Butter Board: Slightly above noodle - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Butter Board: Slightly above noodle

I'm looking to start a quiver. I ride alot of Bear Mountain and Snow Summit, and occasionally Mt. High. Small parks, short runs.

Wanting to step up my ground trick game (I.e. start it, because I have no game) I'm looking for a softer board. I don't want a noodle, something that can still go reasonably quick, if it has pop even better. Something even softer than the NS Evo, which I could press just fine, but just want something softer.

Candidates.

Arbor Draft ... is this too soft?
Flow Verve - Real close to just grabbing this bad boy. Can be found super cheap.
Salomon drift rocker
Smokin MIP - A bit expensive for what I want, I'm looking to destroy this stick.

I'm open to any other brands as well. Stock and availability right now is a plus.
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Check out the 2011-2012 K2 Fastplant, its built a little better then then 10-11 model and is made from bamboo (as well as other stuff) so its pretty dam flexible but also sorta rigid too, kinda hard to explain until you've flexed it. Plus its got a 5 year warranty on complete core breaks, like if you snap it in half. Only 1 year on everything else though. I have the 10-11 model and I washed out going pretty fast in the trees and the board hit a tree dead on the nose probably going 20mph (which is fast to me in the trees lol) and there was 0 damage. Also learned how to do my first 180 just going down a green because of how buttery it is (Reverse Camber: Jib Rocker).
budderbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
With extra cheese.

K2 WWW, Arbor Draft (don't downsize unless you ONLY want to butter groomers, otherwise take the one fitty), Capita Ultrafear 147, Signal Rocker Light.

Here's my take. If you plan to have an all park stick that is medium to medium soft like the Evo or Westmark (150ish), take the Draft 147. Just be aware that as soon as the terrain gets even slightly rutted, you're going to hate that board. It's so much smaller than the Draft 150 and Westmark 150 in terms of width that it just gets bucked around like mad in anything but groomers. If you want soft park board that can go all over the mountain but not as well as the Westmark or Evo, take a Draft 150 or maybe 153.

TBH, I don't want a board much softer than the Evo. A Draft 150 or 153 is probably the perfect board for crushing the park and then "skating" the mountain. You won't be bombing anything if the snow conditions get even slightly ungroomed.
CheeseForSteeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I was thinking Draft vs. Verve really. Any idea how the two compare?

If I do a quiver I won't have a westy/evo in it. It'll be something more robust plus the park board. Maybe stick with the coda/SL/proto or even beefier like the Cobra.

If I have just one board it could be the westy/evo type board.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Check out the Echelon Rounds or Killbox. They're local to you and competitively priced. I believe they're both around $300. I own a 152 Rounds and a 155 Capita Ultrafear and the Echelon is softer..
mrmidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:18 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
I was thinking Draft vs. Verve really. Any idea how the two compare?

If I do a quiver I won't have a westy/evo in it. It'll be something more robust plus the park board. Maybe stick with the coda/SL/proto or even beefier like the Cobra.

If I have just one board it could be the westy/evo type board.
Verve is a good slightly softer all park killer, Draft is noodly noodle noodleage. Seriously. In my opinion its too soft. On par with the Nitro Subzero.

Look at the Bataleon Disaster, Nitro Haze, Signal Rocker Light, or a Ride Kink.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Softest board I've ever seen was a 153 CAPiTA Stairmaster. I watched it get stressed and pressed and holy mother is that thing flexy. I couldn't bring myself to ride the noodle though. I'm just not a jibber, and the spring corn was begging for me to rip it at high speeds.
It never gets old, if you're in it for the passion, and not the fashion
NWBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned!

You should be able to get a long way buttering an Evo. When you learn to do it properly, you realize the noodliness doesn't really apply to ability as much as just how it looks. I can butter my Proto (stiffer than an evo) just fine and I'm not very good at it either. Its not the board I assure you. Putting your downhill edge into the snow will buck you no matter how soft your board is.

Check out Cro's little Breck edit on Angrysnowboarder.com (Parks and Recreations Ep. 3 As The Cro Flies The Angry Snowboarder The Angry Snowboarder), he's making that Proto look like a noodle, but I can assure you it provides stability at speed and off big kickers.
Old 04-17-2012, 09:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
You should be able to get a long way buttering an Evo. When you learn to do it properly, you realize the noodliness doesn't really apply to ability as much as just how it looks. I can butter my Proto (stiffer than an evo) just fine and I'm not very good at it either. Its not the board I assure you. Putting your downhill edge into the snow will buck you no matter how soft your board is.

Check out Cro's little Breck edit on Angrysnowboarder.com (Parks and Recreations Ep. 3 As The Cro Flies The Angry Snowboarder The Angry Snowboarder), he's making that Proto look like a noodle, but I can assure you it provides stability at speed and off big kickers.
The thing is I already got rid of the evo earlier in the season. I started charging the mountains in denver so I picked up a more all mountain deck (coda) which I loved. So now I want a softer board to just totally fool around with when on smaller hills such as my local mountains. The Evo is too close to what I think my all mountain board will be (coda, sl, cobra, proto etc.) so I want something completely soft. I won't be charging, or doing big jumps on the stick.

I might pair the thing up with a proto if I like it.

I've watched Cro's videos. A lot (NS always puts them up on their facebook page). Dude's got style man.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Or you could just learn how to butter the one board you have now.