Too much overhang? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Too much overhang?

My friend wants to trade my 2008 Ride Decade 156cm for his 2007 Bataleon Goliath 149cm. My goal in this trade is to find a suitable secondary board that is used for "play" on day 3 or 4 of a vacation when I no longer have the energy to ride hard. I will NEVER use my Decade again as it has been made obsolete with another board that I have already purchased and used.

My boot size is 10.5 and the Goliath widths are (285,242,285). With regular tennis shoes there is already 1-1.5 inches of overhang on both heel and toes. Is this going to be a problem if I have no intention of riding aggressively?
bntran02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2012, 03:35 PM   #2 (permalink)

It's pretty narrow. Some people will tell you that it's ok if you don't do hard carves but I personally think there's a lot of deep edging going on, especially when fooling around. So if you were asking about buying a board that narrow, I'd say no. On the other hand, if you don't ride your decade anyway, just give the bataleon a try and sell it if it doesn't work out. Nothing to lose there, really.
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:32 AM   #3 (permalink)

It's your friends board right? Why don't you change your boards for one day?
Old 04-21-2012, 09:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4snow View Post
It's your friends board right? Why don't you change your boards for one day?
Since i'll never use my Decade i'm also willing to sell. If I decide to try out the Goliath I wont know if it'll work until next season which means I've lost the opportunity to sell during the summer.

I did some measurements with my snowboard boots. Total overhang of toe + heel is about 3 inches with less than a 45 degree angle. Too much huh?
Old 04-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bntran02 View Post
My friend wants to trade my 2008 Ride Decade 156cm for his 2007 Bataleon Goliath 149cm. My goal in this trade is to find a suitable secondary board that is used for "play" on day 3 or 4 of a vacation when I no longer have the energy to ride hard. I will NEVER use my Decade again as it has been made obsolete with another board that I have already purchased and used.

My boot size is 10.5 and the Goliath widths are (285,242,285). With regular tennis shoes there is already 1-1.5 inches of overhang on both heel and toes. Is this going to be a problem if I have no intention of riding aggressively?
Hi bntran,

You may have posted this elsewhere , but how heavy are you?
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiredsport View Post
Hi bntran,

You may have posted this elsewhere , but how heavy are you?
Nope. This issue just came up so if this is posted elsewhere then it is not me. But since you asked for some stats I wouldn't hurt to provide:

Weight: 160-170lb
Height: 5'10"
Style: All-mnt charger. No park
Locations: Colorado, Lake Tahoe, Utah
Terrain experience: 35% groomed, 35% ice, 10% pow, 20% hard pack
Current Setup: 161 cm 2012 Ride Highlife UL, 2008 Ride Rx bindings, 2012 K2 Maysis Dual Boa

I'm now leaning towards just flat out selling my Decade. 3 inches of total overhang might be too much
Old 04-23-2012, 09:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bntran02 View Post
Nope. This issue just came up so if this is posted elsewhere then it is not me. But since you asked for some stats I wouldn't hurt to provide:

I'm now leaning towards just flat out selling my Decade. 3 inches of total overhang might be too much
With you on that. The 149 is going to be too small for you in terms of both weight and foot size. Plus, new Bataleon decks from 2011/12 are now mostly at $239-250 brand new so it is a great time to sell the old girl and pick up a current ripper

Bataleon Snowboard: Snow Board With Different Snowboards
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:47 AM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I would definitely agree with Wiredsport and say that the board is a bit small for you for your weight and foot size(foot size being the predominant factor) look for something with 1/2" or less overhang per side.
Rider161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #9 (permalink)

great thanks!

I guess I just assumed that a not-so-perfect board would be OK because it would be a secondary board that is used for 2-3 days a season max.