Bataleon Goliath vs Ride Manic vs Other Suggestions? (Very First Board) - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

Everyone has their opinions, with a few caveats I definitely would recommend the goliath as a beginner board, it's pretty flexible, impossible to catch an edge, has great pop, can carve better than a full rocker and float netter than camber. It's a very good medium. Caveats are that you might use the no edge catching of tbt as a crutch, the rock resistance of base and edges are questionable, and you have to keep it waxed all the time. Ride manic is a directional rocker with even softer biax construction, which I don't get... Unless you want a pow stick I don't get that match of materials and design
yuhaoyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #12 (permalink)
It ain`t easy being steezy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdarling19 View Post
When I went to Tahoe this past Christmas, I rode a Bataleon Whatever as my rental board and I really liked it. I had a hard time going straight at times, but I never caught an edge which was great.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrnknZag View Post
As a first board, I wouldn't consider a Batalion unless you've ridden one before and like TBT.

Get the bataleon, especially as an intermediate park rider. You'll be much happier not catching edges on rails(unless you really F'up) and TBT is very forgiving on rutted up takeoffs and landings. Once you get better you might want something with more edge grip if you really want to bomb down some icy mountains, but the bataleon can handle anything else. After a couple days you won't have any problems flat basing and going straight and it will probably feel better than a "normal" board.

I've ridden over plenty of small rocks and branches, nothing but tiny scratches on the bases of my bataleons.

Last edited by honeycomb; 05-04-2012 at 11:46 AM.
honeycomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Member

you already know you like TBT, so yeah, bataleon. People who say it's a crutch should all go back to the 80's boards with no sidecut.

as far as getting a wide, I doubt you'll need it. I wear a 10.5 boot on a 250mm waist width Evil Twin - no problem.

the sintered bases on bataleons are the same as most other brands. I rode my undisputed for 4 seasons (95% glades) before getting even one core shot (this past dry/rocky season was a killer though).
extra0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #14 (permalink)

Maybe I'm biased lol. Re: durability, I've been on it for maybe 10 days this season, for 9 of those it was fine. But on one of those days, looking at the base at the end of the day was a nasty shock (mostly damaged edges though) . But I should rephrase. I'm slightly concerned about it, but do not have enough experience on it to make a call. It is just a regular 4400 sintered with some thinner edges.
I still think it's a crutch because most boards out there don't have tbt. None have 0 or reverse sidecut though except for the banana hammock and some voile splits.
yuhaoyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 04:47 PM   #15 (permalink)

What size would you recommend for the Goliath? I was thinking either a 158, 160W, or a 161, but I'm not sure which of the three would fit me best. Once again, my shoe size is a 12 and I measured my foot at 27.5 cm.
cjdarling19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I'm 6"1" / 175 lbs and wear a size a 11 tennis shoe (10.5 snowboard boot), so I'm actually close to your size.

The 160W Goliath has a massive 265 mm waist width, so that's one I'd eliminate (leave that one to the size 14s). I might base the other 2 choices on whether I thought I was going to be riding more on groomers/light powder or more in deeper powder/trees - the 158 cm for groomers and the 161 for powder.
extra0 is offline   Reply With Quote