assymetrical sidecut - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2012, 11:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default assymetrical sidecut

i was comparing the specs of the riders choice sidecut and the riders choice pickle sidecut.and the normal one is a 7.7 sidecut and the pickle version is a 7.7 on the heel and 8.1 on toe.what i dont understand is they didnt make the heel sidecut any deeper like stated, it seems they just mellowed out the toe, wouldnt this do nothing for heelside turn and just make your toeside turns harder to initiate than normal?
boarderbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2012, 01:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Not harder to initiate. Bigger just means longer turns, not harder to initiate.

It's a bit harder shape wise to make a sidecut deeper than to make one bigger... so yeah. Mervin.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

No no, you're not a fanboy yet.

Asym does work and I'm not saying Mervin failed in that instance, but to only make the toeside bigger ands leave the heelside the way it is on the sym, that just feels lazy to me. It means the only reason to get the asym over the regular is if you want smoother toeside turns, if you want deeper heelside turns you just have to look at a completely different model. So then this whole deal of "making" the heelside deeper is a bit'o'marketing play. If the heelside WAS actually deeper it would be different. But it's not.

Also, buy my things?
Old 04-30-2012, 12:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hi guys,

The sidecut radii on the non-pickle version of the RC are already on the small side. If they were to have gone smaller again from there, that would have produced overly whippy boards for the intended purpose. The goal was to produce a board with a more immediately responsive heelside than toeside. Symetical sidecuts force a compromise that a board designer may not want to make. It liberates things a little when you can use a tight sidecut on the heel and not need to on the toe.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

Of course they would go with a shallower sidecut on the toeside as opposed to a deeper sidecut on the heels in regards to "pickling" the RC. The sidecut radius on the board was already pretty deep to start with.

The standard variance for pickle tech is around .4 between toe and heel. The RC started out at 7.7 so deepening the heels would result in a heelside sidecut of 7.3.

A sidecut of 7.3 is not very versatile for most riders, regardless of experience level. The guys on the team (the Riders in Rider's Choice) helped develop the board geometry and the result is a board that has been very well received.
P3 Mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

gnu's first asym board the park pickle they did tighten the heel side, its 7.5/8.3. When i rode it that heel side was much to tight for my liking. I think most advanced riders would prefer a longer toe sidecut but the compromised is made on normal boards to help with the heel side. I would like to see boards with a 8/9 set up. The longer sidecut really helps holding an edge at speed. With high speed turning the board needs to be stiffer so it doenst buckle, and stiff boots and bindings to drive the thing. doesn't seem that the industry is going in that direction. Everything new seems to be soft and orange. Maybe in ten years when there are more old snowboards less concerned with getting sick in the park.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Also important is that every size within the same model will use a different radius (or in this case radii). This alone can change the way a board feels pretty dramtically from one size to another in that each size will "want" to do a slightly different turn.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post

Asym does work and I'm not saying Mervin failed in that instance, but to only make the toeside bigger ands leave the heelside the way it is on the sym, that just feels lazy to me. It means the only reason to get the asym over the regular is if you want smoother toeside turns, if you want deeper heelside turns you just have to look at a completely different model. So then this whole deal of "making" the heelside deeper is a bit'o'marketing play. If the heelside WAS actually deeper it would be different. But it's not.
My sentiments exactly, when I saw the Rider's Choice's pickle specs... not that it's bad, just acknowledging the fact. That said, I'd be interested in a mid-wide (155-158) all mountain board with an asym sidecut. The Rider's Choice does not do Pickle tech in wides. Any alternatives?

davidj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
duh

Semantics. They did not "deepen" the heel edge on the original Park Pickle. There was never a Park Pickle without a deeper heel than toe, it was a completely new board for the line when added. Think of the tech this way- they buildt a board with a deeper edge on the heel than the toe. Nothing new or crazy here, brands have been doing this since at least 1989.

P3 is right about a board with a 7.3m sidecut being very limited in rider versatility. To take the existing RC and Pickle the heelside edge would mean you are also softening the core along the heels from the exisiting flex. That involves removing material which will then limit the size of rider the board can handle.

For 2013 they are coming in regulars and wides, the normal RC(non-pickled) is being discontinued. I didn't get to ride it yet myself but everyone I talked to that did liked it a lot.
duh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I say if you're going to do asym, do it full on. AssPickle style or what YES is doing for their Legends Series or whatever they're calling it.

Also, buy my things?