give me an advice, please - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 01:00 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
I say fuck it, it'll last him longer. He's only going to be learning a few days after that then what. I learned on a stiff cambered Technine. It's not impossible just do it.

Don't get the 162 though that's way big. Go for the 157.5
Ahh. True, true. Not that you cant learn on it but the camber sections on C2 can be catchy if you arent aware of your body positioning and staying centered over the board. If thats the OP's choice I definitely agree to go smaller with the 157.5
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2012, 01:08 AM   #12 (permalink)

Rider's Choice is still plenty stiff, the c2 is not as forgiving as just btx or rocker - flat - rocker profile, and the magne is not everyone's cuppa tea too (I like it, btw).

Sure, I also learned on a camber board, with mountaineering boots + strap bindings because that's what I could find. But I was lucky to learn in deep powder, so it really didn't matter that much. Plus I had skated for years before this.

Bottom line: there are many more suitable beginner boards, but it doesn't mean that it's impossible to learn on the RC
lernr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 01:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdot84 View Post
Ahh. True, true. Not that you cant learn on it but the camber sections on C2 can be catchy if you arent aware of your body positioning and staying centered over the board. If thats the OP's choice I definitely agree to go smaller with the 157.5
Even better. He'll learn not to get sloppy
jdang307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #14 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdot84 View Post
The Lib TRS is definitely not a beginner board. As a beginner why would you get a stiffer board? In general if you are starting out you want a softer board because it will be more forgiving. The Riders choice is C2btx and medium stiffness. C2 isnt very forgiving when it comes to mistakes in riding and the Riders Choice is aimed more toward the aggressive rider.

Its been mentioned before that the Carbon Credit would be a better beginner board if sticking with GNU.
This. The RC is a great board I just wouldn't recommend it for an admitted beginner, and OP specifically asks "Is this a good board for a beginner?"
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #15 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdang307 View Post
Even better. He'll learn not to get sloppy
+1... This is like learning to drive on a standard car. Would you all suggest that every new driver learn on an automatic cause it's easier? I'm sure glad I didn't, or my balls might never have dropped!

CAMBER POSSY FUCK YEAH!!!

p.s. I know everyone's got their stories, but my GF has been learning to board for the last couple years. Started when she was 28, and she's not the most athletic, or the most coordinated! (her family and friends thought I was crazy for getting her into the sport at all!) She rented for the first couple days, then on an end of season sale we got her a medium stiffness, cambered board, with some medium stiffness bindings and boots. She's done really well, and this winter there was a Burton demo day, where she tried many of the alternative camber setups (flying V, rocker, flat) and while she liked the sintered bases on the boards over hers, she said she likes her camber more. If she can learn to snowboard anyone can!

Last edited by poutanen; 06-01-2012 at 11:16 AM.
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:16 PM   #16 (permalink)

+1 for the good board
you need to be persistent and have at least some amount of balls to progress...so if cash is not the problem get the board..everybody told him that 157.5cm is the right length so he is set...if its his first absolute time on the board he wont even know the difference between the board so who cares at least he is not the guy with two mystery boards lol
vukovi21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:30 AM   #17 (permalink)

so, guys if i decide to buy GNU carbon credit in this case do you advice me to buy wide(my foot size is 11.5)? and what size should i get? i also want to buy GNU's bindings.which bindings of gnu do you advice? and if it's possible to buy better bindings in a lower price can you advice me? and what about 32 boots?
cardinalsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
Reformed Creep-o-saurus

For a step in design they look rather weak. The cable just seems to float from the baseplate to the highback. I haven't tried them so I'm not speaking from experience here. The toe cap looks good on them though.

I'm an aggressive rider and really like traditional strap style bindings. I can get my toe strap so tight I wouldn't even notice if my heel strap came loose. In my experience burtons toe straps and ratchets are pretty damn good for the money. My GF just switched to a pair of mid-level burton bindings for that reason.

Hope this helps...
poutanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #19 (permalink)
Veteran Member

To The OP

I agree that 157 is a good size for you for all round.

As for which board I think it depends on how serious you are about getting into snowboarding and how athletic you are.

If you are pretty athletic and motivated I say skip the "beginner" stage and get a decent set up. It may be a little harder at first but snowboarding is not that hard and getting past the beginner stage to intermediate won't take long (if you are not very motivated or athletic ignore this and get a cheap beginner set up).

If you get a board and bindings that are best for beginners you'll have to trade them in and loose more cash in the long run.

+1 for burton bindings, missions are reasonably cheap (on sale) and pretty solid.

good luck.
dreampow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #20 (permalink)
ETM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalsin View Post
so, guys if i decide to buy GNU carbon credit in this case do you advice me to buy wide(my foot size is 11.5)? and what size should i get? i also want to buy GNU's bindings.which bindings of gnu do you advice? and if it's possible to buy better bindings in a lower price can you advice me? and what about 32 boots?
Thirtytwo boots are a good wide fit, forget them if you have a narrow foot. They are the only boots I fit due to my wide flippers.
I had a pair of "GNU" (they are really SP's SP? worldwide snowboarding ) fail on me after 6 runs. The ratchets are glued on and it simply fell off. Fail for those bindings.
ETM is offline   Reply With Quote