NS SL Base Delam - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default NS SL Base Delam

I know there are a couple of threads already on base delams but i wanted to share my experience and see if anyone had some new info.
Bought my SL 161 from the Boardroom in Vancouver for my Canada trip in 2010/11, i'm from Australia.
Did 4 weeks in BC and when i returned home i noticed a thin crack just above the steel edge about 10cm long.
Contacted the Boardroom and after much effort sending pics etc. they agreed to reimburse me for the repair if i could find someone local to fix the board. Now after a long time off i'm planning a trip to NZ and want to get my board repaired but the new 'customer service' guy is not interested in following up on the original promise. The board is still under warranty.
Anyway i've contacted NS hopefully they can help me out.

But just in case NS can't help, can anyone give me tips for fixing the board, check out the photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1245.jpg (159.6 KB, 175 views)
TABLECHAIRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

I don´t see anything!!!!
Massimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Looks like you hit something.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #4 (permalink)

It does look like you hit something.In the pick the steel edge looks dented.
TMXMOTORSPORTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
The Rooster King

i have a few NS boards and i have hit lots of shit, rode over rocks @50mph - none of them split like that.

i will be shocked and disappointed if they don't take care of you on that one.... that said i can see how they might say "its your fault, too bad" - if they do then get a good 2 part epoxy, mix it up and drip it in there or even better shoot it in with a syringe, and clamp it while it dries and cures

still, its NS.... i hope in my heart of hearts that they would just replace that. if you hit it hard enough on something to truly destroy it they usually look way more violent than that. that looks like a delam - delam is the epoxy's fault - manufacturing defect.
ShredLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I can't speak for if Neversummer will warranty it or not. It does look like in impact. Probably something blunt like a log. I've done a similar thing to other boards. Regardless, if it's not warrantied, I bet they'll ask you to send it in to their board repair wizard, Jose. The dude pulls of miracles. From what I can tell he is about the best in the business. I'm sure you'll be in good hands.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
The Rooster King

oh i'm not saying he didn't hit it on something - i believe he did... just not to the degree that we usually see things blow out, with stuff splintering or bubbling up.

either way it will be easy to fix as long as you've got the moisture out of it. so yea, come to think of it given how easy that would be to make look like it never happened they would probably just repair it rather than send you a new board. but you never know..

do not ride it like it is now and then expect them to honor it tho. if you get enough water in there it will rot the core and/or be impossible to get all the moisture out.

seeing that you're in AUS makes me feel like you should just fix it yourself or take it to a local pro repair shop (surf shop maybe) and pay no more than like $40 for them to make it look perfect again. unless you have a board to ride in the meantime it isn't worth sending it all the way back to NS in the states unless you're getting a new board for it and/or NS is covering the shipping $$... IMHO

Last edited by ShredLife; 05-29-2012 at 11:30 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TABLECHAIRS View Post
I know there are a couple of threads already on base delams but i wanted to share my experience and see if anyone had some new info.
Bought my SL 161 from the Boardroom in Vancouver for my Canada trip in 2010/11, i'm from Australia.
Did 4 weeks in BC and when i returned home i noticed a thin crack just above the steel edge about 10cm long.
Contacted the Boardroom and after much effort sending pics etc. they agreed to reimburse me for the repair if i could find someone local to fix the board. Now after a long time off i'm planning a trip to NZ and want to get my board repaired but the new 'customer service' guy is not interested in following up on the original promise. The board is still under warranty.
Anyway i've contacted NS hopefully they can help me out.

But just in case NS can't help, can anyone give me tips for fixing the board, check out the photo.
Hey,

I just sent you an email. But, I thought it would be good to post this as well. Just in case it might help someone with a similar repair. Other members were right and it does look like you hit something(probably a smooth object such as a rail, stump or rounded rock, which wouldn't show a gauge but would compress the edge). The edge is clearly bent on one side which pulled it away from the sidewall. It would take some kind of impact to bend the metal edge.

This is a fairly simple repair and I don't think you would need to straighten the edge. I think it will straighten out when clamped down.

Hey William,

I'm sorry to see this. Since you're in Australia and have a trip planned it sounds like the best solution would be to repair it. I had a shop here for 22 years and sold/repaired many boards. Never Summer are amongst the strongest and we have very few legitamate delams. There is a perimeter layer of rubber between the edge and fiberglass that when the board is pressed at high tempatures melts and forms an incredible bond. This is also the case below the top-sheet. I would have to physically evalute the board for a defect in craftsmanship/materials. Hopefully, I'll be able to guide you with a repair. I also reached out to one of our longtime reps who is in Australia and also has vast experience in the snowboard industry to try and help. He has been snowboarding in Australia as long as anyone, knows all the shops and has done many repairs. His name is Chris Hammond and he should also be contacting you.

For simple de-lam repairs you'll need.
1. 2-Ton Epoxy/24 hr.cure (this won't crack and is less likely to come apart when flexed than quick 5 min. epoxy)
ITW Devcon | Devcon Brand 2 Ton? Clear Epoxy
2.Quick grip or simple c-clamp One-Handed Mini Bar Clamps - Tools - IRWIN TOOLS
3. 2 6-12" pieces of plastic or metal.
4. Duct tape
5. Heat gun or hair dryer
6. File or sandpaper
Duct tape both base and top-sheet (just slightly above edge to create an epoxy dam) in area of repair to to keep any excess glue from running on the board.
Place board on its side and open up seperatining with a razor blade or thin screwdriver.
Mix epoxy with coffee stirrer.
Dab epoxy into seperated area with coffee stirrer or pop sicle stick.
Run heat gun or hair dryer in quick sweeps over area, to loosen epoxy, helping it to seep in.
Place metal or plastic piece on base and other on top sheet directly over area.
Clamp together, with clamp over he most extensive part of seperation. If you have use several clamps that would be best. For your size of repair I think 3 would cover it.
Let glue cure (harden) for 24 hrs, take of clamps, duct tape and plane down excess glue with file or sand paper.
The Chairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the info Vince!

Wow i don't know how i missed that before, i guess i was looking for an impact mark...
It must have been right on the rail cause the base and top side look fine.
I just looked along the rail and saw this...
Hopefully there is a way to repair it without screwing the rail...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1111.jpg (62.0 KB, 128 views)
TABLECHAIRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
The Rooster King

oh dude you hit something hard