Sorry, but... 2012 lib tech TRS or NS proto? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 05:50 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sorry, but... 2012 lib tech TRS or NS proto?

Hi,

I don't mean to bug anybody, but as a student, spending few hundred dollars are still a handful. I have narrowed down to these two boards based on my riding efforts. I currently have a burton custom, and on ice patches, I feel like a hockey puck, and it's been so worn down that I feel like I'm snowboarding on my wooden desk.. lol

It comes down to the proto vs TRS. I can't find a consensus between these two boards, One side of me says, magnetraction on the TRS will be so helpful for my needs, on the other hand, there are so many good reviews on the proto that it is just killing me. I have found a deal for both that sums up to similar costs, which isn't helping since the NS boards seem to not go on sale very much.

If anyone can help me and give me input on these two boards, it'll be highly highly appreciated.

Thanks!
Stewartsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2012, 06:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewartsj View Post
Hi,

I don't mean to bug anybody, but as a student, spending few hundred dollars are still a handful. I have narrowed down to these two boards based on my riding efforts. I currently have a burton custom, and on ice patches, I feel like a hockey puck, and it's been so worn down that I feel like I'm snowboarding on my wooden desk.. lol

It comes down to the proto vs TRS. I can't find a consensus between these two boards, One side of me says, magnetraction on the TRS will be so helpful for my needs, on the other hand, there are so many good reviews on the proto that it is just killing me. I have found a deal for both that sums up to similar costs, which isn't helping since the NS boards seem to not go on sale very much.

If anyone can help me and give me input on these two boards, it'll be highly highly appreciated.

Thanks!
What is your riding style and where do you ride?
chub11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chub11 View Post
What is your riding style and where do you ride?
I am pretty much everywhere. I was about 80% all mountain and 20% park this season, and will be increasing the amount of park next season.

I'm in Calgary, so usually Lake Louise, or resorts in Eastern BC.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
I am pretty much everywhere. I was about 80% all mountain and 20% park this season, and will be increasing the amount of park next season.

I'm in Calgary, so usually Lake Louise, or resorts in Eastern BC.
Do you like to carve aggressively and charge hard? play around and take it easy? ride powder? when you ride park, do you jib or just mostly hit jumps? A little more detail would be helpful.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Do you like to carve aggressively and charge hard? play around and take it easy? ride powder? when you ride park, do you jib or just mostly hit jumps? A little more detail would be helpful.
Most of the time, I'm pretty playful, I look for natural jumps, lips, go through trees. On some runs I do charge hard, but I'm not the biggest fan. I would love to encounter powder, but frankly, I don't hit it that much. I'm not the best at jibbing, but I have been trying. My current board is pretty stiff and makes it hard for me to use it for park, but I'd like to start more into jibbing. I'm a big fan of mid air jumps though.

Edit: One big thing for me is the concern of ice patches.. I encounter quite a bit, and on my current board, I feel like a hockeypuck.

Last edited by Stewartsj; 04-26-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:15 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Most of the time, I'm pretty playful, I look for natural jumps, lips, go through trees. On some runs I do charge hard, but I'm not the biggest fan. I would love to encounter powder, but frankly, I don't hit it that much. I'm not the best at jibbing, but I have been trying. My current board is pretty stiff and makes it hard for me to use it for park, but I'd like to start more into jibbing. I'm a big fan of mid air jumps though.

Edit: One big thing for me is the concern of ice patches.. I encounter quite a bit, and on my current board, I feel like a hockeypuck.
To be honest, I would just demo both and see which one you like more. They're pretty similar and would fit you pretty well, I'd say if you can find a proto get it but a trs would be great too.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
To be honest, I would just demo both and see which one you like more. They're pretty similar and would fit you pretty well, I'd say if you can find a proto get it but a trs would be great too.
How is the proto in icy patches? Unfortunately, the snow is dwindling in the mountains here, and most are closing within the next 2 weeks. I won't be able to test them out any time soon :S
Old 04-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
How is the proto in icy patches? Unfortunately, the snow is dwindling in the mountains here, and most are closing within the next 2 weeks. I won't be able to test them out any time soon :S
Never summer has a grip technology called variogrip which i've heard works really well.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

wow im from calgary aswell
blunted_nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'd probably go with the Proto considering you want to learn jibbing. I've never used it, but I've acquired lots of knowledge as I'm a gear whore haha :P. The TRS is more for jumps and powder.