Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Decisions??? (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/48705-decisions.html)

woodzie 06-08-2012 02:41 AM

Decisions???
 
Hey,

Aussie snowboarder here moving to Canada in October for the ski season. I have snowboard due to lack of snow where I live but I have wakeboard the last 5 years. I need some advice with brands/ boards / bindings /boots.

I am 5'9 ft 60kg and size 8 shoe. I tend to use my board in the park mainly but have a concern on the fresh pow down the mountain if I get a board used only for the park.

I have done alittle research and I like the 2012 Burton Nug 146. pros?? cons??

I really wanted some advice from someone who knows more than myself.(newbie)

Thank you

eclipse1018 06-08-2012 05:49 AM

How much are you looking to spend? i think the Burton nug was rated best board of the year for 2012.. i think from transworld.. im not really a burton fan though. i think they're over priced for their craftsmanship and technology.. if this is your first board.. i think Ride is a great company.. good quality and technology.. you get real bang for your buck.. check out the agenda, machete, crush, berzerker.. dc is also pretty good.. but a little bit more expensive..

ETM 06-08-2012 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eclipse1018 (Post 507376)
i think the Burton nug was rated best board of the year for 2012.. i think from transworld..

Magazine reviews are paid adverts

eclipse1018 06-08-2012 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ETM (Post 507377)
Magazine reviews are paid adverts

Yea thats what i was thinking to.. with burton and their huge advertising campaign.. it seems like thats the first thing that pops into a lot of peoples head when you say the word snowboard.. I also feel because of that, Burton can slap their name on an old piece of plywood and sell it for 400$ or more..

woodzie 06-08-2012 06:56 AM

I guess Burton is like Liquid Force in the wakeboarding world?

I was looking around 1k for board/bindings and Boots? is that realistic?

I want board I can use regular and goofy, I think its classed as a twin-like?? correct me if I am wrong.

Anyway, I just dont want to be forced into any board by the salesman in Vancouver because thats what they like or the store is paid more to sell..? if that makes sense.

eclipse1018 06-08-2012 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodzie (Post 507381)
I guess Burton is like Liquid Force in the wakeboarding world?

I was looking around 1k for board/bindings and Boots? is that realistic?

I want board I can use regular and goofy, I think its classed as a twin-like?? correct me if I am wrong.

Anyway, I just dont want to be forced into any board by the salesman in Vancouver because thats what they like or the store is paid more to sell..? if that makes sense.

for 1k you can get a very good setup.. but this is your first personal board.. i would focus on the boots and bindings first.. i believe that until you own your own personal board for a while.. then you really dont have a platform to base another board off of.. example comparing stiffness and flex.. pretend you are looking at a board with a stiffness of 4 and a flex of 5.. these numbers are pointless unless you have a board that you are accustomed to and compare the differences.. all mountain is the best way to start in my opinion.

Regular/Goofy = True Twin Tip.. that means the bindings are evenly spaced and centered with the same amount of flex in the tip and tails.. and then their are directional twins.. different amounts of flex or slightly offset..

in terms of shopping.. i think its good to go into stores and get fitted and find something that will suit you.. in terms of buying.. you get the best prices online! Your local store probably has very little competition and the internet has tons.. retailer competition= lower consumer prices! :D

woodzie 06-08-2012 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eclipse1018 (Post 507384)
for 1k you can get a very good setup.. but this is your first personal board.. i would focus on the boots and bindings first.. i believe that until you own your own personal board for a while.. then you really dont have a platform to base another board off of.. example comparing stiffness and flex.. pretend you are looking at a board with a stiffness of 4 and a flex of 5.. these numbers are pointless unless you have a board that you are accustomed to and compare the differences.. all mountain is the best way to start in my opinion.

Regular/Goofy = True Twin Tip.. that means the bindings are evenly spaced and centered with the same amount of flex in the tip and tails.. and then their are directional twins.. different amounts of flex or slightly offset..

in terms of shopping.. i think its good to go into stores and get fitted and find something that will suit you.. in terms of buying.. you get the best prices online! Your local store probably has very little competition and the internet has tons.. retailer competition= lower consumer prices! :D

I heard this from a few guys who have snowboard a few seasons here in Australia. But apparently our pow has nothing on the Canadian pow.

I agree with the online market, I just dont know what I am looking for.. I had a visit into the local store where I live on the Gold Coast (known for its great surf) so no snow whatever, and the sales guy really didnt bother to set me up in boots/bindings or board.... Unless I was going to buy. :S So thats why I have joined up on here. :)

Argo 06-08-2012 10:35 AM

I would save your $1000 and drive down to a shop in Washington state after you get to Canada. You will be able to get a lot more for your money. Boards in Canada and especially Australia are way more than in the us

woodzie 06-08-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argo (Post 507400)
I would save your $1000 and drive down to a shop in Washington state after you get to Canada. You will be able to get a lot more for your money. Boards in Canada and especially Australia are way more than in the us

Agreed. I will in LA, and Vegas before I fly up to Vancouver.

Are there any good stores I can buy from in CA??


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2