Buying my First Board - Beginner/Intermediate Rider - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 04:05 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Buying my First Board - Beginner/Intermediate Rider

Hey guys.

Going Snowboarding for the second year in a row to Queenstown NZ and wanna buy myself a setup rather than hiring again. I wanna go yearly so I think I might aswell buy now instead of continuously paying for hire. I'm about 188cm and weigh 85kgs, with size 11-12US boots. Last year I rode 75% Mountain 25% Park. So this year I'm probably wanting to do alittle more park but still be able to feel in control going down the mountain. Just wondering what boards you would suggest and what size for me. Keeping in mind though I'll be ordering online so not all brands can be shipped to Aus.

Thanks
kleggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Hey Kleggy, welcome to the forum, I'm from Melbourne and am also heading to Q'town this year again. My suggestion would be to go to your local snowboard shop and have a chat first about what they recommend, I'm sure plenty of people here wil have suggestions as i do but to be honest if you go and chat to someone at a shop you get to see the board bindings and gear and most importantly try on your boots.

Never buy boots based on size only, you have to try try try!! anyway if you are in melbourne hit up ballistyx, mordy's, bumps, or wayne riches and have a chat.

As for a board suggestion I'm loving my gnu riders choice, great all mountain and good in the park from what i have heard.
Old 05-08-2012, 02:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjcameron11 View Post
Hey Kleggy, welcome to the forum, I'm from Melbourne and am also heading to Q'town this year again. My suggestion would be to go to your local snowboard shop and have a chat first about what they recommend, I'm sure plenty of people here wil have suggestions as i do but to be honest if you go and chat to someone at a shop you get to see the board bindings and gear and most importantly try on your boots.

Never buy boots based on size only, you have to try try try!! anyway if you are in melbourne hit up ballistyx, mordy's, bumps, or wayne riches and have a chat.

As for a board suggestion I'm loving my gnu riders choice, great all mountain and good in the park from what i have heard.
Thanks for the tip mate. When are you heading to Queesntown? I'm going late Aug, can't wait.

Yer definetly that was the plan to go to a store and try on a few boots as see what they reckon. As much as I would prefer to buy from a store. If its $100+ cheaper to buy online, I'm probably going to do it. When saving for a holiday that's like a nights accommodation. Lol.

So you reckon the GNU riders choice aye? I'll have a look at that one for sure. GNU is one of the brands I can ship out of the states as well as K2, lib Tech and a few others.

What does everyone else suggest for a decent board that's not going to break the bank :P
Old 05-08-2012, 06:44 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleggy View Post
Thanks for the tip mate. When are you heading to Queesntown? I'm going late Aug, can't wait.

Yer definetly that was the plan to go to a store and try on a few boots as see what they reckon. As much as I would prefer to buy from a store. If its $100+ cheaper to buy online, I'm probably going to do it. When saving for a holiday that's like a nights accommodation. Lol.

So you reckon the GNU riders choice aye? I'll have a look at that one for sure. GNU is one of the brands I can ship out of the states as well as K2, lib Tech and a few others.

What does everyone else suggest for a decent board that's not going to break the bank :P
Preseason sales should be starting soonish in oz? I know stocks for NZ are coming in mid/late this month and everything gets to oz first.

If you can try on a boot and find the same pair online for a bargain then that might be your best bet.
Jollybored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

I don't know what your thoughts are on. Buying a used board. But I have been offered a 162 Burton Custom Wide Board, L/XL Burton Custom Bindings and a bag w/rollers for $300. The board has been used for 2 ski trips and is said to be in excellent condition. So all I would need to buy is a pair of boots. Does this sound like a good deal, or a board that would suit for skill level/height & weight/riding style?

Thanks
Old 05-08-2012, 07:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Used gear can definitely be a great way to go if the gear has been looked after. I buy new but i have the means to do so and i enjoy shopping for new shit, but in saying that i sell my old gear so i look after my shit like its a baby. So you can definitely find some deals around.

I don't have any experience with burton but I'm sure people around here can chip in. And i know you're on a budget saving for NZ but don't forget the local stores, you would be surprised at how nice a deal you can actually get!

Also I'm headed to NZ early Sep!
Old 05-09-2012, 06:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

Definetly trying to get to a local store. There are a few boards for sale locally that are last years models that have been looked after. Trouble is they all end before I would be able to get to the store to see what size bindings/boots I am. Plus there size 156, which I think should be ok for me. What do you think?

What are the 2011 GNU Carbon like? Suitable for me in the 156 size?
Old 05-09-2012, 07:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Im probably not the best with sizing you for a board but i would say any boot size of 11+ you would need a wide board so keep that in mind, i would also look around the 156-158cm range if i remember correctly.

The carbon credit is a good beginner to intermediate board, but probably more headed to beginner. I have heard great things about its ability to help you progress all over the mountain and is reasonably priced, although i have not ridden it myself.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

with a size 11 or 11.5 boot he is ok with anything that has 255mm ww probably can go lower but not much this should be a safe bet imo
vukovi21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

The 2011 GNU Carbon Credit is $80. Great condition. That what caught my eye. That way I can spend extra money on my bindings and boots as thats what I've heard not skimp on.