Raptor, Custom X, etc- Looking for Stiff Carving Board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 02:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Raptor, Custom X, etc- Looking for Stiff Carving Board

My primary board is a Ride Berzerker. I am looking for a secondary board that will be more for carving, icy days, etc. I rode the Custom X a couple of weeks ago and really liked it- but dont want to commit to the EST binding setup. Heard great things about the Raptor.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 11:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

The raptor is a good carver for a hybrid rocker but it carves differently than a traditional cambered board. It carves GS style, where it likes to open up early and maintain speed down the fall line. Once on edge it holds well. It requires a little more tail pressure to get that exit energy but again is a good choice if you're looking for a hybrid type of board. You'll want a realtively stiff binding to really engage the camber sections.

The CX is my daily and a good carver as well although I find it a little difficult to modulate edge pressure on ice and firmer hard pack. In my opinion burton bindings are some off the best, and I like the channel system so that isn't an issue for me. There are other companies that make channel adapter discs for their bindings if you're not interested in burton. You can also get a burton reflex binding that will work almost as well as an est and still be transferable the a 4x4 board.

Both are good choices, I just happen to prefer camber or hybrid camber boards.

I'd also look at the nitro pantera which I thought carved very well, even on hard snow and the arbor a frame is worth a look as well. The pantera has odd waist widths so be careful on the sizing. The board really only fits a few foot sizes.
SJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The raptor is a nice board for sure.

I ride a smokin snowboard kt22 which is a stiff rocker/camber board with mild magnetraction. It holds a carve very well on ice or hard pack but also floats very well in powder. It is my all around board now and I don't bother pulling out any other board. I ride a 159w and I will probably buy a 166w this year for deeper days.

KT22
Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

To me, the Raptor is an amazing board! However, I have never tried the CX, so I cannot compare.

I am not sure I'd choose any of these for carving and ice though. If we're talking a more versatile board, I'd be looking for some magnetraction edge for ice. Smokin seems to have a mellow implementation, which some people prefer as they feel the more aggressive mtx can be too grabby. Alternatively, if I were so much into carving (I am not) - I might get a dedicated board, maybe even a custom Donek or something similar.
lernr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

I found a good deal on an Arbor A Frame and think I am going to go with that instead of the Raptor/CX.

Any idea if the 2013 A frame will be different from the 2012?

I am 6'0 and 185 lbs. My other boards are 162s but I was thinking 166 for this board? Any thoughts on sizing for A frame?

Thanks
Old 04-05-2012, 09:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

If you're not 100% set on the Arbor, like another poster said you can use regular bindings on an EST board (i.e. get a Custom X and burton non-est bindings with an EST baseplate). I sort of wish I had done that with my T7 and C60's because I'd love to mount these bindings on an exotic, stiff, big mountain stick (Kessler or similar).

edit: According to Arbor's size chart, you're right in the middle of the ideal range for the 166, so I'd be tempted to go for that, especially if you're using it for hard carving and powder.

Last edited by poutanen; 04-05-2012 at 09:24 AM.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:04 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks Poutanen.

I rode the CX earlier this year (did demo from Vail Burton store) and really liked it, but feel like I would then need to make the move to burton bindings/adapter plate, etc. My hope is the A Frame would be equivalent to the CX, but with 4 hole binding system. A Frame is also about $100 less.

I also will not be using this board in powder- Ride Bezerker for that. This will just be for non powder days on piste. I want a cambered board for fast cruising with deep carving. If not using in powder are there still advantages to the 166 vs 162?

Thanks
Old 04-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #8 (permalink)

I usually ride 163-165 for my all mountain boards but have had a number of boards ~170cm including the Titan tx and Raptor x. I think 166 is a perfect length for the a frame and wish more boards came in that size. I'm your height but heavier. For what you're wanting to ride I think the 166 should be fine. It'll give you more effective edge and stability at speed. If it was your only board I'd say 162.
SJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I just sold my Raptor, but loved it for carving. That thing just wants you to point it down hill and make nice long carves. Not a board to play around on really...
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 11:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol View Post
I just sold my Raptor, but loved it for carving. That thing just wants you to point it down hill and make nice long carves. Not a board to play around on really...
Like I said, I think it's an amazing board! Too bad you sold yours.

But for dedicated nice long carves I would prefer something above 9m sidecut. Of course, this will be less versatile than the Raptor. I agree that it's not a goof-around board
lernr is offline   Reply With Quote