New season, New setup - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2008, 12:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default New season, New setup

ALLLLRIGHT! Hello to all, i am new and in need of advice.

I am an 18 year old New Zealand lad, with some cash to burn. I am getting myself a season pass this year for my local mountain (or at least closest mountain, go the NZ$240 season pass!) mt. ruepehu and i was wondering if anyone could show me some options for a board some where between the middle and upper range of the market.

18 years old
86 kg or 189 lbs
6'3"
size 11 feet
I'd like something for freestyle riding but with the ability to still freeride well as i still need to get some of my basic freeriding skills on lock. Maybe something a little multipurpose.

sorry if i've left something out, just tell me if that is the case.
(new to the buying market as my previous boards have been hand me downs)
links to website/good deals much appreciated.

NZBOARDLIFE
nzboardlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2008, 02:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Thank you very much, i think im leaning towards an all mountain board now, hitting the park properly might be a little ahead of where im at. I can always buy a flexable board next year and rock 2.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
JoshE950

Talking

Hey nzboardlife if your interested in Rome boards I can give you the email of a rep who can refer you to a stockist. Also for general questions email Rome, they have great customer service.

If your looking for 07 Rome gear, a few shops are still clearing that out and theres some good deals to be had. Lets just hope theres a bit more snow this season to help us out! Whats the riding like up North?
Old 03-26-2008, 05:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Hey! Im gonna assume you are from the south island? I am trying to get myself a Rome Agent between 158 and 160 cm for under US$300 and some Targas for under US$160, found some but shipping prices are insane.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The riding aight, has its days, on and off like crazy. Not like the trips i've taken to Queenstown and Wanaka.
Yeh i good snowfall this season wouldnt go a miss
Old 03-26-2008, 06:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
JoshE950

Yep! Canterbury region and moving down to Queenstown to become a boarding instructor this season. Yeha shipping prices are pretty massive, I had the same problem. Emailed the guys at Rome and they forwarded my email to a rep over here.

If your looking for 08 gear you'll probably be hard pressed to get anything that cheap (but most stores are still clearing out there 07 stuff). And might give you a deal on board and bindings. Yeah, i also heard that it got real busy

The only other thing i can think of is Trademe, Buy Sell or Ebay AUS etc. but I'm not sure what they'd have.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Its still cheaper with the extreme shipping prices then on trade me and what not, those people want only a tiny bit less than retail for there stuff. yeah it gets crowded with asian tourists (no rasism, just fact) on weekends, which is a bit lame as i can only really go weekends, usually go take fridays and mondays off to get good runs then. It's really annoying for the people on the starter slops though because the tourists sit along the slope blocking it, doing nothing, without knowledge of what there doing
Old 03-26-2008, 09:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Lightbulb New International Options

So I just set up a shipping option for boards to NZ through UPS Worldwide Express 2-5 day. It's $300 and goes up to 22 lbs in weight for the same price. So get a Mate to go in with you and order two boards and split the shipping cost.

Bindings and Boots can go into single orders using USPS $37-50 Flat Rate Boxes. My system would force you to order these separate. I'll work on this for your summer loving!
Old 03-26-2008, 10:20 PM   #8 (permalink)
JoshE950

Yeah, i guess just the fact that most of the north islanders go to the same ski field would be enough to keep it busy. Worth visiting though?? Cheers for the idea, but hopefully i can pull some strings round these parts. That could be interesting if i cant.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Josh, any info you can share on the rome supplier or what not, im exploring my options

Porters Sports Frequently Asked Questions - International Shipping this site does it at $100 a board on the agent and has a competetive price

and its only worth visiting if it coensides with you coming to the north island for other reasons or competitions. compared to the lake region its not that good, just local

Last edited by nzboardlife; 03-26-2008 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
JoshE950

Hey, Nic Hides nic@bobo.co.nz is the rep and there is a guy selling some cheap agents on trade me (500 each with free shipping), but im not sure if he's legit or not. That looks interesting, but the out-going taxes might be expensive. and i've heard good things about another resort up there (tukino pops to mind for some reason)