Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Big Mountain/Powder Board (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/48534-big-mountain-powder-board.html)

mrmidWest 05-10-2012 11:23 PM

Big Mountain/Powder Board

I get out of the marine corps next season which will free me up to ride a lot more, so I'm planning on getting another board for big mountain/resort powder days.. I've narrowed it down to these 3 and I'm looking for others opinions:
NeverSummer Summit
Bateleon Omni
Capita Charlie Slasher

walove 05-11-2012 08:38 AM

the charlie fits that description well. stiff enough to be stable in big mountain situations and has a fat rockered tip to float. It just wasnt that much fun to ride. It didnt like to carve very well and sort of felt dead.

I havent rode the others, the summit looks sick, and i like the RC profile better than flat boards. I like my pow boards big and soft to give that surfy feel, while i like my big mountain boards closer to normal size and stiff for maneuverability and stability. I say get two boards.

A lib tech la nina, ride bezerker/highlife, jones flagship, neversummer raptor, or whatever burton is calling the supermodel now might fit the bill though. they wont be the pow destroyer that the charlie or summit will be, but they have a pow oriented shape in a big mountain package.

walove 05-11-2012 08:40 AM

another question, how much pow, and how big are your mountains.

mrmidWest 05-11-2012 11:07 AM

Utah, and hopefully some days in BC

walove 05-11-2012 11:40 AM

Utah has light snow and steep mountains which makes float less important. BC, I assume you mean british columbia not back country, along with WA and OR have heavy snow and rolling terrain where float is very important.

Another board to look at is the venture odin. Big mountain with a little taper. Venture makes really nice boards.

NWBoarder 05-11-2012 11:57 AM

The Charlie is the budget Pow board. It's a great ride for what you pay for it. :) And the 2013 only improves upon the previous models. I can't speak for the others cause I haven't ridden them. I can say that the TBT on the Bataleon is a love it or hate kind of deal. If you've never ridden it, then I would try to demo a board with it before deciding on it.

wrathfuldeity 05-11-2012 12:23 PM

Have 2010/11 c slasher 164, it has a ton of float, is suuurrrrfy and stable for drops and natty hits, however it likes big open carves not the tight snappy turns...it will snap but you got to really got to work it. Anyway I've lost weight and it seems a tad too big so thinking of splitting but probably sell it, pm if ur interested its has 12-15 half-days of Baker poo on it.

linvillegorge 05-11-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity (Post 505368)
Have 2010/11 c slasher 164, it has a ton of float, is suuurrrrfy and stable for drops and natty hits, however it likes big open carves not the tight snappy turns...it will snap but you got to really got to work it.

This. I love my CS, but it's not great in tight spots. Nothing better for slaying big open bowls though. The float is ridiculous. If you sink this thing, you just can't ride.

walove 05-11-2012 02:57 PM

I have a 65 snowmullet and my buddy has a 65 charlie and the mullet just does everything better. Retails for 150 more though. The mullet turns great and quick in all snow, is fun to ollie and butter, and has more float thans the mullet. Too bad they don't make it anymore. I'm thinking about a birdman 180 if I can find a deal, if I can't find a used mullet. Four years of montana rocks have done it toll.

legallyillegal 05-13-2012 11:08 PM

damnit guys i was looking into a charlie for the not-as-deep days