Snowboard Theft - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 12:41 PM   #11 (permalink)

this is somethig that i have always thought about..never heard about board being stolen,or seen locks on boards...but just to be safe always left my proto in my sight
vukovi21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2012, 12:46 PM   #12 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Stolen snowboards happen at all resorts, some more so than others. I know the season before last, Summit County was getting hit hard. I'm not sure if that's eased up some or not.

I've never really heard much of an issue with it at Loveland, but I'm sure it happens occasionally. Just wait until the methheads along the I-70 corridor between Idaho Springs and Georgetown realize what an easy score lifting gear from Loveland would be...
Old 05-01-2012, 12:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned!

I am a total spaz when it comes to my board and prefer to keep it in sight even though I carry a lock. My friends make fun of me but I'm the one who spent almost $600 on a '12 NS, and I'll replace it when its destroyed, not stolen.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

every resort I went to last year had this system available and I always used it.

Sassicaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post
every resort I went to last year had this system available and I always used it.

I see these fucken racks ALL over the place (like every fucken mountain) but I've NEVER seen the lock bit! Are they purchased separately? Rented? Looks proprietary.

Always wondered about those racks.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidde View Post
Tbh I don't think I've ever seen boards or skis with locks. :P
So lock theft is widespread...
BoardWalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowklinger View Post
I see these fucken racks ALL over the place (like every fucken mountain) but I've NEVER seen the lock bit! Are they purchased separately? Rented? Looks proprietary.

Always wondered about those racks.
If you see the racks then all the local stores should stock the locks. They look like this, and are about $25-$30 bucks. VERY easy to use and carry around. A must IMO...

Sassicaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #18 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

+1 to the ski key...

I can't say I've ever been to a resort that doesn't have the ski key system. Small, it's in my pocket all the time so it works at the mid-mountain and upper mountain lodges. Even if I'm just heading in the lodge for 30 seconds to drain the lizard it gets locked.

Is it foolproof? Of course not. I lost the trigger lock key for one of my shotguns and in less than a minute with a drill and crowbar I had the thing off. Is it a deterrent? Absolutely...

My boards are insured by the deductible is $1000 or so. I'd rather keep the board thank you very much!
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post
If you see the racks then all the local stores should stock the locks. They look like this, and are about $25-$30 bucks. VERY easy to use and carry around. A must IMO...

Quote:
Originally Posted by poutanen View Post
+1 to the ski key...

I can't say I've ever been to a resort that doesn't have the ski key system. Small, it's in my pocket all the time so it works at the mid-mountain and upper mountain lodges. Even if I'm just heading in the lodge for 30 seconds to drain the lizard it gets locked.

Is it foolproof? Of course not. I lost the trigger lock key for one of my shotguns and in less than a minute with a drill and crowbar I had the thing off. Is it a deterrent? Absolutely...

My boards are insured by the deductible is $1000 or so. I'd rather keep the board thank you very much!
Right on, that looks less bulky than my Dakine lock, which was cheap and works but I really don't like it in any of my pockets. ty.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #20 (permalink)

I figure if I lock my board then they will steal the one beside mine that is unlocked.

Sure with a screwdriver or a blow torch or a chain saw you can get through any lock. But one would think that a thief wouldn't want to be drawing attention and would like to grab the board quick and leave. The more time they spend removing bindings and breaking locks the greater the chance the board owner is going to come back.

It would be nice if snowboards had serial numbers on them.

The snowboard community seems pretty tight and having a data base on stolen boards would be helpful. Even if a hadnful of people get charged and another handful get their board back it would be a success.
Easto is offline   Reply With Quote