Suggestions for freeride board? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Suggestions for freeride board?

Hi All -

I'm looking to add a freeride specific board to my quiver now that the off-season prices have arrived. I'm an advanced but not expert rider. I'm looking for something that will help me get more comfortable at high speeds, stable with good edge hold, and just generally carve the mountain. My main board currently is a Never Summer Proto CT, which I love as an all around everything board. But I'd like to see what a free ride board feels like, and can do for me.

So far I've been thinking about the Custom X, Never Summer Raptor, and Never Summer Premiere F1 (mainly because I'm familiar with the companies), along with the Arbor A-Frame and Rome Anthem. I'm open to other suggestions.

In case it matters, I'm an East Coast rider but try to take one big trip out West every year (which ends up being a significant part of my riding time). I'm 5'7", 150-155lbs, size 7 mens boot.

I know this is a pretty broad question, but this forum helped steer me towards the NS Proto and that worked out fantastic, so I'm hoping I can get some equally good guidance now.

Thanks!

Last edited by TimG; 04-14-2012 at 11:39 AM.
TimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You should look into the CAPiTA Totally F'ckin Awesome. I rode the 2013 model on Thursday for a few hours and it is a damn fine board. It's hybrid camber and stiff tip to tail, yet still semi-soft torsionally. I had it paired up with the 2013 Union Chargers and I was in love. The CAPiTA Black Snowboard Of Death is another one to consider. It's a lot like the TFA, but a little softer. Both of them are super fun to ride. That's two boards you won't hear as much about around here. Now, let the NS suggestions commence.
It never gets old, if you're in it for the passion, and not the fashion
NWBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

If you decide you want a full camber board you will want the A Frame or Custom X. I just went through the exact same process and bought the A Frame- I did not care for the Burton channel binding system and Arbor seems like a respectable company. The Custom X is a great board though.

If you want a hybrid camber/rocker I would go straight for the NS Raptor. Supposed to be a sick board.

If this will be your one board I would go Raptor. If this is to round out a quiver (that has another rocker board) I would go CX/A Frame.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by miked; 04-14-2012 at 10:22 PM.
miked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

It's more to round out the quiver; I've got the Proto CT and a Gnu Park Pickle (and an older regular Custom I'll be getting rid of).

I'm not totally clear on what the disadvantages of a hybrid camber/rocker are on something like the NS Raptor as compared to a camber... or, rather, I completely get it on a board like the Park Pickle. The full-rocker Pickle feels very loose at speed (particularly in the short size board I have). But in terms of the ride itself, how does something like Raptor - a hybrid that is designed for free ride speed - compare to say a Custom X/Arbor A-Frame?

I think what I'm really looking for is something that makes me feel more comfortable going at high speeds. And to date, the things that sometimes sketch me about about the boards I ride now, when I get going really fast are -- They can chatter. When I hit some uneven snow they can catch or hiccup, not sure how to describe it (which at high speed can get ugly). When I'm riding flat they can get a bit squirrely feeling. In general when I get going fast, I just don't feel all that stable, like I could eat it at any moment. I'm sure some a lot of that is technique but I'm guessing some is the board.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

This link may help with your question. http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...ns-raptor.html

Based on your concern about catching an edge I think you would like the Raptor better. The Custom X and A Frame would probably have a higher chance of catching.
Old 04-15-2012, 02:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

If you are still worried about catching edges, maybe you should spend money on improving technique rather than a new board. My boss was on the national demo team for 9 years, he rides trees and steeps quicker than anyone, he rides a proto.....

I prefer the heritage myself, but in my experience rider>board. Don't be too set on all the marketing hype manufacturers put out there, I honestly think you will like charging less on one of those boards you mentioned.

In reality, noone can give you effective board advice, everyone rides differently, what's great to you will suck for somebody else. Go down the shop and demo, it's the only way you will figure it out.
MGD81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:23 PM   #7 (permalink)

That last paragraph above is money
Nolefan2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

MGD81 - you're right about rider>board, and I'd go one further. I'd say it's 98% rider/2% board. Hell my wife is a better, faster rider than me, and she uses one old random board for everything. But given my busy life situation, with job and family, I've got more money than time. And plus I like buying gear, let's be honest.

Not sure if I agree that no one can give you board advice though. Everything I read here about the Proto turned out to be dead on. Without this forum no way I would have found that board. (Also I've had zero luck getting to the mountain when demos are happening. Again the old job, family, interfering with snowboarding.) And on that note, I'll go read about the Heritage. You might be right, that might be better for me.

Back to the underlying question -

Miked, thanks for the link. So if I have this right -- something like the hybrid Raptor (or F1 or even more so the Heritage) would be more forgiving than the camber Custom X/A-Frame. But the tradeoff is that you lose a little bit of carve-ability, etc? I know it's not that simple but is that basically right?
Old 04-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

I would say your comment is generally right, but I doubt you really lose carve-ability with the raptor- just a different feel. Neither feel is better IMO- just personal preference. For a freeride board I prefer camber, but I dont think it is really better for carving. That confusing enough??? Best bet may be to wait until you have a chance to ride both a hybrid rocker and a full camber to determine your preference.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:09 AM   #10 (permalink)

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by miked View Post
This link may help with your question. http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boa...ns-raptor.html

Based on your concern about catching an edge I think you would like the Raptor better. The Custom X and A Frame would probably have a higher chance of catching.
The raptor is a great board but the custom x is more versatile board you can hit same park with it you may not jib and go to same trick rails but for pipe and jumps its a sick board !!!
Depends if you sell your proto buy the customX if you want 2 boards I tink that the raptor+proto is perfect

For example I was wandering to sell mi freeride board to buy a freestyle but in the and I stayed with It and bought a freestyle/park board When I want freeriding I go with mi volkl spirit 164 and when I want to hit same park I go with mi burton dominant

I rode mi uncle customX 162W and it's so fast I love it ! Better than mi Volkl Spirit. But it's up for you !
Yakuzall is offline   Reply With Quote