Help me choose my next Lib-Tech board - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #11 (permalink)

The Danny Kass is stiffer than both the TRS and the Riders Choice. Judging by whats on the site, it also has less tech in the deck. The MTX on the kass is also alot mellower than it is on the trs and riders choice. And ive ridden a 157.5 Riders choice and it felt identical in flexibility to the 157 trs and it was very broken in. The kass is more pipe and big jump focused while the TRS and the RC are more for everything
Bparmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2012, 10:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I also ride in Japan and as you know your everyday stick will also see a lot of powder. Its crucial that it will handle powder well IMO.

I ride a proto CT and love it in anything up to 40cm of powder. After that I will be reaching for a dedicated powder stick.

Since you have a sick stick for deep days (what length?) I would get something with a different feel and length so as to broaden your quiver.

The Proto is a great board but sounds like you prefer something stiffer to charge on. The proto can charge but its also playful, its great in powder and on jumps. Maybe a Heritage if you go with never summer but of the choices you mentioned I would go with the Banana magic.

Thats a great price and although I haven't ridden it I was looking at buying one and it has rave reviews most places I looked. Powder performance is one of its plus points and in Japan thats big.

Just my opinion based on what you said you are looking to do and where you ride.
dreampow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 11:36 AM   #13 (permalink)

How does the attack banana compare to the other boards mentioned in this thread? Proto, riders choice, TRS etc?
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #14 (permalink)

The Attack Banana is more responsible, and a little bit more loose than the Proto. Flex is similar. The Proto IMO was better for stomping jumps than the Attack Banana. Pop was similar. Dampness was actually very similar. Libs just initiate quicker, but come with the board being a little more squirely.
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:28 PM   #15 (permalink)

Good answer, thanks. Being fairly new I reckon the lib may be more forgiving for me then, my jumps aren't going to push the board at all!
Beeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:28 AM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I really like my TRice and it performs pretty well in the powder considering I'm 210 lbs riding a 161.5. I don't have a dedicated powderboard so I've used it in waist deep powder and still felt fine.

Based on what you've said I'd lean towards the TRice, Magic or Heritage if you are going to go NS like some have mentioned.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:15 AM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreampow View Post
I also ride in Japan and as you know your everyday stick will also see a lot of powder. Its crucial that it will handle powder well IMO.

I ride a proto CT and love it in anything up to 40cm of powder. After that I will be reaching for a dedicated powder stick.

Since you have a sick stick for deep days (what length?) I would get something with a different feel and length so as to broaden your quiver.

The Proto is a great board but sounds like you prefer something stiffer to charge on. The proto can charge but its also playful, its great in powder and on jumps. Maybe a Heritage if you go with never summer but of the choices you mentioned I would go with the Banana magic.

Thats a great price and although I haven't ridden it I was looking at buying one and it has rave reviews most places I looked. Powder performance is one of its plus points and in Japan thats big.

Just my opinion based on what you said you are looking to do and where you ride.
Thanks, all good points. Powder performance is definitely key in Japan. In fact, it was the Mervin rep's comment about the Magic's superior powder performance that made me think (overthink?) about what board to choose - otherwise I probably would have just gone with the TRS or T Rice already.

The Banana is close to retirement and the Sick Stick might be for sale (it's a 163 which is a bit long for me - should have gone with the 161...), so ideally want more of a quiver killer.
Love what I hear about NS boards (esp. the Proto and Heritage), but seem to be difficult to find - and even more difficult to get a good price on.

So I think it still comes back to the TRS vs. Magic vs. T. Rice - plus maybe the Gnu Danny Kass (because a local shop has 1 left which I might get a great deal on)... A couple more glowing report about the Magic's powder performance and I might just bite the bullet and pull the trigger on it
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 01:44 AM   #18 (permalink)
Banned!

BTW never really hear about GREAT deals on NS boards...maybe I'm wrong, you can probably get a Premier or Lotus on sale

You see NS Carbonium series going for 375 used all teh time...
Old 04-12-2012, 01:48 AM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
BTW never really hear about GREAT deals on NS boards...maybe I'm wrong, you can probably get a Premier or Lotus on sale

You see NS Carbonium series going for 375 used all teh time...
Agree, that's why I am more focused on the Mervin stuff.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:03 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
What do you mean the Magic is overkill? In which way? Considering that the difference is only $100, I am kind of tempted by the proper sintered base and the basalt/non-fiberglass construction... According to the Mervin guys it is also supposed to be quite a bit better in powder, which is important to me.
Hey man, if you've got the $ then o for it. I just think some of the tech they put in the boards is overkill. Ex !BTX! and sintered bases.
Liv4Sno is offline   Reply With Quote