Board decision help please? - Page 3 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 02:31 AM   #21 (permalink)

Default Testing out boards

Testing out boards is hard and a lot of money, if you go down for a snowtrip and rent that would mean i'd change everyday to test out
different snowboards, thats why im looking at best rated boards, the boards i've done in the past i don't even remember what types they were

-Thanks
Lynzoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2012, 05:25 AM   #22 (permalink)

Default New Board for 600...

Check out the Never Summer Proto CT for an all mountain board leaning more towards park or the neversummer heritage for a very well balanced all mountain board.. both come in a wide version.. DC also has some pretty sweet boards now.. that new flat rocker flat profile is awesome for jibbing pressing and popping.. really easy to manipulate! Where ever you do decide to order from.. call them and ask to see if they give military discounts.. most stores usually do and all you have to do is tell them that you are in.. I saved about 100 bucks on my 2012 evo on evo.com... although i am in the military.. i dont think of it as lying if you're not in the military... rather i'd call it fellow boarders helping each other out! when you do buy your board.. also make sure to tell them to send some vinyls/ decals with it.. most stores have a shit ton of them lying around.. you just gotta ask!!!
side note.. just picked up some gnu park bindings.. had union kfc's.. dont think im ever going back!
eclipse1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 07:58 PM   #23 (permalink)

Ill take a look, cheers for the help, i went in store yesterday and the employee said i should get
a skunk ape or burton custom x but the problem with the burton custom is that the bindings require est
which i think is a scam

Thanks

-Jackson
Lynzoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:04 PM   #24 (permalink)

debatable whether EST is worth it. The ease of use is, but the price... not so much. Maybe a normal binding with EST plates? Burton has those and so does flux (no extra cost from them)
skunk ape is good too, you COULD look at gnu, it's mervin too so some of them have the same tech and materials as lib. Billy goat maybe?

Edit: nvm same price LOL
yuhaoyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:39 AM   #25 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Your shop dude is an idiot. EST is not a scam. Do I personally endorse it? No, I like my knees un-blown. One loose screw on EST lets the whole damn binding twist and you die. Even on like Raiden mini discs that only use two screws, if one is loose the binding just jiggles a bit. However is does give a bit better board feel and flex and allows for nearly infinite stance options. It does what they say. I just don't think its really better enough to justify the propriety.

CustomX? Really? Hell no don't buy that. It's a full cambered gnarly carving/freeride board. From Burton look at the Sherlock, but the grip isn't fantastic if your concerned with special edge tech level of ice grip.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:23 PM   #26 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I agree with Nivek. That shop guy gave you horrid advice. What knowledgeable rider would suggest a Custom X to a rider coming off rentals? Sure, you can ride it, but it will likely ride you first.

I'm 50/50 with EST. I personally wouldn't buy one, but I do love riding them at demos. The board feel and flex is nice and so far, none have failed me. Still, the whole EST system makes me sketch. My sister-in-law rides an EST setup and I check her bindings after every run to make sure it's still tight (it has never loosened, but she isn't an aggressive rider).

Magnetraction is something I am a fan of. The "too grippy" aspect of it can be resolved with a light detune. You can detune magnetraction without losing that great edge hold on the ice. That's the thing though, do you ride a ton of icey conditions? I do... I also hate that Mervin boards don't have full edge wraps.

Look for a mid to mid-stiff flexing snowboard. You'll probably like a directional twin better than a true twin since you don't do park, but twins are just fine.

Burton Joystick Snowboard 2012

K2 Lifelike Snowboard 2012

Never Summer SL or Proto Snowboards | Never Summer Industries - Snowboards, Longboards, Clothing and Accessories - Powered by CLVR TV

I haven't tried Arbor yet, but hear nothing but good things about them so check them out as well.