Board decision help please? - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 10:52 PM   #11 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Wait until the season is here and demo some boards. Try out some different companies because everyone is trying different stuff with camber profiles, sidecuts, etc. Plenty of great options out there, but ultimately it comes down to what you like and what works best for you. It just doesn't seem to me that you've ridden enough boards to know what you like, so spending big money on one right now just doesn't make much sense.
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2012, 10:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuhaoyang View Post
All Mountain Freestyle 162cm (Ex-Demo) #19034
Men's Freeride 158cm (Ex-Demo) #17685

I don't know if I got lucky, but my demo came pretty much brand new except for 1 or 2 very small scratches on the top sheet. Not even micro-scratches on the base. Might be worth a try for a very high quality product.

or arbor relapse? Maybe?

So the two boards you linked are really good? I'm not really good at deciding which boards are good and which boards are bad and all
Lynzoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Magne very much locks you into your turn. It takes over once you put it on edge.

There are a few brands you'll run into that have better marketing than actual product. With few exceptions the whole of Mervin is like that when you factor cost across the rest of the industry. Meaning for every Lib/Gnu out there I can probably name at least 3 boards that probably ride better or similarly for less money. Also they don't full edge wrap their boards and no matter how many times a fanboy or rep will argue with me, it does not improve durability. It promotes delams and those tucked edges get ripped out more than you think. Anyways, this is my opinion (that I back with real experience), and this is pretty much why you see only positive reviews. Also, personal reviews are a bit swayed as no one really wants to admit that they just dropped $600 on something they hate.

As for the Prior, I really can't say whether they are great boards or not as I have no first hand experience and don't really know anyone else that does, but I do know they have relatively thinner bases. Meaning easier to core shot. If you're still getting you all mountain legs under you it's not the best investment.

good reliable reviews here

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634

Last edited by Nivek; 06-07-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:24 PM   #14 (permalink)

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
Magne very much locks you into your turn. It takes over once you put it on edge.

There are a few brands you'll run into that have better marketing than actual product. With few exceptions the whole of Mervin is like that when you factor cost across the rest of the industry. Meaning for every Lib/Gnu out there I can probably name at least 3 boards that probably ride better or similarly for less money. Also they don't full edge wrap their boards and no matter how many times a fanboy or rep will argue with me, it does not improve durability. It promotes delams and those tucked edges get ripped out more than you think.

As for the Prior, I really can't say whether or not they are great boards or not, but I do know they have relatively thinner bases. Meaning easier to core shot. If you're still getting you all mountain legs under you it's not the best investment.
What board would you recommend and bindings, i'm considering the burton imperial boots for the reduced foot print. The kind of all mountain I'm going to be doing won't be swerving in and out of trees and hardcore mountain steeps. Just mountain runs at a resort with occasional jumps.

I'm not experienced in testing snowboards as the snowboards i have used, i don't remember although any help would be much appreciated in deciding on what board to get, my recommended width is 258 my recommended height is 160 but I want to make sure it's an agile board with fast curving

Thanks

-Jackson
Lynzoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Seriously dude, go ride some boards. It doesn't matter what others recommend when you can't really even give anyone an idea of what you're even wanting because, quite frankly, you don't even know.

GO DEMO SOME SHIT. If you had at least some idea of what you like in terms of camber, etc. then people could give you some decent recommendations, but given what you've provided, any recommendations are essentially a total shot in the dark.

Right now, it just seems like you're hellbent on buying something and you're soaking up marketing hype. That's a great way to spend a shit ton of money and not end up with what's right for you. Buy some boots that fit and are comfortable. If they're reduced footprint, great. But, understand that most reduced footprint boots aren't going to be particularly warm. When you reduce footprint, you have to remove bulk and bulk = insulation. If you're not at least a size 11, you don't need to even worry about a reduced footprint.
*Just re-read and saw that you're a 12. Reduced footprint would definitely help you. Also look into the Salomon F series. But, don't buy boots simply because they're a reduced footprint. If the boots that fit you best aren't, buy them anyway and get a wide board. Nothing is more important than well fitting boots.

Last edited by linvillegorge; 06-07-2012 at 11:45 PM.
linvillegorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:21 AM   #16 (permalink)

there are some places where it's not too easy to demo anything. *cough* edmonton.
Well, you still can, but I think it works like $40/day, which is a pretty big chunk of change.
Also, I'm not sure where the thin bases thing comes from, I'll take a picture tomorrow, but I think it's around the same? Or I'm biased in my own thinking.
yuhaoyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:31 AM   #17 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Honestly its hearsay as I stated I don't have any first hand experience.

Unless you work in the Prior factory I don't see how you can take a picture to show their bases aren't thinner...

OP: I recommended a bunch already. For boots you should ignore anyone that gives advice over the internet and go to a shop. You won't know if it fits till its on your foot. As far as footprint reduction, there are plenty of boards that will fit your probably size 12's so don't worry about trying to get a "smaller" boot. Just focus on what fits your foot best.

For bindings, I can't say enough good things about Raiden Phantoms, Flow NXT-AT's, or Flux DMCC Lights.

Also, buy my things?

Last edited by Nivek; 06-08-2012 at 12:35 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:24 AM   #18 (permalink)

Unwrapped edge on inside of swallowtail, a bit over 1mm not including dampening foil. Seems fine to me. The ones I linked have full edge wrap. Think of it this way, they use the same materials and construction as winterstick, and that's good enough for me. Still no pic, tomorrow if I remember.
Yes they are very good boards, can even get a spearhead for 400 if that's your thing. Also check out nidecker maybe.
Flux bindings are awesome, unless you have narrow feet. Pick to match flex of board
yuhaoyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 01:36 AM   #19 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuhaoyang View Post
Unwrapped edge on inside of swallowtail, a bit over 1mm not including dampening foil. Seems fine to me. The ones I linked have full edge wrap. Think of it this way, they use the same materials and construction as winterstick, and that's good enough for me. Still no pic, tomorrow if I remember.
Yes they are very good boards, can even get a spearhead for 400 if that's your thing. Also check out nidecker maybe.
Flux bindings are awesome, unless you have narrow feet. Pick to match flex of board
Oh well that would be how. Oh well that sounds normal... huh. I don't know. Guess my hearsay is now wrong.

Also, buy my things?
Old 06-08-2012, 02:12 AM   #20 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I have narrow feet and I still love Flux! I just downsize to mediums.

Nidecker has me a little sketched out right now due to some of the production issues that have been seen in some of the Jones boards - particularly the splits. Hopefully they get it all worked out because some of those Jones boards look siiiiiiick!