Which Board : 163 or 166 ? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2012, 03:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Which Board : 163 or 166 ?

Hi there

I am looking at buying a new K2 snowboard. Either the Slayblade 163 Wide or the 166 Wide. My current board is a K2 Nemesis 164 Wide from the year 2005. I take a size 13 (UK) boot !!

I am 6'2" tall, weigh 95 kg (210 lbs), my standard is advanced. I have been boarding for 10 years. I prefer long, fast runs, at maximum velocity, such as Klein Matterhorn at 3,900m down to the bottom of either Zermatt or Cervinia, or over in Argentiere, Les Grands Montets at 3,300m down to Argentiere Village at 1,200 m. I used to speedsail (windsurf) professionally in the 1980s and 1990s, and my activities on a snowboard are basically seeing how fast I can go, with obviously some ability to carve out crazy fast turns in preferably powder........I do not do any large jumps (yet !!), but can do small 'jibs'/jumps, however, I mainly stick to piste/near piste. I also need ability to handle tight turns in some resorts, but I am no aerial freak !! I would like to learn more viz a viz ‘park tricks’, such as small, low, short rails and similar ‘table tops’, also want to go to Whistler in Canada to surf their amazing powder. Would the longer board be better for me, or will it hinder me in manoevers ?

Please help me to decide between a 163 or a 166, cheers and thankyou
ultimatebuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

166. Jibbing won't be too much fun on that slayblade so if you really want to do that buy a second board
chub11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 12:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

You could really go either way. I might lean towards the 163 since it seems like you want to branch out and do more than just bombing groomers and doing big carves in powder.

I'm 6'4'' 210 riding a 161.5 (down from 167 with my old camber board) and the size works great for me. Plenty stable for bombing, floats well in the powder and small enough to have some fun on (jumps, natural jibs, etc.).

The slayblade is a super stable board so even at the smaller size it will still bomb the mountain like a beast.

Again, either way will be just fine for you though.
schmitty34 is offline   Reply With Quote