Could use some help picking a board! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Could use some help picking a board!

Hey everyone, I'm looking to buy an all-mountain board for this season and im having huge trouble deciding on what to get. I'm an intermediate/advanced level boarder, but so far I've pretty much stayed out of the park. I'm planning on doing a lot more park riding this season but still want a board that's going to be sweet at pace/carving/tree runs. I don't need to worry too much about powder as it's the AUSTRALIAN snow season im talking about but of course it wouldn't hurt if it could handle pow as well. I'm 5'9 and about 140lbs. I've been looking around on here and elsewhere and the boards that have stuck out are the Burton Nug, YES Basic, Ride Machete and the Gnu Carbon Credit. If anyone has any advice in these boards or can suggest any others it would be a huge help! Cheers guys
mickey'89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2012, 12:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well I used to have a Burton Custom Flying V and then I got a Yes Basic. After I got the Basic I got rid of the Custom. I like the Basic a lot. It's a pretty versatile board that can handle a lot of conditions pretty well. It's pretty good in the park also. I wouldn't choose the Nug because even though it's decent in the park it's not great outside of it IMO. So out of the boards that you listed I would narrow it down to the YES Basic or the Gnu Carbon Credit. I would say the Basic but I might be a little bias because I have one. But that's going to depends on you. If you want Rocker or Camber or if you want a board with a softer flex. Happy hunting.
Frankyis4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankyis4 View Post
Well I used to have a Burton Custom Flying V and then I got a Yes Basic. After I got the Basic I got rid of the Custom. I like the Basic a lot. It's a pretty versatile board that can handle a lot of conditions pretty well. It's pretty good in the park also. I wouldn't choose the Nug because even though it's decent in the park it's not great outside of it IMO. So out of the boards that you listed I would narrow it down to the YES Basic or the Gnu Carbon Credit. I would say the Basic but I might be a little bias because I have one. But that's going to depends on you. If you want Rocker or Camber or if you want a board with a softer flex. Happy hunting.
I wouldn't get the CC, it's more of a beginner/progression board
chub11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chub11 View Post
I wouldn't get the CC, it's more of a beginner/progression board
But I'm bias towards the Basic.

What board would you recommend out of the boards he picked?
Frankyis4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankyis4 View Post
But I'm bias towards the Basic.

What board would you recommend out of the boards he picked?
Probably the machete or the basic
chub11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Not sure what boards are readily available to you in Aus. I am proudly a Neversummer "fan boy" and for your desires, the NS Proto would be an ideal fit. Problem is I think its an expensive proposition to get a NS down under...

Since you mentioned Gnu, I assume they are available to you locally?. I agree that the carbon credit may not be as much of a high end performer as you might be wanting. I rode both the Rider`s Choice and the Park Pickle with the asymmetrical sidecut. The Riders choice was solid and had a great "does everything well" feel. The Pickle was just flat out one of the funnest boards I have been on other than my Neversummers. The thing just killed it on everything I put it through and it did just great free riding as well as park.

Hope that helps and doesn't muddy the water too much...cheers mate...

Certainly its hard to get your hands on a NS board down here and if you do its a lot of cashola to fork out. Where are you in AUS? I would recommend going to ballistyx in Ringwood as they have a huge selection of boards, from ride to lib, gnu, niche, rome etc

I am almost certain they have GNU riders choice for around $500. i have one and love it, i haven't tested it too much in the park cos I'm not quite on that level but i hear great things about it. I know they also have a billy goat and some yes boards. Ask for frosty down there if you go, he knows his shit and will hook you up a bit on price.

Ballistyx Since 1992 - Shop Online For Snowboards, Skateboards, Longboards, Scooters, Shoes & Clothing. FREE Shipping Australia Wide - Ballistyx

Last edited by cjcameron11; 04-30-2012 at 10:50 PM.
cjcameron11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Another vote for the Never summer proto. Sounds like it ticks all your boxes.

It will be expensive in Oz but they are built to last. I really enjoy riding my proto and its so versatile. It slays powder and carves well, great in trees and soft enough for some park action (although this is not my thing). Also clings to the ice with the vario grip. Not the dampest board but I prefer boards with good feel.

If you can get hold of one I recommend it. The SL is a little more damp but very similar and maybe easier to find.
dreampow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:44 AM   #8 (permalink)

cheers for all the advice. it is a shame that we are a bit limited on what we can get our hands on down here! ive been looking around and it seems as though the brands that are easily available are Burton, Gnu, Nitro, Forum, Rome, and Ride. I've also seen the Yes Basic around a bit so thats good to know, there doesnt seem to be many votes against it. I've just stumbled across a Rome Reverb, any opinions on these? Or any boards from the listed brands jump to mind that might suit? Please shower me with your knowledge
mickey'89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:28 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey'89 View Post
cheers for all the advice. it is a shame that we are a bit limited on what we can get our hands on down here! ive been looking around and it seems as though the brands that are easily available are Burton, Gnu, Nitro, Forum, Rome, and Ride. I've also seen the Yes Basic around a bit so thats good to know, there doesnt seem to be many votes against it. I've just stumbled across a Rome Reverb, any opinions on these? Or any boards from the listed brands jump to mind that might suit? Please shower me with your knowledge
Cherri Cherri Pow Pow in Australia retail the whole Never Summer lineup. They are on the more expensive side but its their craftsmanship and durability that set them apart
JVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 02:37 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I personally wouldn't buy from Cherri pow as their prices are rediculous and the customer service I had personally was second rate, that's justy experience though.

As stars the riders choice seems like it would fit your needs as well as the billy goat, there is a yes Tasman edition that you might like, maybe spoil yourself and get the new machete gt