Done my research, does my purchase sound ok? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 11:35 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Done my research, does my purchase sound ok?

Hi guys,

Ive been looking get a board and have done some research around what I think is best for me, looking to get the all clear from those more knowledgable before i go spending my hard earned moola..

Im about 6 foot and weigh 75kgs (165 pounds). I have a boot size of around 11 and age is 29. Im an intermediate boarder who is just starting out on the park and wouldnt mind doing more freestyle stuff while still carving the mountain. Im looking to get a 158cm Custom X Burton Snowboard with Large EST Cartel Bindings. The thing im not sure about is the length of the board. I was trying to find a 160cm but they all seem to be sold out online and this one I found is currently around $370 which seems like a pretty good price so am looking to put in the order tomorrow..According to Burton's website the width of the board is 249mm.

What do you guys think? Should I look for a longer board or go for it? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by mov.eax; 04-11-2012 at 11:39 PM.
mov.eax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 11:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mov.eax View Post
intermediate boarder who is just starting out on the park
The custom X is stiff and cambered, if you're looking to start park (especially spins or rails) you're going to have a really hard time on that deck.
Irahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

i agree. if you want to do park and freestyle, the custom x isn't the best choice. the board is good for carving, pipe and bigger jumps but there are a ton of better choices out there for you. i'd suggest browsing through the posts here to get a better idea about all-mountain boards that can handle groomers as well as the park.
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irahi View Post
The custom X is stiff and cambered, if you're looking to start park (especially spins or rails) you're going to have a really hard time on that deck.
thanks for the response...Should i be looking for more flexible rocker board? Im no freestyle pro, and i doubt i will ever be that but wouldnt mind getting onto the trick park every now and then and get some air..Any board recommendations? I was also looking at the following :
158cm Never summer heritage board
160cm Burton Sherlock Holmes
158 or 160 cm Burton Custom Flying V

Last edited by mov.eax; 04-12-2012 at 12:37 AM.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

From your choices and your riding the Heritage sounds best to me. It is more of a hybrid rocker/camber. Custom X is not the board to be learning park on. CX Is great at carving, but you will catch edges easier. If you want to stick with Burton I would look more at the regular Custom vs the CX or the CV.
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

Also, a 249mm width will not be that great with a size 11 boot. I have trouble when i ride one of my older boards that has a 248mm waist width and my foot is 10.5. And you might also want to look at the neversummer proto, i demoed the 158 version of it and i usually dont ride more than a 157 and it felt great on the groomers and the park and the trees.
Bparmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

Sorry for offtopic. If I am riding board with 252 mm (Burton Fix 155) width now without problems, will I have problems with 249 mm (Signal Park Flat 152)? My stance is +12/-12, 22 inch wide and boot size 10,5.

Last edited by looking4snow; 04-14-2012 at 02:00 AM.
looking4snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:49 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bparmz View Post
Also, a 249mm width will not be that great with a size 11 boot. I have trouble when i ride one of my older boards that has a 248mm waist width and my foot is 10.5. And you might also want to look at the neversummer proto, i demoed the 158 version of it and i usually dont ride more than a 157 and it felt great on the groomers and the park and the trees.
Thanks for all the responses, really appreciate it. I will continue my hunt then, look for a board that is more flex/rocker and has a 250+ waist width.

How do the K2 and Salomon boards fair for my needs? K2 Fast plant seems decent or Turbo Dream (though need to go up to 165 to get enough Waist Width).

So many boards to choose from.. : /

Thanks again!

Last edited by mov.eax; 04-12-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-12-2012, 12:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Ok going to go with a 160cm NS Heritage board...It seems to have good width and support what I want for now.