Bataleon Goliath vs Ride Manic vs Other Suggestions? (Very First Board) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Bataleon Goliath vs Ride Manic vs Other Suggestions? (Very First Board)

I plan on buying my first snowboard in the coming weeks and I am looking for input from you guys on what particular board I should get. Thus far, I've been riding about six times total and I usually go on a big snowboard trip once or twice every season. Given this, I would say that my skill level is an intermediate. I enjoy riding the whole mountain, especially the pow, but this past season I learned to grind and hit small kickers at the park which was really fun and is something I plan on doing more of in the future.

So far, I've narrowed it down to these boards. My price range is ~$300. I am 6'1 and I weigh around 185. I don't remember what my boot size is, but my shoe size is a 12.

1. Bataleon Goliath ($225 for a 161cm at o2gearshop.com and $330 at every other site I've seen)
2. Ride Manic ($204 at eriksbikeshop.com)

When I went to Tahoe this past Christmas, I rode a Bataleon Whatever as my rental board and I really liked it. I had a hard time going straight at times, but I never caught an edge which was great. On the other hand, I've never ridden the Ride Manic before, but I've heard great things about it. I heard of it because I saw it won the Good Wood award for an all-mountain board under $400.

So, that being said, which of the two boards would you guys recommend? Or, would you recommend another board within my price range? Also, would a 160w or a 161cm fit me best?

Thanks for taking your time to read this post, I really appreciate it! I'm open to any advice or suggestions you guys have. This will be first very first board so I am taking my time and trying to get as much help as I can! Thanks again!
cjdarling19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2012, 11:01 AM   #2 (permalink)

I cannot comment on how each board rides but I purchased a board from o2gearshop a couple months ago with coupon code "OTS". Gets you $30 off 2011 and 2012 model ski/snowboard equipment.This may/may not make your decision even harder. I was hesitant at first because you don't have the option entering a coupon code until the very end.
bntran02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

The Goliath is a great board and if you like TBT, it's a great deal. If there's a 160W available, go with that one.

And disregard all these fancy awards like good wood and whatnot. Almost all of them are either given out after 2 laps in the park or even bought by manufacturers advertising in the magazine that hands out the awards.
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

would say goliath as it's a twin, the manic has offset. I like tbt a lot, just got a 2012 jam beginning of this season. I'm really only used to riding pretty stiff boards so both of the bataleons and the manic has felt pretty soft for me. Can't comment on park performance.

Haven't been on the manic extensively, but I have some concerns over durability of the bataleon base, on minor hits I've recieved some pretty deep scratches. Also their like 88 degree thin edges don't help either.

EDIT: oh right, get the wide one.

Last edited by yuhaoyang; 04-24-2012 at 01:41 PM.
yuhaoyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 02:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

Decide on what camber profile and shape you think would suit you best. The Bateleon is true twin but hybrid camber profile via their tbt technology. Check it out. Some love it, some don't. Personally, I'd nix the Manic and instead look at the Ride Machete. A true twin shape and low rize rocker profile, which would be good for an intermediate and you can pick up a 2011/12 161 wide for around 260 bucks online. It will be perfect for all mountain and fit your future objectives of learning to play around a bit more.
scotty100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

I would get the Goliath. The decision about getting a wide board would mostly depend on the boot you are going to wear. Since many boots have a smaller footprint you can get away with riding a regular board.
Frankyis4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ok, thank you guys so much for the input. I've discarded the Manic like you guys suggested. However, since I made this post, I've been looking at more and more boards online and I've found some very good deals. Namely, for around the same price as a Goliath 160W, I found a 2012 GNU Riders Choice C2X 158W or 162W for $323. I've done lots of research about the board and read tons of reviews on it and it seems like a really solid all-around board. I want to invest in a good board that will last me a while and one that I won't have to replace as I move from an intermediate to a more advanced rider in the next few years. In addition, I found a 2012 Never Summer Legacy 156 or 161 (unfortunately no 159) for $349. That is just a little more than I want to spend, but I'm still highly considering it since I'll more than likely have this board for quite a while (~5 to 6 years). Do you guys feel like those boards would suit me well and which of the two would you recommend?
cjdarling19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

Never Summer make great boards but given your original post stating your experience and what you want to do riding-wise I don't think the legacy should be your first NS choice. By all means buy a NS board but perhaps the Evo or Proto would be better fit. Also, some think they are not the first board choice of a beginner. The riders choice is a good board too by all accounts. But remember the rocker profile is completely different from say the Goliath, one of your earlier choices. I'd seriously think about which type of camber you think would suit you best before you go hunting for the end-of-season deals. My rec. remains the Ride Machete or perhaps even the Arbor Westmark or Blacklist.
scotty100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

+1 for the riders choice, great edge hold, twin, nice true flex and fast base. I love mine!
Old 05-02-2012, 10:27 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

As a first board, I wouldn't consider a Batalion unless you've ridden one before and like TBT.
DrnknZag is offline   Reply With Quote