Help sizing a NS Premier F1 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 11:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help sizing a NS Premier F1

Hey - I'm close to buying a NS Premier F1 and need some sizing advice. I'm
using this for freeride exclusIvely. I'm an intermediate-advanced maybe advanced rider. I'm 5'7". 155lbs. Boot size 7 men's.

Trying to decide between 157 and 159. Whaddya think?

Ps - yes this is TimG from the other thread. Just can't sign in under that handle now for some reason. Nothing nefarious.
stimyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2012, 11:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

eh...i'm not really a fan of the F1..feels heavy and like dead weight under your feet. Pretty boring ride IMO, though I'd spice it up with a 157 which would make it tolerable.
WasatchMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 12:30 AM   #3 (permalink)

I'd say 57. There's a pretty significant jump in waist width from 57 to 59, and with your boot size the 59 might seem sluggish. I'm 5'11" 150 and owned a 57 that I really regret selling. Great board and a lot of fun in that size for me.
buggravy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Ok, so I can't find a 2012 157 Premier, and apparently Never Summer aren't making a 2013 157. So... anyone think it's an issue moving up to a 159? Seems doable to me. Shame about the wider board but I assume it should still be about what I'm looking for.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

I am your height and weight with a size 7 boot and I would advise you against a 159. The F1 is going to be a beast of a board. I ride a NS SL and NS Proto CT in 153 and 152 respectively.
P3 Mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

Why not get the raptor in a 156? the f1 will be a beast at any size and sizing up will just make it harder.
chub11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've been advised by a lot of people - including James over at good ride.com - that the Raptor is a much less forgiving board. All around much more difficult to control. And that for what I'm looking for the Premier would be a better fit.

I currently ride a Proto CT 154, and that feels a bit short for what I'm looking for. I also rode a Burton Custom 156 in the past, which also seemed not at all long.

I guess part of my thinking with the 159 (other than that the 157 is unavailable) is, look at their line up of possible sizes. The 159 is the second-to-smallest Premier they make this year, out of 7 sizes. And next year it will be the smallest out of 7. Now, I'm on the smaller side of riders... but at 155 lbs, I doubt I'm the very tiniest guy they're aiming this board at. Seems to me, it's designed to be ridden at longer sizes, given that it's a free ride board.

Well, that's my logic at least. Feel free to tell me I'm crazy.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimyg View Post
I've been advised by a lot of people - including James over at good ride.com - that the Raptor is a much less forgiving board. All around much more difficult to control. And that for what I'm looking for the Premier would be a better fit.

I currently ride a Proto CT 154, and that feels a bit short for what I'm looking for. I also rode a Burton Custom 156 in the past, which also seemed not at all long.

I guess part of my thinking with the 159 (other than that the 157 is unavailable) is, look at their line up of possible sizes. The 159 is the second-to-smallest Premier they make this year, out of 7 sizes. And next year it will be the smallest out of 7. Now, I'm on the smaller side of riders... but at 155 lbs, I doubt I'm the very tiniest guy they're aiming this board at. Seems to me, it's designed to be ridden at longer sizes, given that it's a free ride board.

Well, that's my logic at least. Feel free to tell me I'm crazy.
I don't think there's anything really wrong with getting a 159. It would be more stable and since you already have a proto I'm guessing you would use it mostly for hard charging. However, if you're worried about stability, you shouldn't ignore the raptor because it'll be really stable in any size especially compared to a custom of the same length. It'll also be easier to control in a 156, while the f1 will be more of a handful to turn in a 159. Also, turning will be harder on a 159 f1 with your small feet. The raptor isn't that hard to turn compared to other boards like it. I would demo both because it's the only sure way to know which one you like better
chub11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:04 PM   #9 (permalink)

I don't think you are going to find any NS Raptors below 159 right now. Online anyway. I just bought a 2012 159 and i pretty much looked extensively through all the online dealers and only one of them offered that size at the time. I have looked since and there may be two of them who offer the 159's at a discount. All the other ones will either have the 164 or 169 sizes available at discounted prices right now.
gstboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 02:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hm. Ok, I'm going to see if I can get the 157 directly from NS. That's the only thing I haven't tried yet. Otherwise I might be out of luck, at least as far as the Premier goes.