Need advise on buying a new board. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 03:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need advise on buying a new board.

Hi there,
I'm relatively new to snowboarding. I rode a snowboard for the first time in my life about 6 weeks ago. I immediately became addicted to snowboarding. I now practice about 5 hours per week at an indoor snowdome. I have 8 years of skateboarding experience, and -I hope this doesn't sound to narcissistic- appear to be very talented at snowboarding.

I'm paying about $20 for snowboard and boots rental per week, so I think it's time to buy my own gear before I go bankrupt.
I encountered a small problem tough. Usually you choose a snowboard which fits the level of skill you are at. But I feel like I'm improving really really fast, and I don't want to buy a board which matches my current level of skill but holds me back a couple of months later. So basically my question is: Is it smart to buy a board which is made for people with a higher level of skill than the level I'm currently at?

Also, maybe you have some suggestions for a good board for me? I first wanted to buy the DC Tone 11/12 (157 cm, wide)(Blue Tomato Winkel | DC Tone 154 wide 11/12 Snowboard | DC | Freestyle + freeride boards |*Snowboards --> Site is probably Dutch since I'm Dutch), but a friend told me that it's way too stiff and not a good board for me, so I'm really troubled about that too. If you think you know a good board for me, please tell me, It would help me a lot ^^. I'll try to give as much information about myself which might help determining which board is best for me:

- Length: 185 cm
- Weight: 65 kg
- Bootsize: 11.5 (US size)
My current level of skill: I can link turns, I'm getting pretty good at riding switch, I can do an ollie, basic air from a small ramp, and I can do 180's but I fail them about 1/2 times
My budget is $500
I'm intending to focus mainly on freestyle, but ofcourse I just started, it's gonna take some time before I can ride park but as a described at the beginning of the post, I think I'm a quick learner and I think I will get there faster than the average snowboarder.

I could really use some advise on which snowboard I should buy. Please don't search all over the place for a good board for me, I don't expect and don't want you to do my homework for me, I just need a little help ^^

Thank you for your time!
Zypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2012, 03:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

take a look into lib tech or gnu.

o2gearshop.com use coupon code OTS for an additiona $30 off. You'll find some libs around 260
tnt3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

IMHO if you're going to train yourself the whole year, a stiffer board will give you more satisfaction than a softer one... Softer and/or rockered boards make tricks only less expensive in energy terms and add some extra forgiveness.
Fully rockered and very soft boards are very funny, but i find them suboptimal for the rider who wants to push his riding to the "next level", from "a guy with a board" to "a snowboarder".
Also, if you are a beginner you can detune your edges (or just avoid to sharpening them very often) to get the board less nervous and biting.

Ciao
Tiziano
LordOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Look into a all around yet freestyle oriented board like a Ride Kink, Burton Hero, Capita Indoor Survival or Never Summer Evo. Mervin boards (lib tech and gnu) tend to delaminate at the tips and tails sometimes because of the material they use but they are still great boards although a little pricey.
gprider_capita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thx for the replies! I've decided to buy a Burton Hero.
Zypher is offline   Reply With Quote