Camber VS Hybrid for Alpine racing - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 06:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Camber VS Hybrid for Alpine racing

Hi guys (:

So sorry for another noob question, I know there is a sticky-ed thread about types of camber/rocker/etc, but I'm still a bit confused. (There isn't much on gullwing camber on the interwebs)

I race with my highschool in alpine (GS) events. I realize that I ride way faster off of the course than actually on, because I have lot's of trouble initiating my turns so that the next one is on the gate rather than too low or too high. I think the gates really intimidate me + throw off my speed..On the mountain I go 'pretty' fast; usually around 50-59 km/h but I'm pretty sure once I get on the course and I see the gates, I'm less than half that speed.

This year my cousin gave me her board that she's only ridden twice, it's a Nitro Runaway 2011 146cm with a gullwing camber. (I'm 165cm)
The board I usually ride is an Elan Aurora 09-10 which is 150 cm and has a normal camber. I've ridden the Nitro one twice at grouse, and it seems pretty stable. Took me a while to get used to it, but once i did I was going super fast. The thing is, the nitro board is desgined for park/jibbing etc and has a fairly easy pop. I find that turning with it is way easier, but also I caught my edge a lot when riding switch though..(maybe I just suck, ) At "high" speeds, (as fast as I can go lol) I feel a bit of chatter but since I'll be going slower than usual on races I don't know if that actually will make a difference. The two boards both have mid flex.

Oh and NO ONE rides a race/alpine board, so please don't tell me to get one of them...at the races usually all the skiers have their sperm suits on and pro skis, but all snowboarders have just normal boards/outfits on

So, my question is which board should I use for next season's races? Like which one would benefit my riding more...I honestly can't tell a great difference between the two when I ride so which one would you recommend?

PS there's also terrain GS's once in a while so I would like to know if the Nitro board can handle that without flying off all of the rollers

PPS Is there a difference that padding on the bindings make? (the bindings on the Nitro one doesn't have padding, as in you can see the screws etc, but my other bindings have this thick padding on top of the screws)

PPS I know that it's mainly skill but I need to decide between the two boards

Any help would be greatly appreciated; thanks so much (:
jojoinabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2012, 06:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

50-59 km/h is not very fast so i'm assuming you're more of an intermediate rider. generally there is nothing that beats traditional camber when it comes to speed and stability, given you know how to ride it. if you want to concentrate on racing, i suggest going with camber and really practice aggressive carves.
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 06:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basti View Post
50-59 km/h is not very fast so i'm assuming you're more of an intermediate rider. generally there is nothing that beats traditional camber when it comes to speed and stability, given you know how to ride it. if you want to concentrate on racing, i suggest going with camber and really practice aggressive carves.
yeah that's why I said it's "my" fast haha I've been riding for 2 years I still suck
Ok I'll keep riding the camber then, thanks! (:
Old 03-31-2012, 07:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

i didn't mean to imply that you suck, just tried to categorize your skill level in order to give you an educated guess about the board

you've described the pros and cons of a hybrid on point: easier to turn, more forgiving (hence making you more comfortable) but less stable and more chattery at higher speeds than traditional camber. i should be more precise: at your speed level, a hybrid works wirhout problems abd might even be better for you as you feel like you have a more forgiving ride and it might accelerate your learning curve. when you get faster and have clean technique, a camber stick will give you more performance. it depends on your goals.
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 07:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

your educated guess + tips were very helpful - thank you, maybe I'll try both at the races and see how it goes.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:13 AM   #6 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

I did a little racing back in high school. Yeah I wore my baggy shit and was racing against sperm suit guys it was hilarious. I actually did pretty good, best was 6th out of 100 or so guys. Anyway, this was all on a Kemper Freestyle which is a fairly stiff cambered board.

If you're really serious about racing, but also want the same board to cruise around with, look at the Kessler Ride, Kessler BX, or some of the Oxess boardercross boards. They're made for racing but not full on alpine boards, you can use soft boots with them.

Hell I'd even race on mine for the fun of it. Find a used Burton T6 or T7 and some stiff bindings... She'll go!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:55 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
I did a little racing back in high school. Yeah I wore my baggy shit and was racing against sperm suit guys it was hilarious. I actually did pretty good, best was 6th out of 100 or so guys. Anyway, this was all on a Kemper Freestyle which is a fairly stiff cambered board.

If you're really serious about racing, but also want the same board to cruise around with, look at the Kessler Ride, Kessler BX, or some of the Oxess boardercross boards. They're made for racing but not full on alpine boards, you can use soft boots with them.

Hell I'd even race on mine for the fun of it. Find a used Burton T6 or T7 and some stiff bindings... She'll go!
Woah 6th is really good...I'm getting like 40th/60 Haha thanks for the recommendations... but I'm actually not allowed to buy a new board, I can only choose btwn the ones I have right now to race. I think I'll invest on the stiff bindings though, because the K2's/Drake ones I have right now are like jello
Old 04-02-2012, 10:58 AM   #8 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojoinabox View Post
Woah 6th is really good...I'm getting like 40th/60 Haha thanks for the recommendations... but I'm actually not allowed to buy a new board, I can only choose btwn the ones I have right now to race. I think I'll invest on the stiff bindings though, because the K2's/Drake ones I have right now are like jello
Thanks!

Yeah between the two, I'd go for the longer cambered board for racing any day of the week. I think you'll find stiff bindings and boots make a huge difference. Also fairly tight fitting boots are critical, and tighten them up pretty good just before your runs. If I rode like that all day my feet would kill but they'll feel great for the run, then just loosen at the bottom again.

Depending on your weight 150 might be short for racing. I was on a 153 when I was about 135 pounds, but even that was probably shorter than I should have been on for GS.

I'd like to get into boardercross or something here at my local hill but I'd probably kill myself in the process!

edit: Do me a favour and stick with it and have fun, I stopped competing because I was an ass and wanted the school to pay for my events. Was too cocky at the time, now I wish I had stuck with it cause it was really fun!

Last edited by poutanen; 04-02-2012 at 11:02 AM.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Resident poet

Are you a girl in van area? Try to find an old (2005ish) cambered Option bella or preferable trinity they are stiff cambered fr boards that had a hell of a fast base and are meat missles. The Trinity was the top of line women's board, made with really good tech and materials; and when option was near the top of the heap. I still ride my trinity 158 and if not payin attention will beat my ass and it easily handle 100+ kph though I've only had it up to 88 kph. which was fast enough for me.

Last edited by wrathfuldeity; 04-03-2012 at 12:16 PM.
wrathfuldeity is offline   Reply With Quote