Hey guys. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 05:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default Hey guys.

Hey guys, im new to this forum and ill try to type correctly. i am buying a new snowboard and bindings this year at a summer sale somewhere online and im in a dilemma between snowboards and a few bindings.
ill start off by listing my stats and preference, so im about 190 pounds and 6'1 feet tall im snowboarding for 4 years now and since im young i was a park rat for 4 years now in the park everyday and then i went to the mountains in banff (i just moved to canada) and i enjoy pow and the whole mountain way more like going fast and popping of stuff. im kinda like Gigi or Nicolas as i started in park but quickly fell in love with mountain. obviously im not nearly as good as them but i also love the helgason bros' specially halldor and thats why i want cartels but i always loved burton and i had burton bindingd before just not the est version.
boards im choosing from:
-Burton custom(camber)
-bataleon Goliath
bindings:
-union forces
-burton cartel est
i understand that est limits me to Burton only boards and i really like it and want it but i also want the playfulness of the tbt and i want to stand out, i like to charge pow, roller, and just anything on the mountain not man made. im going with cartels and i can get either est or non est but i want a custom really bad and i think it can do terrific but i love tbt and if i had money id buy both but i don't so i have to make sure i make the right one. boards i rode before were dc and unknown brand both flat base, should i just go with custom cuz im a fanboy of it since i saw it like 6 years ago in mads part in draw the line. sorry for a long post.
blunted_nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2012, 08:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

I would get Cartel RE:Flex. I have those and they work really well on EST boards like my old Custom flying v and on regular boards like my current Yes Basic. But if you get the reflex you can still have your love of burton and a binding you really like while also getting a board which seems like you think is already better.
Frankyis4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

There's two things I don't understand.

1. You like the Helgasons and thus you want Cartel bindings? Where's the connection?

2. You saw the Custom in a video and that's why you want to own one, even though you like TBT more?

Sorry if I misunderstood...

Check out the Bataleon Omni. It has TBT and is closer to the Custom than the Goliath and it would go well with the Cartels.
Basti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

lol halldor rode cartels without a binding sponsor so there the connection...
i like tbt alot and since im from Europe i want to support bataleon , but i dont know if bataleon will be good since im from canada(which means -30 and lower with windchills) so theres alot of ice on some days while amazing snow on others. i heard that Burton edge grip tech is bad and bataleon uses lighting edges which arent too great also. i want est but thats means only burton and im not really interested in reflex cuz im not looking for a soft park binding with true board flex, hence im going with cartels. i tried k2 and rode them for 2 seasons and they were shit. also rode ride before and those were wayyyy to stiff, i rode burton customs like 8 years ago and i loved them. i also dont have unlimited budget so anything 400 i cant really get unless its like 450 but i have to like it alot. hows burton custom? i saw it in a video and a freind had it and i guess my liking of the board is based on impulsive d**kriding of mads .
anyone wants to chip in if i should get the cartels reflex with bataleon (idk which one yet) or est with a Burton board?...
Old 04-26-2012, 09:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

actually omni is kinda what im looking for and the price tag is VERY low. any suggestions on binding's from burton for omni? looking for disc or reflex.
edit: omni has the freestyle tbt which is not what im looking for, has too much directional shape and the tbt is deep. also im from Europe but i currently live in Canada, Calgary.
edit 2: which bataleon board should i get for this situation : 10% powder 80% mountain 10% park unless its a pow day where 100% pow pow.
im looking at jam, riot, goliath, omni(idl about the freeride tbt) and the et.

Last edited by blunted_nose; 04-26-2012 at 09:49 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blunted_nose View Post
im not really interested in reflex cuz im not looking for a soft park binding with true board flex, hence im going with cartels.
How does a binding with reflex make it a soft park binding? I'm very confused on that. As far as I know a EST cartel and a Reflex Cartel have the same stiffness.
Frankyis4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

didnt know that. sorry....thats why i said in search of a reflex binding.I want the goliath but i want something stiffer so maybe riot or jam or omni?
Old 04-26-2012, 10:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

WELL, I don't know what 80% mountain means. The jam has a slightly directional TBT and twin shape/flex. you get back leg burn in powder, or nosedives... if it's 10% in park and resort powder on dumps, I don't see why you wouldn't go omni and just mount on recommended inserts. (2cm setback)
yuhaoyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

well its cheaper but if i want to go leats say, cop which is park only can i center stance it and ride some rails and jumps. i like omni and imma go for it. then get a job and save up and buy the whole bataleon collection
edit: but the freeride tbt on omni just looks like too much for groomers and since im not in pow land every day i dont think freeride tbt is most versitile? am i wrong and freeride tbt will be good for carving and popping of stuff?

Last edited by blunted_nose; 04-26-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

as far as I can tell, it's decent for groomers, the centre is narrower so you need less effort to get it on edge, it also gets great pop.
COP isn't park only... I'm in edmonton and so jelly of you guys lolol. I wish we had something like that. If you ride park a lot, then it might be better to go with the jam or goliath, but really up to you. Those can do pretty well in resort pow, just remember to lean back if you hit a deep bit.
yuhaoyang is offline   Reply With Quote