Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Board decision help please? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/48696-board-decision-help-please.html)

Lynzoid 06-07-2012 02:14 AM

Board decision help please?

I'm looking at a snowboard to buy and im veering towards Lib Tech, due to reviews and magne traction
but i'm open to most boards. I'm 6 foot 1 165 lbs Goofy footed and i want a good all mountain board for
around 600 or less but I can go a bit over.

I was looking at the Lib Tech Dark Series, Attack banana, gnu riders choice and a couple of others
I don't really know much about other brands and such which is why i'm here!

Any help will be largely appreciated, emailing me on jacksoncollins1994@gmail.com will make it easier for me
to talk but here should be fine as well

Many thanks

-Jackson

IndraRipper 06-07-2012 04:57 AM

Well I loved the skate Banana!
BTW what size foot are you? You may need a wide.

Leo 06-07-2012 07:24 AM

With a budget of $600 just for your snowboard, your options are WIDE open. Could you be a little more specific with your riding style? Do you ride any park? If so, are you more jumps or more jibs? Do you like to charge hard and tackle difficult terrain or are you into carving up groomers?

"All-mountain" is too vague.

bseracka 06-07-2012 10:33 AM

What's your ability level? Do you have a preference for camber, rocker, or hybrid?

Lynzoid 06-07-2012 06:30 PM

Thanks for the help

Uhmm not to sure what style i am with rocker, camber and all of that i've only rented boards before
With my normal shoes (rabens, vans) I'm US MENS 12 so i think i have to get a wide board
I was looking at the gnu billy goat but there are no wide version, so my feet would hang over .8cm (8mm)

Im goofy footed, by all mountain i mean just going down mountain runs (groomers) and just being quick and doing jumps not so much park with pipes and rails, boxes. I just want an agile board that goes down mountain runs and handles well and is good with jumps and control

All the help is much appreciated

PS: I'm intermediate skill level

Thanks!

EvilWilberforce 06-07-2012 07:18 PM

Do you own boots or have you just been hiring them so far?

If you don't have any, I'd really suggest that the first priority with that 600 is to get some decent, comfy boots! Your budget is plenty to get a nice pair, a decent deck, and still have some leftover for refreshments on the slope :)

Being a size 12, you might want to consider getting a boot with a reduced footprint size, such as the Burton Imperial or Salomon F20. I've heard good things about both these boots and it would open up your board choice a bit more as you may get away without having to go for a wide board.

The Capita Totally Fk'n Awesome may be a good option for you - it's what I ride and I'm a 80% mountain, 20% park kind of guy. It's not officially a 'wide' board, however it is made a bit wider than standard - I ride a 159 and the width is 25.9cm i think.

Nivek 06-07-2012 07:59 PM

Magnetraction is overrated in my opinion. In fact I think it's too much and not the best for someone honing their skills.

Look at the Arbor Coda 157 (griptech makes up for nonwide), Signal Omni 156 Wide, Ride Berzerker 155 but you'll have to check your stance width and angles with your bindings of choice ON the board to see if you clear it, Flow Drifter 156 (do the same thing as with the Berzerker), Salomon Grip 158w (this one will ride a bit shorter with the shape and rocker profile and all), I quite enjoyed this years Forum Destroyer Doubledog for an all mountain twin so if they didn't change it for '13 get a 156w, Nitro Team Gullwing Wide 157, Nitro Pro Series Eero (will fit 12's)...

I can give more details about each one if requested.

ilikecoupons 06-07-2012 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nivek (Post 507341)
Magnetraction is overrated in my opinion. In fact I think it's too much and not the best for someone honing their skills.

I agree, magnetraction feels really sticky to me. However, some people like that.

Lynzoid 06-07-2012 08:59 PM

For the boots, I'm buying a pair along with the board

The budget for the board is 600$ I'm also buying boots and bindings alongside as extra costs

With magnetraction, i've just found all positive reviews which is why i thought it would be a good option

Also, lib tech have really good reviews for boards which is why i was more towards them and haven't really looked
into other board brands. I lack experience with a lot of boards as all i've done in the past is rent I'm just looking for a really good board that is suitable for all mountain riding and just terrain jumps on the run not much park riding

Thanks a lot for all the help

yuhaoyang 06-07-2012 10:36 PM

All Mountain Freestyle 162cm (Ex-Demo) #19034
Men's Freeride 158cm (Ex-Demo) #17685

I don't know if I got lucky, but my demo came pretty much brand new except for 1 or 2 very small scratches on the top sheet. Not even micro-scratches on the base. Might be worth a try for a very high quality product. :thumbsup:

or arbor relapse? Maybe?