Snowboard Theft - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #21 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Does anyone remember the K2 Eldorado from about 10 or 12 years ago?

It had about a half inch grommet hole in the tail, Apparently for towing it.
I always thought it was for locking it up, but it was a brilliant idea.
If every board had it, I don't think any boards would get stolen. Well moist anyways.

I tried to find a pic of just the tail but, no luck.

TT
timmytard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easto View Post
It would be nice if snowboards had serial numbers on them.
I have numbers on most of the snowboards I've owned, Ride, Gnu, Libtech, Endeavor.
It's usually located at the toe edge between the bindings or close to the rear binding when riding regular. I suspect these are inventory control numbers.
hpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #23 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yep, lots of manufacturers number their boards. NS does too.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #24 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easto View Post
I figure if I lock my board then they will steal the one beside mine that is unlocked.

Sure with a screwdriver or a blow torch or a chain saw you can get through any lock. But one would think that a thief wouldn't want to be drawing attention and would like to grab the board quick and leave. The more time they spend removing bindings and breaking locks the greater the chance the board owner is going to come back.

It would be nice if snowboards had serial numbers on them.

The snowboard community seems pretty tight and having a data base on stolen boards would be helpful. Even if a hadnful of people get charged and another handful get their board back it would be a success.
Don't all snowboards have serial numbers on them?

I just checked all mine, every single one has a serial number.
Starting from the Kemper Phantom from about 1990 up till my last years NS.
timmytard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:15 PM   #25 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I don't think my Capita does right off the top of my head, but I wouldn't swear to it.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:22 PM   #26 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Yeah everything from my 1995 Kemper Freestyle on up has had a serial number (yes I've only owned 3 boards, but that includes the GFs board and every one I've ever seen off the top of my head). Trouble with a serial number is it's no different from a TV serial number. It could be useful if you had a record of it, and the cops found it.

Hell I had a car stereo stolen by a "buddy" of mine in high scool. I still had the boxes, serial numbers, receipts, everything. I led the cops to his house where they found the speakers, but since he peeled the labels off they said they couldn't identify them!!!

Bottom line is the best way to keep something is to not have it stolen in the first place. If everybody left a wallet with $500-$2000 cash in it sitting outside the lodge unlocked, would you? I'd still lock up my wallet even if everyone else left theirs out...
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #27 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
That ski lock thing is awesome. I wish Meadows had those! I dont leave that Cobra period locked or not. It even goes into the shitter stall with me....
Just looked it up and looks like the company's based out of Whistler. Probably why I've seen them all over Canada. I seem to remember Jay Peak having them in Vermont, but they're 15 mins from the Canadian border and have a lot of Canuck skiers/riders on their slopes.

I sort of figured they were standard at all resorts! It's a fair investment to begin with though, considering the resorts have to buy the racks specific to their locks.

The T7 makes me paranoid sometimes. There's one lodge at Nakiska that doesn't have any ski-key racks outside, and once I went in for 20 minutes with it outside and I was nervous the whole time. Having $1500 MSRP worth of board and binding out there for someone to take isn't fun! So now I sit outside at that lodge and the board sits with me at the picnic table, somebody has a problem with that and they can take it up with the board... He's not much of a talker...
Old 05-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #28 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.

One warning. Do not get those locks wet. When the water freezes inside them, you discover that the keys are made of very soft, bendable metal. Then you invent new swear words.

I hate the parts between winter
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
Got a screwdriver? 60 seconds or so and all you have is a binding dangling on a chain.
True, but hopefully someone will see that and be like "WTF?" I know I would..

Quote:
Originally Posted by linvillegorge View Post
I don't think my Capita does right off the top of my head, but I wouldn't swear to it.
I'm pretty sure it does, I know mine does, but it took me FOREVER to find it. Like I swore it wasn't there when I looked and then one day I noticed it when I wasn't looking for it.

As for the original question, my first board got stolen on a Thursday night at Devil's Head in WI. My friends were done and I just left my board by the door when I went in to take a piss before I took one last run. Came out and it was gone. It was a Morrow Radium with Morrow bindings, so it wasn't a HUGE loss but I ordered a Ride Kink w/ Ride bindings the next day. Needless to say I've never made the same mistake again. I use the board check every time if it's available and have a rifle cable and padlock for if it's not.
mrmidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #30 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
One warning. Do not get those locks wet. When the water freezes inside them, you discover that the keys are made of very soft, bendable metal. Then you invent new swear words.
Yeah I do two things, I always bang off the snow/ice from the metal pin that goes into the lock, and the lock itself stays in my inside jacket pocket where it stays dry (beside my phone). If it ever froze on me I'd grab some hot water from the lodge to thaw it out methinks... yeah yeah better than just turning until she breaks!