Looking into a new board, need some help - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 03:58 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking into a new board, need some help

Hey everyone,

I am new to this forum but I have spent the last few days just reading and searching and must say I am very happy i stumbled upon this. This place holds a wealth of knowledge about anything and everything snowboarding and I thank all of you for that. Ok, on to the topic at hand. I began riding about 5 years ago but really got into it about 3 years ago. I own an 07 Burton Canyon with 2011-12 burton mission bindings on it. Im 5'10 195 lbs. and wear a size 9.5 boot. Over the last 2 years I have become more interested in rails and boxes and some small jumps. I do enjoy to carve down the mountain but I like to "enjoy the scenery" on the mountain and not just bomb down the hill. So this year I started reading up on the burton process. They offer two different models, the regular process and the flying V process. I was wondering what you guys think would be the better suited one for what I wanna progress into. Currently I can do almost any run on the mountain, I prefer blues because again I like to just enjoy the turns and play around. I am looking for something I can carve down the mountain but make that right into the terrain park and begin to hit some features and progress. I mostly ride in the north east if that helps with board suggestion and I am open to boards that resemble and/or have the same features as the process.

Thank you in advance for the knowledge.

Last edited by RidingSideWays; 04-02-2012 at 04:03 AM.
RidingSideWays is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 08:26 AM   #2 (permalink)

Buy this one in 159: Superpark
outlyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Process is not a bad choice but very soft for the rest of your riding. Never Summer EVO is a great board for everything there is to do on a snowboard while making you a rock star in the park. The NS EVO has a shape similar to the flying V but better and NS has a patent. Burtons flying V is as close as they could come with out infringing on NS patent. But if you are already sold on the process definitely get the flying V it will be a lot more forgiving as you learn freestyle.
SnowMotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thank you Snow Motion. What size do you recommend and also what bindings? Would my missions work with this board? or do you think there is a better combo out there for this NS. Like I said i recently became more involved with the sport so I have not explored outside of burton but I am not opposed. I wanna get the best board to progress my skills both on the mountain and in the park.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

I know how it feels to get lost in the land of the "B". I rode Burton for 10 years. If the missions are EST they will not fit the EVO but if they are disc they will and work fine. If you are in the market for new Bindings I would recommend Union contacts.

As for sizes you could go with the 157 or 154. If your looking for more stability and all mountain ride go with the 157. If its more freestyle both in and out of the park then the 154 will be more maneuverable and playful. I hope all this was helpful. GL

I am 6'1" 230 with an 11 foot and I ride both these sizes in the EVO.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

You have been very helpful, my bindings are non est. I only started hitting the park at then of this this season and my season ended up being cut short because I took a bad approach on a jump and fractured my left tibia. I was looking at preview for the 2013 evo. Have you read up on that? are there going to be significant changes that would warrant me waiting for next years model? Also, I wanna be able to ride the whole mountain but I wanna be able to hit the park more now. I am afraid the 154 might be too small but if you ride that and are bigger then me then it shouldnt be an issue. What is the difference you feel when your outside of the park and carving down the hill on the 154? Also, do you know any good board shops in the NYC area to tune and maintenance boards. Thanks!
Old 04-04-2012, 03:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

I would grab this years on discount any tech differences you will need more once you have advanced further but the price difference might be worth it.

A shorter board loses some of the effective edge not giving it as much hold as the longer model. For speed and carving I ride the 157 for woods and park I ride my 154.
Also
What size was your canyon? If it was really long you might want the 157 just so its not a massive change.

As for the shop there is only one around I would trust my board with. Its out in long Island The owner is named Sammy he is awesome and tunes the boards himself.

There site is Bunger Surf & Skate the name of the shop is Bunger Sayville.
Old 04-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks Snowmotion. I might just pick up this years model then if there wont be that big of a difference. From what I have read in the short time you suggested this board, it seems that they made a big leap from last years model and this years model so i was just worried that i would be missing out on something by buying this year and not waiting a few months and getting the 2013. My canyon is a 159 so I think ill stick with the 157 if you think it can still handle the park features. I dont see myself spinning too much right now but i wanna hit more rails and boxes. If there is not a huge difference between 2012 and 2013, i kind of like the 2012 graphic more haha but i know that has nothing to do with the performance haha. I will give that shop a try, I have to take in my canyon and my bro's board for a summer wax/tuning.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:40 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default What a steal!

156 or 159?
2012 SUPERPARK CTX SNOWBOARD Snowboards Mens Rocker All Mtn F/S
outlyr is offline   Reply With Quote