Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Do rocker-camber hybrid boards need their bindings set back? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/48256-do-rocker-camber-hybrid-boards-need.html)

bntran02 04-13-2012 10:00 AM

Do rocker-camber hybrid boards need their bindings set back?

I just bought a ride Highlife UL recently and will be taking it on one more trip despite the horrible overall conditions. But it appears that I have lucked out with a storm coming into Colorado. I will be going to Loveland where their altitude one of the highest with "snow potentials" at 1-2 inches, 3-5 inches and 7-11 inches for tonight, saturday and saturday night respectively. Which brings me to my question. The Highlife Ul has a rocker in the noise and micro-camber underfoot. If all goes well with the snow, should I even bother setting my bindings back or is that not even enough snow to care?

Replies much appreciated!

walove 04-13-2012 10:04 AM

i wouldn't worry about it, for 11in.
In 3 feet of NW pooder than a little set back always helps.

wrathfuldeity 04-13-2012 10:48 AM

ehh...11" is just a nice little fresh up for the groomer board. We would not even bring the freeride nor the poo stick.

bntran02 04-13-2012 11:01 AM

Slightly different topic but doesn't 1-2 inches, 3-5 inches and 7-11 inches total up to 11-18 inches? I always thought subsequent snow estimation did not include earlier snow otherwise they would say for example "snow potential 101-111". Also, Sunday "snow potential" says 1-2 inches so there is no way that 11 inches is the total overall potential for the weekend

wrathfuldeity 04-13-2012 11:13 AM

But it gets tracked and packed and/or settles. Potential is only nice as hopeful forecasted/expectations

Wiredsport 04-13-2012 11:27 AM

Hi Bntran,

Th Highlife UL is already set back 3/4"...and the board is built with a powder ready nose/profile/design. As long as you are proportionally centered on the inserts, you are set to handle even very deep pow without making any changes. If (not likely) it feels like you are bogging after a day of riding, you can always back it up a little.

STOKED!

hktrdr 04-13-2012 10:23 PM

What others have said: Go with the positions/setback suggested by the manufacturer. If you find that this is not enough, then increase the setback. No different from camber/continuous rocker boards - manufacturers will already have taken the shape of the board into account when working out the basic binding positions.

BurtonAvenger 04-15-2012 12:37 AM

Yes you should have a 4 to 1 ratio in regards to front binding set back to back binding placement. In fact if you can T bolt your back binding all the way back to the contact point you will be set.

bntran02 04-17-2012 10:32 AM

Update:
Loveland was amazing! I would almost say that we got a dosage of the so called "hero snow" with about a foot of fresh powder at the base and more uphill.

I went with the reference binding placement and found it to be ideal for most conditions. In fact, I was eventually riding fully centered without any of my weight shifted towards my back leg.

It wasn't until I found an area with about 3 ft of untouched powder that i felt the need to shift my weight back. However, with even a little bit of speed there was no need to do that at all.

I am now fully convinced that a hybrid rocker-camber board area the way to go.

snowklinger 04-19-2012 12:16 AM

Yea Monday at A-basin was fuckin rad, and Tuesday was fun too.

I won't set my bindings back on a twin unless its like 2' plus, that board is pretty much made for pow, if I wuz U I'd probably never move them from the reference points, unless you plan to go visit Dreampow in the Japan White Room.