i.e. not super unwieldy) then I say go for it - you usually know immediately if a board feels too stiff/long (in contrast, you might not notice if a board is too soft/short until you start riding some steeper, more advanced terrain).

Another option would be the Never Summer Heritage Wide or Cobra Wide (although I don't think they would be selling the Cobra). Do you know what brands are being demo'd?
lonerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

They carry all brands and generally 2 of every size. It is an interesting shop that I guess does most of its business through demos and sales as a result (you can apply the demo fee to the board purchase).

One of the boards we were discussing was the Legacy 166 (wide version of the SL). I'm just trying to wrap my head around the proper width for me since I will be on a longer board than most with 12s.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

I wear a size 12 boot & have no issues riding my Bully Doubledog with a 252mm waist, or my Camber LTD with a 258 waist. I do ride duck which helps keep my big boots & bindings from causing any drag. If you ride with a 0 in the rear binding, you may need to look at the wider boards, >258, otherwise you're probably ok as long as it's not a really narrow board <249
handscreate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 05:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
They carry all brands and generally 2 of every size. It is an interesting shop that I guess does most of its business through demos and sales as a result (you can apply the demo fee to the board purchase).

One of the boards we were discussing was the Legacy 166 (wide version of the SL). I'm just trying to wrap my head around the proper width for me since I will be on a longer board than most with 12s.
Just to be clear, you need a wider board for your size 12 feet. You need a stiffer board for your 270 lbs body mass. (Maybe I misunderstood you when you wrote "I will be on a longer board than most with 12s", but I just didn't want there to be any confusion). If you ride in an area where there is a lot of powder snowfall, you will want a longer board to give you flotation over that deeper snow.

Longer length of a particular model tend to be stiffer (although it is possible for one model to be stiffer in a shorter length than another model board in a longer length).

One of my cabin mates is 6'7" 220 lbs with size 15 feet (former competitive heavyweight rower) and he just got a 2012 Legacy 166. For him is very playful and easy handling (esp compared to the circa 2000 170 cm Nitro Natural he was riding before that). For you I would go with the Heritage X 166 (Raptor X 165 might be too stiff for you).

PS: Most places that demo boards allow your to roll your demo fee into the board purchase price (try-before-you-buy).
Old 03-29-2012, 05:55 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you kindly for your thoughts.

It might help to let you know that I am in the SF Bay Area and my go to is Tahoe. I will also ride Park City and Mt Hood. However, I am loving my time on the mountian and I can see myself making trips just to find powder in the near future.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Thank you kindly for your thoughts.

It might help to let you know that I am in the SF Bay Area and my go to is Tahoe. I will also ride Park City and Mt Hood. However, I am loving my time on the mountian and I can see myself making trips just to find powder in the near future.
Cool, yea in my opinion definitely go with a wide board because of the deeper snow you will encounter in places like Lake Tahoe and Park City (I am assuming you will go to Mt Hood in the summer).

If you went to a place that doesn't get much snow and you aren't turning very much/hard, you "might" be able to get away with a regular board ... but toe/heel drag is annoying - it's like driving in chain conditions where if you turn or apply your break too hard you lose control and crash. I don't know about you, but I don't like regularly snowboarding like how an "old granny" drives (no intended offense to elderly women).

Below is a video of me riding at Squaw Valley and the reason I crash at the end (around 1:00) is because the back of my heels dig into the snow (taking the pressure off the edge of my board). I have tiny size 8 boots and the board in the video is a 2009 Never Summer SL 155 with as 25.1 waist.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:19 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Are you set on a NS deck? If not i would suggest a GNU Riders Choice 166W, LIB Skunk Ape 165W, Ride Berzerker 168W, Nitro Magnum or Nitro Pantera (pretty stiff though), K2 Slayblade. Im sure there are other options around for you as well. If you are set on NS then i agree with the Heritage X 166.

I personally have the Riders Choice 166W and it is awesome, I'm taller and weigh more than you with size 13's and it is a legit board, I have also owned the Trice 164.5 and Skunk ape 169. RC is my fav!
Old 03-29-2012, 06:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Just called the shop and all the Heritage X boards are out. They don't stock Cobras yet, but based on what I've read I'm very curious about that board.

I will say as a new rider the biggest challenge isn't the slopes, it's carving through the advice you get from various sources. He was recommending a 160 revolver...

Ultimately I know I'm going to get a Raptor or similar board. I just need to get there...
Old 03-29-2012, 06:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcameron11 View Post
Are you set on a NS deck? If not i would suggest a GNU Riders Choice 166W, LIB Skunk Ape 165W, Ride Berzerker 168W, Nitro Magnum or Nitro Pantera (pretty stiff though), K2 Slayblade. Im sure there are other options around for you as well. If you are set on NS then i agree with the Heritage X 166.

I personally have the Riders Choice 166W and it is awesome, I'm taller and weigh more than you with size 13's and it is a legit board, I have also owned the Trice 164.5 and Skunk ape 169. RC is my fav!
I'm not set on any brand, as I don't feel I'm educated enough to compare. Just based off of what I read, which isn't always accurate, I have been leaning towards them. I always keep an open mind will add this to the list!

Thanks!