Early thoughts on C3? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 02:51 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Early thoughts on C3?

So Lib-Tech rolled out the C3 shape as option for the Jamie Lynn at SIA. Basically big camber with some rocker between then feet - kind of like C2, but the camber is more pronounced and the rocker less, so that the rocker/middle does actually not touch the ground when the board is unweighted.
Time will obviously tell how this works, but what are your expectations/thoughts? Lib-tech claims that it offers camber-like stability (more than C2) but still retains some rocker playfulness. I can kind of see that, but personally I am concerned about the float in powder with that camber dominated shape...
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2012, 04:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

Basically C2BTX, EC2BTX, enhanced !BTX! and this new C3 are variations of the same designs, it just change the "pressure footprint" of the board ad it moves the contact points.
The !BTX! is the most "rockered" hybrid profile and the new C3 is on the opposide side, but the biggest question mark IMHO is on the Flex Pattern... this determinates how the board will hold edge and floats in powpow!

Burton is introducing the same ideas with "Camber Humps" and "Flying V" designs...
LordOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

I think it's all a push back to a regular cambered board without losing the "gimmick" of dual-cambered tech. Some pros like regular camber but the fads might not sell the boards as well.
Liv4Sno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Anyone ridden one?
sidewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Marketing tons and tons of marketing hoopla. I'll ride it and see. Well maybe.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I agree with liv4sno. While rocker might be better in some situations, camber is still better all round. Wonder if C4 is going to be regular old camber.
freshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

I love the C2s forgiving profile, it's saved me a few times for sure. I grew up on camber and have no problems with it at all. I love the stability and speed of camber boards, but I do like that I no longer worry as much about catching an edge at a bad time. The forgiving nature of C2 I think has made me a better rider lately because I'm more likely to push myself s little more with it (I'm getting older and don't like to crash hard these days), however there are times when I find the ride a bit lacking especially at high speed. I'm really looking forward to trying a C3 board and seeing the move towards a more cambered profile. If they can bring back a camber feel but still give me a catch free ride I would be sold for sure.

I'm not looking to go back to regular camber. This weekend I rode with a couple other guys who were on old school LibTechs with full camber.. They flew down the hill and were hard to follow at times, but I also saw them catch edges and wipe out at least 3 or 4 times... I on the other hand kept up pretty well and never had a crash from a caught edge, so I'm still convinced in the benefits of a hybrid tech...I do think there is some room for improvement though and I'm excited to see how it progresses.

The funny thing is we had a discussion over beers on the hill about camber/hybrids and my friends were all pro camber, hate rocker tech. The one guy says..."I've been riding for 26 years and I never catch edges on camber...." Then 5 minutes later tells me he crashed on the run right before lunch because he caught an edge... Then I watched him wipe out 3 more times at least because he caught edges.....could have had something to do with all the beers.....but still.

Last edited by TorpedoVegas; 12-31-2012 at 08:00 PM.
TorpedoVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:59 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpedoVegas View Post
I love the C2s forgiving profile, it's saved me a few times for sure. I grew up on camber and have no problems with it at all. I love the stability and speed of camber boards, but I do like that I no longer worry as much about catching an edge at a bad time. The forgiving nature of C2 I think has made me a better rider lately because I'm more likely to push myself s little more with it (I'm getting older and don't like to crash hard these days), however there are times when I find the ride a bit lacking especially at high speed. I'm really looking forward to trying a C3 board and seeing the more towards a more cambered profile. If they can bring back a camber feel but still give me a catch free ride I would be sold for sure.

I'm not looking to go back to regular camber. This weekend I rode with a couple other guys who were on old school LibTechs with full camber.. They flew down the hill and were hard to follow at times, but I also saw them catch edges and wipe out at least 3 or 4 times... I on the other hand kept up pretty well and never had a crash from a caught edge, so I'm still convinced in the benefits of a hybrid tech...I do think there is some room for improvement though and I'm excited to see how it progresses.
85km/h. Not bad for an old man.
ARSENALFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:12 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

To be fair magnetraction plays a huge roll in not catching edges.
freshy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:14 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freshy View Post
To be fair magnetraction plays a huge roll in not catching edges.
Yeah I've been sold on that tech for a while now as well... Love it. I wouldn't buy a board without some form of mtx
TorpedoVegas is offline   Reply With Quote