Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   stance width :) (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/48623-stance-width.html)

vukovi21 05-24-2012 11:03 AM

stance width :)

hi guys...im not new to snowboarding at all it just might be the case of me beeing retarded :)

can anybody tell me what is my stance width..im riding never summer proto 160 with a 15/-15 duck stance and i set my bindings on the last inserts...but what is my stance width :D being 6'4'' this feels great for messing around but surprisingly so stable when im booming down the track,no chatter when i am on my heel edge :0 or it may all be just the case of me progressing

lernr 05-24-2012 12:41 PM

Don't have this board to measure, but in general wider will be more stable - it's basic science. If you don't care about science - JJ also recommends widening your stance as one of the best ways to improve your riding, based on his experience

HoboMaster 05-24-2012 02:17 PM

You need a tape-measurer to determine actual stance width, which is: The distance between the center of the dial-cup of your left binding and your right binding. Wider stances increase stability and often reduce chatter, making it better for freestyle - but you sacrifice turning inertia by doing so. It's hard to carve efficiently with a super-wide stance.

IndraRipper 05-24-2012 02:17 PM

Get a tape measure and measure from the middle of one baseplate to the middle of the other.
I love riding wide!

Donutz 05-24-2012 02:40 PM

Stance is supposed to be about shoulder width apart, but of course that's a generic average. The way I think of it is, if you go into a defensive crouch, you're probably at about your comfortable stance width. Too wide and your ankles and shins start to hurt, unless your bindings are canted. Too narrow and you tend to be forced to stand with straight legs, which negatively affects performance. At 6'4" on a 160, You may be too narrow even at the outer ends of the mounting holes. And that's the problem with buying a board based strictly on weight. If you're far outside the bell curve for height/weight ratio, your board may not be able to accommodate your desired stance width.

IndraRipper 05-24-2012 03:00 PM

Don't do this!
Hesh To Death - YouTube

HoboMaster 05-24-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IndraRipper (Post 506404)

Haha, they're so good they just stomp shit anyways.

vukovi21 05-25-2012 01:30 AM

thanks for the answers..you are right i need to get the tape measure..i thought there are some specs online that would let me see what the width is without the tape
you are right about the chatter..i was riding on the second to last inserts..didnt wanna switch all the way to the outside because i was afraid that it would be to wide...once i did the first two runs i was riding like a retard...but after that i was shocked...i felt that i hit the sweet spot with it and not changing it back :)

vukovi21 05-25-2012 05:08 AM

when i take stance width into consideration it seems i made a good choice with a 160 proto considering my 6'4'' 215lbs frame...was wondering if i should've went with 157 as a bit more playful feel...but this is a really solid all mountain stick for me