Confused over which size first board should be. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 07:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Short heavier rider, need help with board size

I have just started snowboarding and am really enjoying it so decided to invest in my own board, but it is becoming very confusing as I keep getting conflicting advice from shops and instructors.

As I am not average wieght I understand I need to be more aware of the size board I get. I am 200 lbs and 5'4" and am interested in just freeride for now, no tricks. I used the frosty rider calculator and it said I needed a 158 freeride and 151 freestyle. However when I went to buy this I was told it was too big for me as did the hire shop and my instructor.

I have just spent the week learning on a board which was 152 (and a few days inside on 151) which felt ok. I would appreciate some advice as to what size board I should buy.

Secondly I did buy a board online which is a Nidecker Random 158. It is twin tip, would this be suitable to learn on or should I sell it and get a shorter all mountain board.

Last edited by Oasiscalmer; 04-02-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Oasiscalmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2012, 04:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

Bump any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 04-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #3 (permalink)

the search function will be your best friend in this forum.

look up "FAQ`s and Equipment Guides: Please read before posting a question." probably why no one's responded to your thread.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

It's typically easier to learn on a shorter & softer board than a longer board, as it will be easier to turn & maneuver the board. I learned on a long stiff cambered board, which likely is why I progressed quickly - because an error on a board like that lands you in the snow real quick.

Considering your weight, you may want to consider a mid to mid-stiff board, somewhere in the 151-155. You said you've been learning on a 152. How does it feel? Do you feel comfortable riding it so far?
handscreate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by handscreate View Post
It's typically easier to learn on a shorter & softer board than a longer board, as it will be easier to turn & maneuver the board. I learned on a long stiff cambered board, which likely is why I progressed quickly - because an error on a board like that lands you in the snow real quick.

Considering your weight, you may want to consider a mid to mid-stiff board, somewhere in the 151-155. You said you've been learning on a 152. How does it feel? Do you feel comfortable riding it so far?
The boards felt fine but I would feel better with a tad more stability.

What can I do with my 158 twin tip. Would u recommend I use it to learn on o ?
Old 04-02-2012, 08:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasiscalmer View Post

Yeah I wouldn't really want to go too short, you'll out grow it in abilities pretty quick if it's too short. I weigh 175 and was on a 153 (bought it when I weighed 135), when I moved up to a 159 it opened my eyes. I had been battling an unstable board setup for years and moving to the big board was like heaven!

I'm not familiar with that model but I think nideckers are fairly stiff. Should be a great first board!
poutanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I just started this season myself, and I am 5'4 with a weight of 190lbs. It's pretty much close to your description. I finally picked up a Forum Manual 150 board and have been really happy with it. It is nimble, and has been an awesome board for me. I've riden it about 12 days this season, which I believe is pretty good considering the north/south tahoe weather conditions.

I am about to upgrade to a 152 Ride DH2. Personally i'd say to stick between 150-152.
timeslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oasiscalmer View Post

Ride it, unless you really think you'll be unhappy with it. I was only curious about the 152 you've been riding since it seemed like it was already there to learn on. The Nidecker line leans a little on the stiff side, and if memory serves me right, the Random is kinda stiff all around. You'll definitely get your stability, but you may find it to be a little more work to maneuver the board around as a beginner. It's very possible at your weight that you won't notice this as much. Worst case if you don't like it, sell it & buy something else
handscreate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 07:59 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by handscreate View Post
Ride it, unless you really think you'll be unhappy with it. I was only curious about the 152 you've been riding since it seemed like it was already there to learn on. The Nidecker line leans a little on the stiff side, and if memory serves me right, the Random is kinda stiff all around. You'll definitely get your stability, but you may find it to be a little more work to maneuver the board around as a beginner. It's very possible at your weight that you won't notice this as much. Worst case if you don't like it, sell it & buy something else
The NDK random is quite stiff although it was designed as a park board I think it will be ok to use as free ride board for now.
I spent a week in Zermatt riding on the 152 and generally it was ok but I found it over exageratted my braking and wasn't smooth over bumps, causing me to fall more often. Also because of lack of confidence I wasn't transferring alot of wieght to the board, which makes me think as I practice more and start bending my knees lower a bigger board may be needed for the wieght. My only concern with the 158 is when I roll over to stand up it is going to be harder but I will just have to deal with that.

Thanks for the help, it's amazing how little the professionals know about matching boards to the users spec. They tend to just hold it up to chin and say you're good to go.

Last edited by Oasiscalmer; 04-03-2012 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

If you're talking about big box store employees or rental guys, they are far from professionals. Rental employees have to churn through crowds and crowds of people so that's where the chin sizing method came from. All of these unsuspecting customers see this and perpetuate this bad method of sizing. The chin method in general is alright for beginners, but I would never purchase my own board based on that method.

You are a prime example of why this is a crap method. Most people your height weigh considerably less than you. You have no business being on the same board sizes as them.

You're in a bit of a pickle. 5'4 is rather short and 200lb rather hefty for that height. 158 should be just fine for you, but you will find it to be harder to control over the 152 you've been on.

I would like to suggest that you look for blunt tipped boards in the future. This will allow you to get say a 155 and still have it ride like a 158. Even a 158 that's blunted is great for you.

I do not know why you have to roll over to stand up. Do you mean for the instances where you fell on your stomach? Or do you stand up from your toe edge? You should stand from your heel edge.

Either way, practicing rolling the board over like that is a good idea. Not only to get the hang of the board, but to get used to the motion for instances where you have a tumbling fall so you instinctively roll the board over to prevent your legs from twisting.