First board setup and measurements - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default First board setup and measurements

I'm setting up my first board and would greatly appreciate if I could get some confirmation that I did it correctly.

I'm currently doing groomers and pow, just learned to do linked turns so aiming for the easiest config.

Gear:
2012 Never Summer Legacy 166
2012 Burton Cartel ReFlex Bindings
2012 Burton Imperial Boots size 12

Angles: +21,+6
Front overhang toe and heel: 3/8"
Rear overhang toe and heel: 3/4"
Stance width: 22.2" (I'm 6'4")
Front center binding plate to front edge: 21 3/8"
Rear center binding plate to rear edge: 20 5/8"

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
BoardingBard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 07:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoardingBard View Post
Angles: +21,+6
Have you ridden with this orientation previously?
Quote:
Stance width: 22.2" (I'm 6'4")
In my opinion that's too narrow for someone your size. I would go at least an inch wider.
outlyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have rode with 21,6 however I am not married to any configuration and am open to suggestions. Prior to my last time out I was more interested in staying off my rear than angles. Now that I can link turns regularly I don't mind experimenting.

As for the stance I was just going off the recommended math, which I know is just a guideline. I don't mind trying 23 which would reduce the setback as well.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

I think you'll find that it's easier to control the board with a slightly negative rear angle. If you haven't tried that, I would give it a shot. Like +21, -12, that's what I've settled on after trying several different configurations. I tried positive rear angles early on and just never felt comfortable, even though I come from a skiing background. As far as stance width, I'm 6-1, 185 lbs, with size 11 boots, and have a 24.5" stance. Granted I ride more park than powder, regardless center of gravity is critical wherever you ride. If you're concerned about the setback, you could always mount the rear binding as far back as possible and set your width off of that.

Last edited by outlyr; 04-08-2012 at 10:35 AM.
outlyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 01:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Nice Board!

I would try a drastic change. First I agree with outlyr your a big boy and should widen your stance to lower your body position on the board. Two the angles........ oh boy those angles..... OK not saying this is the best stance for you I would set up your board +15/-15 just to shock your system. Make sure you ride with your shoulders, knees and toes all facing your toe edge and only your head turns toward the nose of your board. At first it will feel weird but just ride it for some runs and feel how it works ( if you feel twisted your probably twisting your shoulders down toward your nose ). After this start tweaking them in ways you see fit. Eventually you will find the stance your body wants to be in and it will be different than what anyone can tell you.
SnowMotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

I actually got all the information I used for the configuration out of the stickies. I don't like being the guy who doesn't do any homework and just asks for the answers. I went 21,6 because it stated it is a good all mountian setup and duck was primarily for park.

It seems based on feedback from this forum and shops that duck is the new favorite so I'll switch to +15/-15, increase the stance an inch, which will also balance the setback.

Thank you both for your feedback and help. I already know how critical the board setup is after a rental place giving me 2" toe overhang and 0" heel. You can imagine how frustrating that was as a beginner!
Old 04-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ok so I've switched it to +15/-15 with it being centered (20.5" from center of binding to edge on both). Stance width has also been increased by 1".
Old 04-05-2012, 02:44 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Ok so I've switched it to +15/-15 with it being centered (20.5" from center of binding to edge on both). Stance width has also been increased by 1".
I tried a forward stance, because I also read it was a good all mountain and beginner stance.

I tried it. For exactly one run. Never tried it again. Felt like I was on a wide ski going down the mountain
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote