Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Thanks for the help last time... expanding the quiver advice (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/48442-thanks-help-last-time-expanding-quiver.html)

luckboxing 04-30-2012 01:35 PM

Thanks for the help last time... expanding the quiver advice

I've been riding a 2010-11 Never Summer Legacy 156 (a mid-wide board) for two seasons. This was my first real season of more than a few trips (~50 days at Cypress, 3 days at Whistler, and a waist-deep weekend in Revelstoke). I've been happy with the board, but I don't know if I need a mid-wide board any more and would like to take advantage of the season end deals. I went from a size 11 2006 Vans boot to size 10.5 32's (would drop to size 10 next time).

5'10"
165 lbs (been dropping a bit)
28 years old
Size 10.5 boots (should buy 10.0)

I'd like to get 2 setups... as I'm searching for powder and riding in the trees after any fresh snowfall and happily messing around in the park on the other days. It's also likely that I'll be making the move up to Whistler this winter.

I'm pretty comfortable riding anything (plan on taking some lessons early next season though), can 50/50 or boardslide most features, and just started consistently landing 360's in the park.

Considering a Proto (154 or 157) and a Raptor (164) or maybe Yes Pick your Line (161/164) as they seem to have good reputations on here.

How different would the Proto feel compared to my Legacy? Are boards changing at all next year? I can find the NS boards for just over $300 now if I buy in the US. I'm open to suggestions of all brands.

I bought Ride SPI bindings in XL and the buckles are starting too slip and I think they're a bit too big. Was planning on picking up Malavitas and Restricted Cartels in large. Good plan?

chub11 04-30-2012 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luckboxing (Post 504137)
I've been riding a 2010-11 Never Summer Legacy 156 (a mid-wide board) for two seasons. This was my first real season of more than a few trips (~50 days at Cypress, 3 days at Whistler, and a waist-deep weekend in Revelstoke). I've been happy with the board, but I don't know if I need a mid-wide board any more and would like to take advantage of the season end deals. I went from a size 11 2006 Vans boot to size 10.5 32's (would drop to size 10 next time).

5'10"
165 lbs (been dropping a bit)
28 years old
Size 10.5 boots (should buy 10.0)

I'd like to get 2 setups... as I'm searching for powder and riding in the trees after any fresh snowfall and happily messing around in the park on the other days. It's also likely that I'll be making the move up to Whistler this winter.

I'm pretty comfortable riding anything (plan on taking some lessons early next season though), can 50/50 or boardslide most features, and just started consistently landing 360's in the park.

Considering a Proto (154 or 157) and a Raptor (164) or maybe Yes Pick your Line (161/164) as they seem to have good reputations on here.

How different would the Proto feel compared to my Legacy? Are boards changing at all next year? I can find the NS boards for just over $300 now if I buy in the US. I'm open to suggestions of all brands.

I bought Ride SPI bindings in XL and the buckles are starting too slip and I think they're a bit too big. Was planning on picking up Malavitas and Restricted Cartels in large. Good plan?

why the proto? it's more all-mountain freestyle. the raptor or pyl sound good though, I would get one of them and then eventually replace the legacy with a proto or something similar

luckboxing 04-30-2012 02:20 PM

I'm planning on buying 2 new boards and not really using the Legacy any more. Thought the Proto would be a good board for messing around the mountain on non-powder days and also the park. Should I get something more park oriented?

Basti 05-01-2012 01:37 AM

the pyl is an amazing freeride/pow board. i ride the 161 and it handled the whistler sidecountry perfectly and is a fun speedmachine on groomers. you can't go wrong with the board.

i'd think about different bindings though. the reflex baseplates on the cartel make the toe and heel part of the binding lift under pressure. check out the forum republic. they're very similar to the cartels but have a better baseplate.

Leo 05-01-2012 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basti (Post 504235)
the pyl is an amazing freeride/pow board. i ride the 161 and it handled the whistler sidecountry perfectly and is a fun speedmachine on groomers. you can't go wrong with the board.

i'd think about different bindings though. the reflex baseplates on the cartel make the toe and heel part of the binding lift under pressure. check out the forum republic. they're very similar to the cartels but have a better baseplate.

If you're talking about the mounting disc, Forum and Burton uses virtually the same disc. Same hinged design. After all, Burton does own Forum and Forum gets some parts directly from Burton like their ratchets.

I can't speak for the PYL or Raptor, but I can speak for the Proto. The Proto will flex like your Legacy, but won't be as damp. It has more pop than the legacy too.

If you want a board specifically for park games, I'd do the Evo instead. If you want to make the whole mountain your park, the Proto will be better. The Evo isn't terrible on the mountain though. I just prefer the added stability of the Proto over the Evo for the times I feel like maching down a run.

If you're going to do a hefty board like the Raptor for freeride, you should consider different bindings. The Cartels and Malavitas are considerably more playful than the SPI. If you want to stick with Burton, the Diodes would be a great match for the Raptor. Consider the Ride Capos or El Hefe (stiffest) if you like that brand.

Malavitas would be nice on the Proto or Evo. The previously mentioned Forum Republics are an excellent choice as well and will save you some dough too!

walove 05-01-2012 11:12 AM

im about your weight i'd go with a 154 evo for park/fun days, for the bigger board it depends on the terrain you plan to ride. The raptor is stiff an damp. Good for carving and steep technical lines. The pick you line is more all mountain and will be "more fun" and playful in all types of terrain.

As for bindings get something soft and plastic for the evo there are tons of options out there. I'd keep the spi's for the bigger board, its a solid binding, a aluminum baseplate will give much more response than most plastics. Check if you can adjust the heel cup in, i don't remember. You can replace ladders call ride they will send you some Then shorten them, a lot of ladders have a big space before the teeth start. I've put a hole right through the teeth and mounted them there, that way you can ratchet all the way to the end.

blytha89 05-01-2012 01:49 PM

I got a Jones Hovercraft this year for powder and ended up using it no matter what conditions were. Its the most fun board I've ever been on. My other board, Bataleon Omni hasnt got much use since I got it, and I traded my Rome Artifact Rocker for a pair of (gasp!) skis.

Basti 05-01-2012 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leo (Post 504253)
If you're talking about the mounting disc, Forum and Burton uses virtually the same disc. Same hinged design. After all, Burton does own Forum and Forum gets some parts directly from Burton like their ratchets.

That's only partly true. Yes, they both use a similar mounting disc design (hinged, but not the same way) with the big difference that the forum disc is considerably bigger and consists of two parts. The toe and heel parts of the binding do not lift. I've got both bindings right here and can take a picture if you want. The lift is a big issue with the Malavitas which has been documented in this forum a few times. Some people don't care but it annoyed me a lot.

I'm aware that Burton owns Forum and I know that the Shaka is supposed to be Forum's Malavita but the bindings don't feel like they were developed in the same lab. For example, the Shaka has an aluminium heel cup which is actually customizable. Both isn't the case with the Malavitas.

luckboxing 05-01-2012 09:09 PM

That's a lot of help... spent hours reading the forum (and other review sites) about these boards, but glad I posted as I'm still finding out new info.

I think I'll go with the Proto (better than the Evo for riding the whole mountain most days) and the PYL as I want something that has great float in serious powder, but still good for the rest of the mountain on those days.

Now I'm just trying to figure out sizing... would a 154 Proto and a 161 Pick Your Line make the most sense? The local shop has a few Protos left over for 30% off retail, I'm thinking I should grab one ASAP. Anybody know where I can find a PYL (Canada or US)?

I've been looking into the Forum Republics that you've mentioned. Do they have canted footbeds my Ride SPI's? Really like the shock absorption and canted footbeds in my bindings right now. Looks like they can be found for a great deal now. Definitely going to email ride for some new straps and probably use them for awhile on the freeride board as suggested.

Basti 05-02-2012 12:49 PM

Your sizing ideas sound good. I think a saw a PYL 161 at Pacific Boarder and Showcase in Vancouver the other day but they don't have an online store so you might have to call them.

The Republics have simmer down tech which is pretty much the same as Autocant by Burton. The insides of the footbed are slightly softer so your feet cant exactly the amount they should and not the pre-determined 2.5 degrees that Ride bindings give you. They have a bit less shock absorption though. Ride has crazy big cushions ;). If you like Ride bindings a lot you could also check out the Capo. Super solid responsive bindings.