Help me choose my next Lib-Tech board - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2012, 03:46 AM   #21 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liv4Sno View Post
Hey man, if you've got the $ then o for it. I just think some of the tech they put in the boards is overkill. Ex !BTX! and sintered bases.
Again, why do you think these are overkill? The benefits of sintered bases and hybrid rockers (!BTX! is just another kind of hybrid rocker) are pretty widely accepted.
hktrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2012, 04:20 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hktrdr View Post
Again, why do you think these are overkill? The benefits of sintered bases and hybrid rockers (!BTX! is just another kind of hybrid rocker) are pretty widely accepted.
You can hit 50+ MPH on an extruded base and they are more durable and need less waxing. IMO anything over 40 MPH is pretty balls fast. How much faster would an extruded base really be?

The camber is another story. The !BTX! might be good for you due to the powder, but a longer full rocker board would be too. I think at a certain point so much tech turns into things that most riders don't need. Ex. I'd rather have a TRS than that Cygnus anyday. That's an extreme example I know, but what does it tell you when 90% of the Lib riders ride and kill it on the TRS? It's like my brother-in-law says, if you can ride, then you can ride. At some point I just think the tech becomes mumbo jumbo. Just remember, we started on cambered boards, then reverse camber was all the rage, now hybrid camber is where it's at. From what I'm hearing I think some companies are moving back to a more cambered style. Every year it'll be something new to sell more boards whether it works well or not. Maybe just to compete with Company XYZ. A few years ago MagnaTraction was all the rage. Now companies are "mellowing" it out because it's too "grippy". I know I'm running on and on here but when do the "marketing fads" & "Its all the new rage this year" end? Maybe it just evolution, who knows, but it does look like it might be coming full circle soon. IMO

And yes, I ride Lib & GNU.
Liv4Sno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:22 AM   #23 (permalink)

BTW- I'm also a guy that prefers a Subaru over an Audi. lol
Old 04-12-2012, 04:24 AM   #24 (permalink)
Banned!

The speed advantage of sintered over extruded is all about acceleration, not top speed.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:34 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
The speed advantage of sintered over extruded is all about acceleration, not top speed.
Happy waxing!
Old 04-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #26 (permalink)
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=Liv4Sno;502021]an extruded base and they are more durable and need less waxing QUOTE]

The sintered base is more durable and easier to repair it can also be welded more successfully than extruded. That being said, an extruded base wins in the waxing dept as it really doesn't need it.
bseracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #27 (permalink)

[QUOTE=bseracka;502061]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liv4Sno View Post
an extruded base and they are more durable and need less waxing QUOTE]

The sintered base is more durable and easier to repair it can also be welded more successfully than extruded. That being said, an extruded base wins in the waxing dept as it really doesn't need it.

I agree that the sintered base does not scratch as easily, but from what I've heard it is tougher to repair than extruded.

I do agree with you on your last statement of the waxing of the extruded base. I waxed my TRS 3 times last season and I ride 2 to 3 days a week.

I ride my boards really hard and never had to repair the extruded bases. I also ride heavy in the spring with close to 1" of base sometimes. The sidewalls on the other hand... Letís just say that clamps and marine grade epoxy are my best friends.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:34 PM   #28 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

T.Rice all the way for the riding you do. The Banana Magic would be super fun if you love to carve it up as it has a deeper sidecut. T.Rice is stiffer and more damp though.

T.Rice will be best in the pipe as well. Everything you listed, especially considering you won't jib, screams T.Rice to me.

As for extruded vs sintered... Not all bases are created equal. Lib Tech makes great extruded bases, thus they are faster than the average.

Also, granted the slope is steep enough, extruded vs sintered won't really matter. The major difference comes in how they glide, particularly on flats. Extruded flat out (no pun intended) sucks on flatter terrain. Also in powder, sintered just feels better to me between the two when waxed. Might just be in my head though, but just my 2cents.\

And that "happy waxing" comment... YOU BETCHA! It's like yoga for snowboarders. Beer, wax, beer, scrape...

BTW, B.Magic has a more mellow rocker and camber. I like everything about the Magic's shape. Very fun to carve on.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:26 PM   #29 (permalink)

One of the few threads I have seen someone trying to convince someone that a sintered base is overkill. Can I ask the question? What snowboard company doesn't use sintered bases? Not Ride, not Burton, not Yes, not Never Summer, not Smokin, not K2. So this idea that Mervin is the only company "overkilling" with sintered bases is crazy.
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan2011 View Post
One of the few threads I have seen someone trying to convince someone that a sintered base is overkill. Can I ask the question? What snowboard company doesn't use sintered bases? Not Ride, not Burton, not Yes, not Never Summer, not Smokin, not K2. So this idea that Mervin is the only company "overkilling" with sintered bases is crazy.

I just donít think itís a necessity on a board. Ex. Most of the GNU boards have sintered bases for some reason, where the Libís in the same "category" donít. That point taken I would choose the Lib over most GNUís even though the GNU has the sintered base. Does that make sense? If I had the choice that would be low on the totem pole for the reasons why I would be choosing a board. It's just my take on the matter.